Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks Management Area Moose Hunting

Default Fairbanks Management Area Moose Hunting

Hi Everyone! I put a thread on here a couple days ago for Ft. Wainwright moose hunting. I havent see any bulls on post. Anyone know any good spots still in the Fairbanks Management Area to hunt? I've been gone for a year and haven't had time to scout. My time is limited and I dont care how big the bull is either. Just want some meat and I've never shot one with my bow. Thanks for the help.

Default place to try

Try south of Old Murphy Dome Rd. Pipeline to Goldstream , good area. Chena Lakes to Nordale Rd. good area. Just saw a nice 36 inch bull On the Mitchell between Peger and University south side looking for cows had to honk so he would not cross the road. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggerdik View Post
    Try south of Old Murphy Dome Rd. Pipeline to Goldstream , good area. Chena Lakes to Nordale Rd. good area. Just saw a nice 36 inch bull On the Mitchell between Peger and University south side looking for cows had to honk so he would not cross the road. Have fun.
    Little to much info don't ya think, ever think others maybe hunting out there still? This post is exactly the type of post that has ruined Chicken ridge, and packed other places. The FMA isn't that big, people can get out and figure things out. Hey can anyone tell me exactly where there is a curl and a half sheep? I don't have time to do any of the pre-hunting activities, so was just hoping someone could just tell me where one is. Come on.

Wink

This is valuable information to all hunters. How can it possibly be construed as being too much? If there are people already hunting those locations, they already know the deal and it is a moot point. If someone can point a hunter to a moose that they don't want, they should do it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    This is valuable information to all hunters. How can it possibly be construed as being too much? If there are people already hunting those locations, they already know the deal and it is a moot point. If someone can point a hunter to a moose that they don't want, they should do it.
    Cause it is a place that is being hunted, a moose that has been watched and hunted about 18 days of the month so far. Now everyone on here that didn't put time in the field to find an area that a bull is hanging out, in an area that recieves pretty good pressure, is going to be stomping around. For the reasons mentioned, its not a moot point. I think someone on here stated before loose lips sink ships. If you want to hunt, complete the hunt; research, scout, and practice your skills. Even getting on google earth for a night, for a person with limited time, is better scouting then getting on here and asking where is there a moose I can go kill?

I agree with Hoyd 100%. There are people out there that have done their research and prepared themselves for the season. They have taken their time to scout the area and maybe are stalking a bull that they have seen long ago. That is not a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by rippinlip View Post
    I agree with Hoyd 100%. There are people out there that have done their research and prepared themselves for the season. They have taken their time to scout the area and maybe are stalking a bull that they have seen long ago. That is not a moot point.

So, maybe the guy should have sold the information to the OP?

Default FMA info...

I agree...the guy asked for some very valuable information and if Diggerdik gave away his honey hole then good on him. If not...then he knows how valuable that info is and in the least sent that info via PM.

BTW...anyone know where I can dipnet some reds with out a walk in, charter or scaling down a rock-sliding cliff? Shouldn't be too valuable to anyone.

PS: My PM inbox is full so just post that info for all to see.

Thanks!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Is it legal

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    It's not legal to use radio's to point out a moose to another hunter. Is it legal to use the internet to point out the location of a Moose ?

There was a bull, right in the middle of the day, right at the intersection of GoldStream and the Steese on our way up to the Haul Road last week, and was there again on our way back. How big of a secret could this possibly be? Bulls move miles this time of year collecting cows..I always figured that if you were hunting in a suburban area you'd could hardly call it a protected "honey hole"...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    There was a bull, right in the middle of the day, right at the intersection of GoldStream and the Steese on our way up to the Haul Road last week, and was there again on our way back. How big of a secret could this possibly be? Bulls move miles this time of year collecting cows..I always figured that if you were hunting in a suburban area you'd could hardly call it a protected "honey hole"...
    There are plenty of secrets hunting spots with in the FMA. It isn't a large area, but is bow specific, with a good moose population. I have a buddy that shoots a decent bull (50 plus twice) every single year in the FMA, he is not a road hunter, and through years of trial and error, he has found a great spot where moose move through every year (you're right they move alot this time of year). Bulls do not move as many miles in the FMA as they do out in the middle of now where, and I assume this is do to the number of cows in the area (they do move though). I understand nothing is protected, unless you own the property, but there are areas that are at least in my mind, that are little "honey holes." You do run the risk of running into other hunters when you hunt the FMA(again do to good moose numbers/bow restrictions), and that alone is even more of a reason not to be so specific about a location of a bull. This is just my opinion, and some may disagree, and thats fine. To each his own.

Default hunting

Thanks for all the help. I didnt get time to scout this year for the Bow season due to my deployment to Iraq thats the only reason I'm asking for some help. Its not that I didnt get out and scout myself. Thanks though.

Default good luck

some on here do not know what huntig pressure is .per se you might see some others hunting !!! What a freekin joke .

I hope you have a great hunt after your trip to IRAQ

definatly good luck Jw.....I only knew of two bulls one of which is now dead.

there is some decent spots in the management area however it's not the hunt it used to be just a few years ago before the cow permits numbers tripled. It used to be fun, before every hill and dale started calling themselves bowhunters, 4 wheelers running wild, and the current housing development took over. Oh well, I think some people call that evolution right?

and btw, it's an extreme rarity to hear of someone killing moose on a yearly basis in the fma compared to how many people there are hunting it. Your odds of being this person are akin to drawing a tok sheep permit ever year you're allowed to do so! Not impossible, just extremely unlikely!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert2968 View Post
    some on here do not know what huntig pressure is .per se you might see some others hunting !!! What a freekin joke .

I hope you have a great hunt after your trip to IRAQ
    Please clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    definatly good luck Jw.....I only knew of two bulls one of which is now dead.

there is some decent spots in the management area however it's not the hunt it used to be just a few years ago before the cow permits numbers tripled. It used to be fun, before every hill and dale started calling themselves bowhunters, 4 wheelers running wild, and the current housing development took over. Oh well, I think some people call that evolution right?

and btw, it's an extreme rarity to hear of someone killing moose on a yearly basis in the fma compared to how many people there are hunting it. Your odds of being this person are akin to drawing a tok sheep permit ever year you're allowed to do so! Not impossible, just extremely unlikely!
    You're right Tradbow, you know everything. I know a couple people that tag out darn near every year in the FMA. You know every moose in the FMA? I do agree it is not what it was.

Hey at least your in an area with some bulls around. Live down here with the valley trash and your lucky to find a paddle horn.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Hey at least your in an area with some bulls around. Live down here with the valley trash and your lucky to find a paddle horn.
    Pike,
    Do you guys have a bow only area? I don't know a ton about that area, just curious.
    Thanks.

Hoyt,

Nope I'm not saying I dont know anyone that doesnt tag out every year (I know someone who does on MOST years!)...what I'm saying is it's extremely RARE these days to do it consistently! Sorry to piss in your wheaties! I'd offer you a beer but I think you might complain about it being to cold too :P!

And two bulls that I saw is my own personal experience this year...not much to get too excited for!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Pike,
    Do you guys have a bow only area? I don't know a ton about that area, just curious.
    Thanks.
    No the valley is open for rifle. But they did shift our season for 5 days till the 25th. So on Friday we're gonna give it all we got.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast