Thread: Where to go

Default Where to go

Want to do some moose and brown or black bear hunting this weekend. I'm looking at byer's lake, granite creek, and hope. I've read and talked alot and was wondering if anyone could help. I'm a pretty good hunter and will probably be just happy to to camp out in my rv before the snow flies. I'm leaning toward going to byers. I also looked into king river. Oh yea, I'll be going from fri evening to next wednesday so I'm ony getting to hunt moose for two day so I probably should make bear my priority. Brown would be good too. The granite creek I'm talkin about is the one in turnagain pass. What do reckon?

Don't believe brown bears can be hunted at Granite Creek since it's on the KP and that is all draw for browns. I'd check out Byers, that place is loaded with both black and brown bears, especially near the creek and lake. If you want to try for a black bear Hope or Cooper Lake would be another good option.

If you do go to Byers, make sure you get a locking tag for brownies since it's in the state park. It's not required for that unit except in DSP if I remember right..

Good luck.

Wink

For moose, concentrate on the ridges above treeline. For bears concentrate your effort along the creeks. Byers Creek all the way down is a good bet for Brown Bears. Not around the lake. There is also Upper and Lower Troublesome Creeks. Plenty of bears on both. If you have an atv, you should try Larson Creek out of Talkeetna. A couple of really big bears working that stretch right now.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yea I got the brown bear tag and and thanks for reminding me about not being able to get brownies on the Kenai with just generl tag.

Also remember that there is a half mile restriction on discharging firearms on the trail around Byers Lake, as well as a 1/4 mile restriction along the road.

There is also good bear hunting up Ermine Hill and Little Coal Creek trails.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Moose

Are there any good spots for moose up at Byers Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    Are there any good spots for moose up at Byers Lake?
    People are pretty tight lipped about moose spots. They are getting harder and harder to come by.

Been by Byers lake a few times, and it really doesn't seem like a moosey area to me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Thanks

Yea I don't blame people for being typed lipped cause i'm the same way. I don't think byers looks too moosey either.

Wink

Around the lake. No. Too many bears. On the ridges to the south and east. Yes. Good for moose.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Really!! I was taken into an area that was very moosey looking. Of course, you are wanting an area that has legal moose not just moose. I had no doubt there are legal moose in there, if you work at it.

I canít tell you ware, because I was told not to disclose the location.
    If you do your homework, you might find out where it is.

I had to laugh your looking for information and yet you say your tight lip. 

Another thing, I was in an area last week that has moose, I donít like to hunt it, because I know of a better area. Last year a couple of guys hunting the area saw several bulls, and killed a nice one. Timing, location, experience, and just plane luck will put meat in your freezer from an area that does not look moosey.

Default Hope

Well I appreciated all the suggestions but I eneded up going to Hope and hunting over there. I had to come back yesterday. Ended up smelling the bears plenty of times and hearing them but never did see one. Man is the undergrowth thick over there. Couldn't still hunt either as the flies were eating me up any time I was still. Ended up staying at the porcupine campground. It was really nice. I still want to go up to Byers. I came to the conclusion that since there is so much foot traffic over there is that the bears just hunker down when people go by or sneak out. They're there though. I could smell so I must of been doing something right.