Thread: 200 Opti question - Exhaust/heat related

Default 200 Opti question - Exhaust/heat related

Hello,

I've got a 2006 200 Opti in my SportJon and while running the river a couple weeks ago sucked up some mud and weeds while leaving a friends home on the river. Sandtrap did it's job and I noticed that the engine was getting a little warm on the way home. I limped her home and inspected the next morning.

What I found aside from a choking sandtrap was that it appears that the expansion chamber became very hot melting wire looms and anything plastic surrounding it. I flushed the motor with a hose attached to the flush fitting for quite a while. I'm in the process now of replacing with new any wiring loom/wires/hoses that were affected.

My question is this and I'd like to refer you to the attached image...

1.) There is still water in the 2 exhaust chambers, should this not drain? I've always been told that these motors are self draining and considering I'll be winterizing her sitting out in subzeero temps this concerns me. Is it standing water from the flush and not starting the motor afterwards to blow that water out of there?

2.) Refer to the 2 rectangular exhaust ports again and you will see that on the left port a portion of the metal housing is missing. It's a small portion and I've been told that it won't hurt anything that it's gone and that it most likely blew out the exhaust at some point...thoughts on this?

I appreciate your time looking at this, it's a depressing time getting her ready to be put away for the winter...

Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

there are several choke points with the cooling system

1) the water enters through holes in your sleeve.....they could have been partially plugged with debris....unlikely but possible....

2) water travels through thermostat/motor then to the particulate filter....thermostat and particulate filter can restrict flow if junk is in there, again, unlikely but possible

3) water goes to your heater, that can restrict flow if junk is in there...

4) water leaves heater and out of system....any hoses carrying water can restrict flow if plugged/pinched...

as far as the motor being self draining....that's what they claim but not a complete reality....for example, hoses/filter/thremostat/heater all hold water unless drained....there may be more places....

I have learned most of this the hard way....lol....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks tjm,

I'm gonna pull the pump apart and check that little hole in the sleeve. I usually pull it apart and service it in the spring, so I may as well do it now...

I checked the thermostat, there was a few little weed pieces, but other than that pretty clean. Particulate filter? Can you elaborate on that guy?

Heater core is clear...actually on the way home that night, I notices the hoses going to the heater were cold, that's what initially made me suspicious, so I don't think any of the gunk got that far...I've pulled the heater core and flushed it pretty well and nothing odd came out the other end.

I'm told that water can sit in that exhaust cavity and cause problems if left there through the winter. I guess the only way to blow that water out of there is to start the motor with no water going to it??? I've always done it with JetSki's and Sea-Doo's, and the reason was to blow water out of the exhaust manifolds and was actually recommended by the manufacturer...same thing with the Sportjet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    I guess the only way to blow that water out of there is to start the motor with no water going to it???
    Starting it with no water will not do a thing. The Sportjet gets it cooling water from the jet impeller via a small hole in the sleeve. The impeller will not pump air through the system to blow it out.

The motor is self draining as far as freeze damage goes but there may still be some water in the system that will block flow if you try and start it up when it is still frozen. All you really need to do as far as freeze protection for storage is make sure the thermostat housing is vertical so it will drain and pull the hoses off the heater core so it will drain.