Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine Hunting

Default Wolverine Hunting

I am new to Alaska and Alaska predator hunting. I would appreciate some information on how to get started. A wolverine is at the top of my list. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    I should mention I live in Fairbanks and would prefer to hunt or shoot, not trap predators.

It's not too difficult to take predators in AK, i.e., coyotes, wolves, foxes, etc., but wolverines are are too scarce to plan on hunting (shooting) with regular success. The population densities are so low that even a hunter who gets out in the field for good chunks of time every year may only see a handful of wolverines in a lifetime. I've been here over 40 years and have only seen a few. There are just not not enough of them and I haven't heard of them coming into a caller. Good luck.

In all my time running around the woods of Alaska, I have only seen 2 wolverines. I have come across tracks from time to time. One I was lucky enough to be able to shoot, but I would say that it was just that, LUCK. I ran a trapline with my dad when i was a kid, and had a few sets destroyed by one, but we never caught up to him. You are going to be spending a lot of time in the woods for that conquest, which actually doesn't sound too bad.........
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Thumbs up

Try to find you a winter kill moose and sit on it. The odds are still slim but it could be worth the wait, a targeted wolverine would be a great of a trophy.
    Chuck

Thanks for the responses. Over the next three to four years I hope to get enough time in the woods to bag my prize.

Twice on sheep hunts I have talked with other hunters who were passing by my camp earlier in the day and said that they had seen a wolverine very close to our camp. This year in the Brooks Range, I think I saw the ass end of a wolverine as he turned an ran over a small escarpment. I have found wolverine skulls, tracks, and skeletons, but in over 20 years of hunting in Alaska that was my closest sighting to a live wolverine.

Default SE mainland

has quite a good Wolverine population ... we see them on out Mt Goat hunts quite often ... my hunter just took this digi-photo on our last Goat hunt ...

Default 4 in my life

Saw my fourth wolverine this august while sheep hunting. He was chasing a young ram, about the darndest thing I've ever seen. The cool thing is, its prolly the same one that walked up on me 4 years ago while I was sleeping in my bivvy....Shot at him from 7 yards, but being pitch black, I missed. Oh well, I know where his den is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    He was chasing a young ram, about the darndest thing I've ever seen.
    I've heard they do that from time to time. Would be something to see!

Default Was quite entertaining

I watched this wolverine for a good 20 minutes. The ram would run a little ways, stop look back. Wolverine would get a little closer, ram runs, stops, looks back. This went on for a while, then the ram decided to join his buddy in some more rocky terrain. The wolverine thought nothing of following that direction, and just ran dead straight up the mountain, till he went up and over the top, out of sight.

Funny story, after the wolverine goes out of site, I watch for a while looking for him, and while glassing to the left, I see two hunters standing over a ram that I had watched from 200 yards the night before, determining him not to be legal, albeit close. Talked to a trooper the next day, and as I determined, the ram was not legal.

Anyway, went off on a little tangent there, but love seeing wolverines, and feel blessed to have seen four, closest being 7 yards....

Default You might

watch Napolean Dynamite (the movie) as he said he spent the summer in Alaska hunting wolverine!! Sorry had to put some humor in here!

I've hunted all my life in AK and have only seen a handful of wolverine. I actually shot one out on the trapline one winter. Caught him out in a middle of a lake. The ONLY place on the line where he couldn't get away!

Default typical day

I can't speak for the rest of the people here, but I have great luck hunting them. Just have to know the terrain of where to find them. I don't go out much as I'm lazy...but this is a typical day. Usually every year I pick up a dozen or so...

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default Amazing Day

Alaskan22,
    That's one amazing day harvesting what (3 of them it looks like). I've heard they'll come into a call, just getting into hearing shot of one sounds tricky in most parts of the state.

Default It's possible

I have lived and hunted in alaska 40 years and finally shot one myself a week and half ago. A friend of mine hunting with me last November got one also. But they were both incidental while hunting other game. You don't get much opportunity. I had a day like alaskans many years ago. You have a better chance for quality trapping.

I've seen 2 in all my years of hunting. Didn't get a shot at either of them. Some parts of the state undoubtedly have higher population densities than others.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default TrapperBob

that is sweet! Very nice triple! Beautiful creatures for sure! I've only shot one in all the years and had a double trapping one weekend.

Yeah pretty darn rare. In my 25 years in AK I can recall seeing 3 for sure. I was to take one a few years ago. But no I didn't use a "freaking 12 gauge"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Yeah pretty darn rare. In my 25 years in AK I can recall seeing 3 for sure. I was to take one a few years ago. But no I didn't use a "freaking 12 gauge"
    klassik! and I am out of rep to spread around...

Default Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So you obviously didn't spend a whole summer in AK doing it either!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    So you obviously didn't spend a whole summer in AK doing it either!
    Yeah, but I still managed get "like 30 of them, they were attacking my cousins, what would you do in a situation like that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast