Thread: Cheapest Place to get an Anchor in Anchorage

Default Cheapest Place to get an Anchor in Anchorage

So I recently lost my anchor and need to get a replacement including chain and rope. The anchor was a 22lb claw that I use for a 22ft Hewes Ocean Pro. Should I go a little larger and where's the cheapest place to get another one. Doesn't have to be Anchorage but somewhere local would be great.

Also, I will need to get chain as well. I was thinking 30ft. Should I get more and where's the cheapest place. I noticed good heavy chain at Lowes but don't know if this will work for the ocean. Also, what about rope. I would probably get another 200ft given I have about 300-350 left from when I had to cut it off.

Thanks for the help.

Default Arctic Wire rope

Arctic wire & rope would be a good starting place, however I feel compelled to mention your hang up on "cheep" may bite you some day! The 22lb anchor is plenty maybe a fraction of overkill on a 22 ft boat.and 30 ft of chain is a good thing, I personally would not want a set up any bigger on that boat.
    You will get plenty of advice on the line too so I wont go there but please adjust the thinking a tad and actully follow whatever sound advice you recieve here, plenty of experienced salty folks on board! If you ever need this stuff for something other than fishing you'll be glad you "invested"!
    Mike

Fair point. I just don't want to go down to some store and buy a suitable anchor setup for way more than I need to pay. If there is something wrong with what I am going to buy or if you advise avoiding, say chain bought from Lowes, than that's what I'm asking about.

I've never been one to buy crap. I just don't want to end up spending more money than I need to.

Was there something in particular you had in mind?

Check and compare prices
    b & j 's
    donaldsons gear shed

think it was boatus web site that had alot of good anchor, chain and line info and advice might have been west marines site.
    What i have heard is chain as long as your boat and extra is better in my book. Also heavier chain that recommened can be helpful in nasty weather just more of a pain to pull.

I'm sold on bruce or bruce style anchors.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

B-J's on C st. is your place to go. They have a very good selection and prices are a little higher than Sportsmen's but the people are very nice in there and they have the selection.

How do you pull it? Thats a lot to pull by hand.

Thanks for all the info. I buy whatever I can from B&Js. Those guys know there stuff and I like to support good help and knowledge as much as I can. Problem is right now, any money I can save would be great. If B&Js is close I'll go there though.

I had a Bruce or Claw style anchor and would like to get another one. It had a 22lb and I heard one poind per foot. I also heard the same about chain but thought I would get a little extra.

As far as pulling, I certainly don't pull by hand. Way too much work I use a buoy to pull it so that's not a worry.

Default Chain

I have a 22' SeaSport, and use about 35 feet of 5/16" galvanized chain. You can find cheaper chain, but the galvanized will last forever and is clean on your boat and hands. What you stated you had for an anchor sounds plenty sufficient. I do use a Bruce anchor and with that amount of chain, you stay put when you take the time to do a good job of pulling her into the bottom and putting out a good amount of scope.

Default cheap anchors

Getting back to your anchor quirie; it looks like you've recieved some good advice along the way and I'm sure you can do as good at B&J as you would at Arctic wire / rope.
    The reason I even offer an opinion is this. I take all aspects of ocean boating seriously and feel a certian obligation to my family and friends who find them selves on board our boat. The following is again offered under the "food for thought" catagory and in no way as the "gospel", your a big boy, consider the content and make your own choices.
    The hopeing for the best, preparing for the worst addage is very applicable when it comes to all your safety items. Good things seem to "happen" more slowly than bad things, think about that. How offen have you read a story where the teller starts with "and before you know it" or "and all of a sudden".
    In a time of crisis I want nothing left to chance, I want anything I can have on my side that will help me prevail! Am I over cautious. probably but I sleep fine both on and off the water knowing I've spent every effort I can to insure the safety of all on board.

A little side note for you, we bought our current boat (25ft C-dory) 5 years ago. I set it up with a 16lb bruce, 30 ft of 1/4 stainless chain and 600 ft of double braid nylon, which has worked out real well. At the time this set up approached $800, but deemed necessary. Not until this year did I buy the Avets! Point being, I chose to aquire all the "necessary or high profile" stuff first and have no regrets for doing so.

I'm sure if you follow the advice of anyone at the afore mentioned vendors you will do just fine.
    Thanks for enduring the rank, Mike