Thread: First Kenai Float

Default First Kenai Float

So, I am hoping to float the uppper from the ferry to Jims on saturday, any suggestions for a first time floater? Advice, warnings, tips, things to look-out for (besides bears)? Anything would be appreciated. I will be in my new outcast 1200.

Thanks

Default Upper

Find the cut banks, sand bars, and log jams. Find your structure and find the fish. Just make sure to not get carried away and miss Jim's.

I float it in a Sportsmans Warehouse one man cataraft and it's very easy. I stick to the main channel, so I don't know what the sloughs are like. The fishing is just fine where I float. I stop at gravel bars and fish and I boondoggle while I drift. If I hook up while drifting I put the rod in the rod holder and pull over to the side to land it. I don't mess around with trying do land a fish on the drift. That's a good way to get yourself into trouble (run into a log jam, lose an oar, etc.). I always bring a pump, patch kit and a PFD. I also tether my oars so I don't lose one. It's a short float so take your time. You could finish it in 2 hours if you went straight through. Remeber, if something goes wrong with your raft and you have to beach it, go to the highway side of the river.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I will keep it all in mind. I'm not to worried about the float itself since I have seen people do it in canoes, just objects and stuff to watch out for, thanks again.

Default Obstacles

The float itself is actually really easy if you stay on the main channels on the right/north side. You can easily get into some of the off-shoots on the left/south side but stay on the larger ones. No major rapids or massive rocks or anything, just keep your eyes open and watch the water its pretty easy to read on that section of river. And like 9601 said, dont be brave and try to land a fish while floating. I pulled a few off going really slow in the dead pools, luckily my line got wrapped around my buddies boats instead of somebody elses.

Default Rod holders

Where in anch can you get some good fly-rod rod holders? I haven't looked yet at all so I can pretty much assume the regular, sportsmans, mt view, etc. Looking for suggestions though.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Where in anch can you get some good fly-rod rod holders? I haven't looked yet at all so I can pretty much assume the regular, sportsmans, mt view, etc. Looking for suggestions though.
    I would also try Alaska Raft and Kayak on Tudor.