Thread: Stolen halibut gear

Default Stolen halibut gear

Last week I had 6 halibut rods/ reels stolen from my yard above hillside and abbott. they were out drying against the shed. but you have to go down a long driveway to get there.

I'm posting or two reasons. If anyone hears of the items I'll offer a reward, no questions asked. I heard there's been a car driving around a lot of the hillside neighborhoods stealing easy items and going into some garages and checking for open doors. Red and noisy, two men, one smoker.

Blue rod/ blue avet reel - name enscribed
    Purple rod (short) purple avet reel- name enscribed
    3 black / with red bands rods with reels
    1 longer tan ugly stick with a red bait caster.

a neighbor had his moose rack taken. There's been a few police reports filed.

I'm sorry to hear that. You lost some nice gear. Also a good lesson to those like me who live down a long driveway and dry nice gear outside (assuming nobody would be stupid enought to try to steal it).

Couple of more details please and I will pass it around Seward to make sure those Purple Avets do not make it onto a charterboat down here.

1) what name inscribed on them?

2) what size AVETS?

I will pass it around down here.

keep an eye out on craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by akseagirl View Post
    Last week I had 6 halibut rods/ reels stolen
    Say no more - shame this thief. Sorry to hear that your gear has been stolen.

I can't personally imagine me stealing...but if I did I would think fishing gear would be off limits.

People should know better.

Again, sorry to hear about this.

Default Finding Stolen Stuff on E-Bay

Here's another thing to check besides Craigslist I got recently, I haven't tried it myself (lucky me!) so good luck:

Robberies like that can sometimes be solved very easily, especially when the list includes things that are inexpensive to ship (reels, lures, etc). Just become an eBay member and do the following:

1) go to eBay search bar and enter a description of an item stolen from you (but don't hit the enter button yet)
    2) right below the search bar will be your zip code... click it and on the next page you can temporarily (and easily) change it to your zip code
    3) on the list of search options, choose "distance nearest first" and hit "enter" (that way the thieves will be at or near the top of the list of hits)

If by chance they quickly put your stuff on eBay and listed it at super cheap "Buy It Now" prices then everything could be sold by now. But you could still nail them by doing a completed listings search... Just do steps 1-3 above and move scroll bar about half way down and click "completed listings" box on far left side of page.

No matter how common the things they stole might be, they will be super easy to find if they put anything of yours on eBay and live locally. That's because even if there are 500 people selling the same reel they stole from you, no more than 3 or 4 of the 500 would be from Alaska. You'd find them even if it turns out they live in Anchorage.

Have to be a member and signed in for this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    Here's another thing to check besides Craigslist I got recently, I haven't tried it myself (lucky me!) so good luck:

Robberies like that can sometimes be solved very easily, especially when the list includes things that are inexpensive to ship (reels, lures, etc). Just become an eBay member and do the following:

1) go to eBay search bar and enter a description of an item stolen from you (but don't hit the enter button yet)
    2) right below the search bar will be your zip code... click it and on the next page you can temporarily (and easily) change it to your zip code
    3) on the list of search options, choose "distance nearest first" and hit "enter" (that way the thieves will be at or near the top of the list of hits)

If by chance they quickly put your stuff on eBay and listed it at super cheap "Buy It Now" prices then everything could be sold by now. But you could still nail them by doing a completed listings search... Just do steps 1-3 above and move scroll bar about half way down and click "completed listings" box on far left side of page.

No matter how common the things they stole might be, they will be super easy to find if they put anything of yours on eBay and live locally. That's because even if there are 500 people selling the same reel they stole from you, no more than 3 or 4 of the 500 would be from Alaska. You'd find them even if it turns out they live in Anchorage.

Have to be a member and signed in for this to work.

Very nice way of finding it.... i like it

That pisses me off.