Thread: Denali Highway in October

Question Denali Highway in October

First let me say thanks to EVERYBODY for letting me enjoy hunting season through your posts. I have spent most of this years hunting seasons in Iraq, reading your posts and viewing your pics has helped me deal with the pain and misery of missing out so far this year. I will be returning the beginning of October and was planning on taking a trip across the Denali Highway for some late season bear hunting. However, I have never been across the Denali past the first week of September and am not sure that idea is even feasible. If anybody could shed some light on the snow/road conditions across the highway around mid-October it would be greatly appreciated! Also is that too late for bears in that area? Are they still wandering around for a last minute snack or are they sound asleep? Thanks in Advance!!

It's a bit of a crap shoot then. You could be fine with snow, but it could dump on you overnight and you could get your vehicle stuck until May. That's happened on occasion to folks, so if you're going to try, keep a very close eye on the forecast. You might still find bears out, but that's going to be closely tied to the snow conditions.

If it doesn't look good as far as weather is concerned, you could try hunting down towards Thompson Pass or maybe just south of Cantwell...anywhere along the highway system that provides good spotting visibility but where road maintenance isn't a concern.

I have a good chunk of family living in Cantwell, some of which road hunt the Denali until its impossible to pass by vehicle. PM me when you get back and I will find out the road and bear conditions for you. Come back safe, and keep your head up, ur, down!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Do you have 4 wheel drive??

I've got 30 yrs experience working on the Denali, retired now.

And still live on the Denali.

The drive is all weather related.

Send me a pm, I'll give you a connection to me.

Its been a warm fall and I anticipate mid-Oct drive is highly probable,
    I'm no weatherman though.

Sounds good, thanks for the info! I will shoot you both a PM as soon as I get back and settled in. Thanks Again!!