Thread: Insight on Sights

Default Insight on Sights

It's been several years since I owned a bow, Ive wanted one for quite some time and that is coming very soon. I've been all over the place, looking reading etc.

In regards to sights....What is the advantage to having vertical vs horizontal pins other than personal preference.

What to look for in a good sight system?

What to stay away from?

5, 6 or 7 pin?

Micro adjustments necessary?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Personally, I prefer the one pin, adjustable frame (swing bar)type sights. When hunting I leave it on 35 yrds, which for my bow allows me to shoot 0-40 yds without having to compensate too much. If I need to shoot beyond 40 yds, I can adjust it in about 2 seconds.

I always hated trying to keep the pins straight in my head which color was which yardage. Never shot off the wrong pin, but was paranoid that I would...

Number of pins I would think are in direct relation to how flat your bow is shooting. On my old Mathew's Ultralight I had five pins that pretty much filled my sight (top to bottom spread). On my current Switchback my first pin is for 15-25 yards, 2nd for 26-35, 3rd for 36-48, 4th for 50+. Pins one and two touch...pin 4 is about 1/2 inch lower than pin one. Lots of room for many more pins. The point is, what is your bow capable of versus what are you comfortable with. Until I got my Switchback I would never dream of shooting ofver 40 yards...now I think 60 yards is as easy as 20 The bow makes the difference.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

+1 roger,

I went to a Switchback last year after many years of the old Browning Ballistic Mirage. It is truly amazing what that Mathews (and most new technology bows) are capable of. Especially with the carbon arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    +1 roger,

I went to a Switchback last year after many years of the old Browning Ballistic Mirage. It is truly amazing what that Mathews (and most new technology bows) are capable of. Especially with the carbon arrows.
    Yesterday, I stuck 12 arrows in a rough 8" @ 20yds on a Mathews Monster. I was pleased all things considered.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

seven deadly pins!!!! spott hogg, the cable going down the middle of the sight really helps you pull your bow level and also you can mark on the cable for 80-90 yards *(not that id recomend shooting this)* but its still cool to be able to.
    -907champ

Ive shot a few more, and honestly...I just don't think I like a plethora of pins. 4-5 would be my max. I do like the centerline that some sights offer, gives that crosshair, sort of feel.

Default yeah

yeah, i agree but if you move your sights tewards you or away from you then you can get the pins closer togather or a bigger gap between them. so mine are pretty spaced apart.

we double lunged one of our 4 caribou at 70 yards this year (was trapped on a river bank and he was standing perfectly broadside)

no wind and a beautiful day so thats one not dead nice bull if we didnt have the extra pins.

although under most circumstances i wouldnt shoot a 70 yard shot!

-907champ.

I just got a Montana Black Gold Flash Point Red Zone 7 pin to put on my bow. I swapped it out with a Copper John Dead Nuts and it makes a big difference with the brightness of the pins. It is spaced away from the bow a little more, which separates the pins a little more. I went with the 7 pin, but I can get 6 comfortably in the sight window so one is just pushed to the bottom.

I'm also shooting the switchback and after bolting on this site, I was practicing to 60 yards and getting 4" groups with the occasional wanderer that would be off a couple inches. Darn rotator cuffs.

I really like the 5 pin bow sights. The Spot Hogg Hunter Hogg-it on my switchback xt, and a montana black gold flashpoint on my monster. Small pins are a must for accuracy. Also need light gathering for that golden hour. I really like how the flashpoint adjusts for the lighting so you don't have super glow sight pins. I also like the durability of metal pins. Just a couple of the things to consider in a sight. Also don't discount third axis-it matters.

Default Spot Hogg

I have used the trophy ridge vertical 5 pin sight for the last few years and I was really pleased with it. I just bought the spot hogg sdp for my new bow and the more I shoot it the happier I am with it. I am still partial to the vertical pins tho.

Thumbs up

Toxonics

Lightweight and Bright

5-pin Micro-adjust, then added two pins below.

Extremely happy with it.

Taylor

-[]------->

Thumbs up Trueglo

Trueglo 7pin with the .019 pins. no tool ajustment. best sight I have ever used for hunting under $100.00.

my .02 cents