Thread: Encouragement

Default Encouragement

I just thought I would try to encourage all the hunters out there to report to your area wildlife biologist and just let them know whats out there. I feel that I have a Griz problem in my area of 14A. The bad thing is that you can only kill one every 4 years. The two bordering units you can kill one a year. Saw alot of Cow moose without calves this time out and had 2 Griz within 1/2 mile of camp. During bear bait season all I saw were Griz. When I got out of the woods I headed to the local F&G office, turned in my sheep harvest report and sat down with the bio. He seemed a little surprised with all the Griz activity within such a small area. Just my thoughts on how we can help the Bio's do their job and manage our wildlife.

Thanks
    -Caleb-

Angry

Save your breath. You are not a professional, therefore your words fall on deaf ears. They would not hear of the wolf and bear problems, until it was disastorous in 16B. Internet ink to warn the other hunters that might be thinking of hunting this unit, is about the best you can do.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Killer View Post
    I just thought I would try to encourage all the hunters out there to report to your area wildlife biologist and just let them know whats out there. I feel that I have a Griz problem in my area of 14A. The bad thing is that you can only kill one every 4 years. The two bordering units you can kill one a year. Saw alot of Cow moose without calves this time out and had 2 Griz within 1/2 mile of camp. During bear bait season all I saw were Griz. When I got out of the woods I headed to the local F&G office, turned in my sheep harvest report and sat down with the bio. He seemed a little surprised with all the Griz activity within such a small area. Just my thoughts on how we can help the Bio's do their job and manage our wildlife.

Thanks
    Just post the GPS sighting locations here and problem solved..... your welcome
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    Just post the GPS sighting locations here and problem solved..... your welcome
    Come kill some bears!!! I usually dont see many bears, but I have personally seen 9 Griz, 0 Blacks.
    -Caleb-

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Kodiak has gone to the bears

We have way too many bears, PERIOD! since when was it good game management to bring bears back to the point of them raiding our dumpsters and dumps? I was born here and live here year round and the local govts believe what the biologist say, but we have never in all my years here had to be careful while dumping garbage, let alone dump on certain day so we can accomodate the bears. Next thing you know we will have bear feeder! Unfortunatley we will have to have a bear kill or injure a person before we control the population. Once we hunted bear for food, now we have deer, elk, goats and safeway. Long ago bear is all we had for land mammals. Today it would be hard for me to eat a bear that could be friequenting the dump! We used to hunt for days to find one, now you can go to the dump! Biologist call this boom "succesful game management"
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I went out hunting tonight here in 14A. Saw lots of bear sign, and very little moose sign. My buddy also saw a small Grizz last week in the area we are hunting. Might explain why we haven't see jack diddly squat.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Dumps are the best place to see bears in all the places I've been unless the salmon are running good.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    We have way too many bears, PERIOD! since when was it good game management to bring bears back to the point of them raiding our dumpsters and dumps? I was born here and live here year round and the local govts believe what the biologist say, but we have never in all my years here had to be careful while dumping garbage, let alone dump on certain day so we can accomodate the bears. Next thing you know we will have bear feeder! Unfortunatley we will have to have a bear kill or injure a person before we control the population. Once we hunted bear for food, now we have deer, elk, goats and safeway. Long ago bear is all we had for land mammals. Today it would be hard for me to eat a bear that could be friequenting the dump! We used to hunt for days to find one, now you can go to the dump! Biologist call this boom "succesful game management"
    In some cases those bears are worth $15,000 each to the economy of the state. That is a success.

In the area of 14a we're hunting, wev'e seen one moose a calf did'nt see mom. Lots of bear sign, I guess after Friday we'll get more serius about finding some bear meat as we've scored no moose meat!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Save your breath. You are not a professional, therefore your words fall on deaf ears. They would not hear of the wolf and bear problems, until it was disastorous in 16B.
    This is very similar to the rhetoric used by some of the radical animal rights groups when they are bashing predator control. They say that ADF&G does not do proper surveys of wolves and bears, rather they just rely on reports from hunters and trappers which are inaccurate. We have come full circle here - Akres is now parroting the radical animal rights groups.

Save your breath. You are not a professional, therefore your words fall on deaf ears. They would not hear of the wolf and bear problems, until it was disastorous in 16B. Internet ink to warn the other hunters that might be thinking of hunting this unit, is about the best you can do.
    Completely wrong. Much to our delight we are now 1 griz every year now in 14B. I've been complaining for three years running now and this year they made the 1 every 4 year thing go away. I'm just one of the dozens of guys that have been complaining.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default I will do my part

Where are they at? Can I get there by ATV? Plane? I am dog tired after my moose hunt but will do my share.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.