Thread: S&w 460

Default S&w 460

My buddy was talking about getting a .460 to take on our PWS deer/bear hunt so I went and looked at one while I was at Wally World. It is an impressive piece! The cartridge looks almost as long as a 30-30 cartridge!

What is the general opinion of the S&W 460 regarding shootability? Does it kick like a rented mule or is it fairly mild? Is it that more ballistically advantaged over .44 as a protection piece? It seems a little heavy and bulky (5" model) for a defensive side-arm while hunting compared to a 4" Redhawk or 629 (.44)? Can you shoot .45 colt or other rounds through it?

Thanks,
    Tim

It's essentially a 454 on steroids. The cartridge was designed with speed as the ultimate goal, but it can still shoot heavier bullets at higher velocities than either the 454 or 44 mag. You can shoot everything from 45 S&W Short (200gr@800fps), all the way through the screaming Hornady 460 (200gr@2200fps). Ballistic performance is well beyond even the best 44 loads. Look at the various threads in the handgun section comparing the 44 and the 454, then consider you have even more flexibility by adding the 460 to the mix.

As far as the gun design...I find it just as easy to carry my 2.5" .500 as it was to carry my 7.5" SRH in .454. If I had ever gotten around to shortening the SRH bbl to 5", that may have changed though. There are plenty of holster options for the 5" guns and I find the chest carry is best for me and my field activities.

Recoil is recoil. If you've got concerns you can practice with lighter loads until you can move up to handling the heavier loads. A 454 has a significantly different recoil impulse than a 44 mag, but it's not unlearnable for anyone with a little time and dedication. I'd imagine the same holds true for the heavy bullet 460 loads as well. I know shooting my 500 isn't nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be. I also know I'll never sit down and shoot a box of 600gr ammo just for giggles. I can shoot the 320s as long as my wallet can support it though. Find the happy spot with your load's capabilities combined with your ability to effectively utilize those loads. A well-placed bullet from a 44 mag is much more effective than a poor shot with a 460 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    Recoil is recoil. If you've got concerns you can practice with lighter loads until you can move up to handling the heavier loads. A 454 has a significantly different recoil impulse than a 44 mag, but it's not unlearnable for anyone with a little time and dedication. I'd imagine the same holds true for the heavy bullet 460 loads as well. I know shooting my 500 isn't nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be. I also know I'll never sit down and shoot a box of 600gr ammo just for giggles. I can shoot the 320s as long as my wallet can support it though. Find the happy spot with your load's capabilities combined with your ability to effectively utilize those loads. A well-placed bullet from a 44 mag is much more effective than a poor shot with a 460 S&W.
    Good info. I'll look in the handgun threads, forgot to search there.

"A well-placed bullet from a 44 mag is much more effective than a poor shot with a 460 S&W."

That's what I told my buddy; buy it but bring the .44 since he's shot it a zillion times vs. taking a piece that he may not be comfy with.

Thanks for your insight.

Tim

PLEASE don't buy from Wally World

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    PLEASE don't buy from Wally World

+1...What he said!

If you need to go to a big box store, at least use Fred Meyer's. Honestly, I'd go to one of the local stores and see if they can match (or beat?) Wally's price. I think you'll be surprised, and they'll have a larger assortment of usually better quality ammunition and accessories for you to look through as well.