Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disaster and Sadness

Default Disaster and Sadness

Booked and been planning on a guided 10-day Brown Bear hunt north of Dillingham since April (for Sept. 19-29). My dad is 68, and I wanted to take him on an adenture like that before he gets too old. I leave tomorrow morning on a 7:30 am flight to Anchorage to meet up with my dad (flying from Missouri) before flying out to Dillingham on Saturday morning. Stayed up till 3:30 am last night going over my gear and making sure I have everything and just plain excited.

Guide call a couple of hours ago reporting catastrophic failure of gear, some kind of injury to a client (first half of season) and terrible weather. He sounded genuinely horrible and apologetic as he cancelled our hunt.

I'm horribly dissapointed, but understand that bad things happen, and will have to do this again some day in the future. I mostly feel terrible for my dad who has labored to get ready. We both built this up big to our friends and family.

I would not even ask, but my wife is telling me that I'm just "giving up"--not accepting my explanation that you can't just shift to Plan B without a guide.

I assume there no chance of getting on the plane and finding a way to do some kind of hunting up there at this late date, right?

Only have a few hours to decide (though I assume it's pointless).

Sincerely bummed.

Is black bear out of the question?

Look through the phone book and start calling the fly out services like Kechtum Trail ridge air and so forth they could problem get you out some place hope everything works out for chris

Caribou are scarce in the area in recent years and more importantly for you...non resident hunting is closed. Moose closed on Tuesday....can't say there are too many black bears without knowing where you are going. Of course wolves but that's a long shot. Lots of ducks and I'm sure the fishing is fantastic at the moment.

Sorry to hear of the snafu, but guess I feel worse for the injury to the client. It's a rough place at times and as my buddy always says when it comes to doing stuff in the bush. "plan for the worst, hope for the best"

It's still possible to come up and do a self guided moose or caribou hunt through a reputable air transporter. I'd call some of them and see if they have any openings available where they can get you in for a moose or caribou. Catastrophic failure of gear?? What does that mean?? I can certainly see where a client could get injured and require emergency evac but the other ecuse sounds kind of lame to me. From what i've experienced so far weather has been better than good but I don't know how it's been out towards Dillingham. I say don't give up yet and see what you can find for a last minute hunt. Good luck to you and your dad.

First off sorry to hear about that. That really sucks.

Are you and your dad in reasonable shape? There are opportunities for say black bear and even moose although alot of moose seasons close soon. I say come up and try to salvage at least a vacation out of the deal....

Good luck, hopefully someone will have some more solid advice to help out...

It's darn sure you won't get any hunting if you don't get on the plane.
    So fly up, get on the phone, shake the trees. Somebody might have a
    client that bailed at the last minute and is lamenting that the income for the
    year is lost.

If you can't shoot a griz, you can still hunt for blacks, moose, wolf,caribou.
    You can catch some nice fish, enjoy a campfire with your dad and get the lay
    of the land for next year.

If nothing else, the foilage is spectacular. Quit whining and do it!

My problem is that, if i even had a few days or a week, I could figure something out. I don't know where to go, who to trust, etc ... And then there is the not-insubstantial taks of trying to get my dad (who plans everything in advance months ahead of time (has been doing this for years)) to just fly out on a whim hoping to find something--all in about 5 or 6 hours from now.

I would love to hunt black bears up there, but I just don't know where to go or how to get there or even how to get a tag. Sadly, I'm burried at work right now, and will be for a couple more hours (nothing I can do about it), which makes salvaging the trip seem pretty remote right now.

Also, I already have three bags of gear (some is for my dad) and a rifle case for the trip. If I didn't have a guide, I would have to bring my tent, cooking gear, etc... that the guide was going to provide. It would start to get kind of nuts trying to bring all of that on one Delta Airlines flight. I would also have to find a working satelite phone (got wife and kids) ...

Rent a car, Pick up a copy of the regs to read while your dad drives, head south from anchorage, glass all the hillsides as you drive thru turnagain pass looking for blackies, stop whereever you can to glass, enjoy each others company, go to seward or homer, charter a boat and go fishing, eat at a good restaurant, drink a beer, etc, etc.

You've probably lost out on the airfare, might as well take the flight and make some lemonade...

Have your dad get on the horn and contact some air services and do a caribou hunt, it's not going to happen if you don't try. Contact Bob at Wright Air, http://www.wrightair.net/ or fly out of Soldotna with High Adventure air, http://www.highadventureair.com/hunting.htm . There's many others but a quick search with Google will get you started in the right direction.

Default FUN

Sounds dissapointing. BUT, the best part is dad is still available ! Spend some quality time with dad ! Regardlees of if it's in a 2 man tent in Dillingham or in a cabin on a lake somewhere. There aren't any bears in your livingroom however, so take dad to see some AK. Not every hunt is successful, that doesn't mean the hunters didn't have a good hunt.
    Call "your" guide for a refferal to another guide near Dillingham, or call the local F&G office, the local cafe in Dillingham.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

so dare anyone ask who the Guide is? I am kind of surprised he doesnt have a backup plan to get you out in the field. There has to be other guides out there that have sharing type agreements with this one, who knows.

There also has got to be more than one guide in the the Unit 17 area that would be willing to pick up where this guy dumped off...gotta be a few people in here that know a couple guides in that area too.

Catastophic Equip failure with an Injury (airplane ??)

MARINE HAWK--Sent you a PM.

Get on the horn right now and call Jake (BRWNBR) at http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akp...ting/index.htm

You never know, he might be able to help you out.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Get on the horn right now and call Jake (BRWNBR) at http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akp...ting/index.htm

You never know, he might be able to help you out.
    Absolutely agreed. Call Jake. If he can't help you, he may know of a reputable guide that can. Clients cancel at the last minute too, so maybe a guide in a similar situation would jump at the chance to take you and your father out.

If that doesn't work, fly up, drive to Whittier, hire one of the water taxis to take you out and drop you off in Prince William Sound. Hunt for black bears and maybe buy one Sitka Blacktailed Deer tag each. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Absolutely agreed. Call Jake. If he can't help you, he may know of a reputable guide that can. Clients cancel at the last minute too, so maybe a guide in a similar situation would jump at the chance to take you and your father out.

If that doesn't work, fly up, drive to Whittier, hire one of the water taxis to take you out and drop you off in Prince William Sound. Hunt for black bears and maybe buy one Sitka Blacktailed Deer tag each. Enjoy!
    Sounds like a great plan that Brian has laid out.

Certainly very sorry about your hunt having to be canceled.
    My suggestion would be to start planning a hunt for next year, either with the guide booked with this year or whatever works out.
    Last minute bookings regardless of how good the outfitter and/or the client can be fraught with lots of problems based on honest misunderstandings.
    Take your time - a year (or maybe until next spring) may seem like a long time, but not nearly as long as a life time of remembering a hunt that didn't go so well. It is a whole different situation to book a last minute hunt with an outfitter you know well and preferably have hunted with in the past.
    Best of luck
    Joe (Ak)
    (PM if I can be of help)

Default Lots of Options!

If you were willing, one of the local hunt planners could certainly whip up a hunt for you.

Unit 8 deer is open for NR, Any sex, Oct1-Dec31 For what a Guided 10day Bear Hunt would cost...you could shack up a a cushy lodge on Kodiak and hunt deer, and probly save 1/2 your initial costs.

Marc Taylor - I believe is out on the haul road? 907-336-1330

Larry Bartlett w/ Pristine Adventures

Michael Strahan with Lost Creek
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=57317
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thumbs up get to it son!!!

man if u came by my little town i could outfit a 2 man camp in a heart beat (outfiter/ outschumitter u don't need no stinkin.......) with all they need in waterproof bags...for some beer of course
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Call Me

Give me a call I am working on finding you a hunt as I type. 907-727-4893

At least get youself to Anchorage, Its a lot eaisier to get to one of our hunting areas once your on the ground here.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast