Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you recommend a rifle to me?

Default Can you recommend a rifle to me?

Well I had another post asking about the TC Icon, but due to not many responses... I figured I'd start a new one.

I'd like to buy a rifle in 243 win. that has pretty nice wood and is blued. I don't want to buy a custom rifle worth thousands of dollars... but just under $1000 I could probably swing. So, let me know what you think, what you like, own, etc... and any advice you have.

schmidty

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Well I had another post asking about the TC Icon, but due to not many responses... I figured I'd start a new one.

I'd like to buy a rifle in 243 win. that has pretty nice wood and is blued. I don't want to buy a custom rifle worth thousands of dollars... but just under $1000 I could probably swing. So, let me know what you think, what you like, own, etc... and any advice you have.

schmidty
    You know, thats like a loaded question. Like whats the best car? Question is, what do you like and what do you want to do with it. Some folks like a sportscar, some see little use for one, like me, I want my 4x4 in diesel with 8 feet of bed. Are you going to hunt some critter with it, or try to shoot numerous bullets through the same hole at a 1000 yards? Some of us like big bore lever actions that will sling 420 grains of lead accurately out to about 200 yards or so, some find that that is not very useful or interesting. I like Ruger No. 1 rifles, and I enjoy my lever action guns. I'm a lefty and both of these types suit my shooting style and pique my "ballistic interests". Timing plays a lot with what we own at times as well. What deal you find, in what model, when you can afford it. Within a budget, if you don't have many guns, you might want to look at what is the most useful across the board. If you want to hunt black bear and moose you might want something a little bigger. Some will say thats enough gun, some will say that a good rifleman can do anything with the .243. Quite often, form follows fuction, but sometimes they're just cool. What are you looking to do with it?

Find a nicely cared-for Sako; anything earlier than the model 75 should be in your price range, and they usually have nice wood with a really deep metal bluing. If you're looking for something new...with your desire for pretty wood and matching bluing, you're pretty much stuck with Browning as neither Remington nor Winchester offer anything with nice wood until you hit the custom-shop rifles, and I've never seen a new-style Ruger with nice wood (my opinion/YMMV).

Default Look at the used market as well

I would post a message on the Swap & Sell Forum and look for a nice used rifle. There are a blue million .243 rifles in service and if its in good condition you'll be served just as well by a used gun as a new one.

You need to say if you want a bolt action, lever action, semi-auto, pump, or single shot. In .243 Winchester you can choose almost any kind of platform and find a suitable rifle. If you are looking to buy a new rifle the Remington Model 7 (or 700) CDL is a beautiful rifle in the classic style. There are mixed reports on Remington quality right now, but all in all I expect you would be very satisfied with the Model 7. The Ruger Hawkeye is also a nice rifle at a very reasonable price. There are a plethora of options available in .243 rifles and many times its like trying to convince someone "That my wife is prettier than yours!" or "Blondes are better looking than brunettes!" Tell us a bit more about what you want and I'll try to add some more options.

Default Ruger #1

Gunbroker has several Ruger #1's available in 243Win. Some were NIB and some were used but most looked to be in very good shape.I have been wanting one of their RSI models for as long as I can remember.

Just out of curiosity, why do you specifically want a wood stock? I have a Ruger model M77 in .243 with a synthetic stock and love it. I have had enough alders slap the stock and bump ups on rocks to know that a wood stock on my gun would be pretty ugly by now.

I also like the triple action safety switches on the M77, my Howa seems to always have the bolt open on me when i walk through the thick crap. I'm sure there might be better guns out there, but my Ruger has served me more than well.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    Gunbroker has several Ruger #1's available in 243Win. Some were NIB and some were used but most looked to be in very good shape.I have been wanting one of their RSI models for as long as I can remember.
    The Ruger No. 1's have some of the best wood found in production wood stocks in my opinion. I'll see if I can post a pic of mine here in a bit. Here is a good sight for the #1

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=63366

Default CZ

Try this one on for size http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-fs/ They also make them with a classic stock.
    Drink indigenous.

Well first off it is gonna be a 243. I'm not opposed to lever action, but it will probably be a bolt action gun. I'm going to use it for predators, varmints, and deer... not in alaska though. I am from the midwest so when I'm hunting there it will get its use. Not stomping through the alders so the wood shouldn't get too banged up. Does that help guys?

Well first off it is gonna be a 243. I'm not opposed to lever action, but it will probably be a bolt action gun. I'm going to use it for predators, varmints, and deer... not in alaska though. I am from the midwest so when I'm hunting there it will get its use. Not stomping through the alders so the wood shouldn't get too banged up. Does that help guys?
    So you've decided on a bolt action, blued .243 cal. rifle for less than a grand. Sounds like your ready to go to your local gun shops and see whats out there.

There are a lot of rifles that fit the bill you mention: blued, wood stock and in .243 Winchester. I recommended the Remington Model 7 (& 700) in the CDL model or a Ruger Hawkeye in an earlier post and still think you should give each one a look. In addition you might check out the Kimber 84M, but don't tell anyone here if you buy one, according to many on this forum all Kimbers are suppose to suck and their customer service is among the worst in the business. IME The Kimbers are nice looking rifles that perform admirably and the street value on the Classic is right at $1000. The Savage Model 14 American Classic is another bolt action rifle that some swear by and others swear at. It is a very good value and you could do a lot worse, though it would not be my first choice for aesthetic reasons. Let me encourage you to just look around at area gun shops or at websites until you find a particular rifle you like or a find something at a good price and ask about that particular gun. Most rifles have positive and negative attributes, but most will suffice for all practical purposes. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Sounds like your ready to go to your local gun shops and see whats out there.
    Ok, I don't want to sound rude... but I want to hear YOUR opinions. I own a few rifles, and I know most of what is out there. I will be looking but I wanted someone to tell me which ones they like that fit that mold.

Armymark, have you ever shot a nice Browning BLR in 243 or similar? That one might be something I would consider...

Thanks guys for the responses,
    schmidty

Ok, I don't want to sound rude... but I want to hear YOUR opinions. I own a few rifles, and I know most of what is out there. I will be looking but I wanted someone to tell me which ones they like that fit that mold.

schmidty
    I get your question now, I think. I recently bought my wife a Tikka T3 in 338 Federal. It is a pretty decent rifle and for $600 out the door (YMMV) it was a great deal. They have a surprisingly crisp trigger and my wife has been very happy with the purchase. I have a hard time warming to the synthetic/plastic trigger guard and magazine, but it is a very good value and it is a good looking if not great looking gun. She wanted a blued/wood stock rifle and the price was right. Loading for the gun has been easy and accurate ammunition has been no problem to assemble for the T3. She is perfectly happy, but I would prefer at least alloy bottom metal. I do not care for the look of the integral scope mounting rail, but it comes with alloy rings that have proven serviceable if not attractive. It also drilled and tapped for scope base/rings, which we may add in the future. Her barrel is 22 inches, but I think the 243 is a handier 20 inches.

For myself I would look very closely at the Model 7 CDL. Nice stock and the satin finish is very attractive and durable. The trigger is adjustable and the fit and finish is on par with any rifle in its price range. The Remington action lends itself to changes if you desire to customize it in the future, i.e. triggers, stocks, every conceivable base and ring combination, etc. It will almost certainly be acceptably accurate, maybe exceptionally so and all this for around $750. It is lighter and handier than the Ruger M77, much more pleasing to my eye than a Savage and a better value than a Kimber. I prefer the shorter 20 inch barrel of the Model 7 over the 22 inch 700, but that's about the total difference in the two rifles.

Here are a few links to what I'd buy if I wanted a nice .243:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140340785

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140576359
    (Wood is a little plain on this one though)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=140128977

A nice alternative:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=139995946

Don't rule out the Winchester Model 88 or Browning BLR either. Both are easy on the eyes (especially the 88), handy to carry, and you won't see them slung over the shoulder of every other hunter you cross paths with.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If I understand your criteria, I recommend the Weatherby Vanguard Sporter.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...nguard/sporter

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default BLR

I used to have a Browning BLR in 308Win and loved it for Louisiana deer hunting. It was a steel receiver model and never wore a scope as the woods were thick, but I've seen many that were scoped. It handled well and would hit where I looked for three or four shots and then as the barrel heated it would string vertically.
    I think that if you are going to be shooting a lot at a time 5+ shots(prarie dogs, rock chucks etc.) then you need to consider a heavier varmit barrel, fluting or similar.
    If you are just busting a lone yote or fox then barrel weight should not be an issue.

The Savage Euro Classic is a good looking gun and even has sight.In a lever gun the BLRs that I've had were all good shooters as well as the Savage 99's. I like singles now so a #1 would make me happy

Armymark, have you ever shot a nice Browning BLR in 243 or similar? That one might be something I would consider...

Thanks guys for the responses,
    schmidty
    I donít own a BLR and haven't shot one enough to really say. I have mixed feelings about necked cartridges and lever actions. I suppose I should get one and try it, they make one in .300 WSM and that intrigues me. Those are offered in .243 as well. I have not looked at any used but a new one is at the budget limit you mentioned and you have stated you prefer a bolt gun anyhow. e45colt made a good point about varmint shooting and barrel choice though. You also might want to consider the length and weight. I like a varmint rifle to be fairly long and heavy. A rifle that is long and heavy, that you will have to lug while dragging a deer for any distance might be another consideration. I must say though, that Weatherby Vanguard Sporter that Smitty of the North talks about is pretty sexy. The price is right with some left over for a decent scope too.

I would start and end my search with a new FN Model 70 Featherweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I would start and end my search with a new FN Model 70 Featherweight.
    Good choice unless your a lefty like me. CZ makes some very good rifles as well, but has a two position safety instead of the 3 position found on the M70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast