Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Where to go

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    80

    Default Where to go

    Want to do some moose and brown or black bear hunting this weekend. I'm looking at byer's lake, granite creek, and hope. I've read and talked alot and was wondering if anyone could help. I'm a pretty good hunter and will probably be just happy to to camp out in my rv before the snow flies. I'm leaning toward going to byers. I also looked into king river. Oh yea, I'll be going from fri evening to next wednesday so I'm ony getting to hunt moose for two day so I probably should make bear my priority. Brown would be good too. The granite creek I'm talkin about is the one in turnagain pass. What do reckon?

  2. #2

    Default

    Don't believe brown bears can be hunted at Granite Creek since it's on the KP and that is all draw for browns. I'd check out Byers, that place is loaded with both black and brown bears, especially near the creek and lake. If you want to try for a black bear Hope or Cooper Lake would be another good option.

  3. #3
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    If you do go to Byers, make sure you get a locking tag for brownies since it's in the state park. It's not required for that unit except in DSP if I remember right..

    Good luck.

  4. #4

    Wink

    For moose, concentrate on the ridges above treeline. For bears concentrate your effort along the creeks. Byers Creek all the way down is a good bet for Brown Bears. Not around the lake. There is also Upper and Lower Troublesome Creeks. Plenty of bears on both. If you have an atv, you should try Larson Creek out of Talkeetna. A couple of really big bears working that stretch right now.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Yea I got the brown bear tag and and thanks for reminding me about not being able to get brownies on the Kenai with just generl tag.

  6. #6
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Also remember that there is a half mile restriction on discharging firearms on the trail around Byers Lake, as well as a 1/4 mile restriction along the road.

    There is also good bear hunting up Ermine Hill and Little Coal Creek trails.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    80

    Default Moose

    Are there any good spots for moose up at Byers Lake?

  8. #8
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by campingfoool View Post
    Are there any good spots for moose up at Byers Lake?
    People are pretty tight lipped about moose spots. They are getting harder and harder to come by.

    Been by Byers lake a few times, and it really doesn't seem like a moosey area to me.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    80

    Default Thanks

    Yea I don't blame people for being typed lipped cause i'm the same way. I don't think byers looks too moosey either.

  10. #10

    Wink

    Around the lake. No. Too many bears. On the ridges to the south and east. Yes. Good for moose.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Really!! I was taken into an area that was very moosey looking. Of course, you are wanting an area that has legal moose not just moose. I had no doubt there are legal moose in there, if you work at it.

    I canít tell you ware, because I was told not to disclose the location.
    If you do your homework, you might find out where it is.

    I had to laugh your looking for information and yet you say your tight lip. 

    Another thing, I was in an area last week that has moose, I donít like to hunt it, because I know of a better area. Last year a couple of guys hunting the area saw several bulls, and killed a nice one. Timing, location, experience, and just plane luck will put meat in your freezer from an area that does not look moosey.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    80

    Default Hope

    Well I appreciated all the suggestions but I eneded up going to Hope and hunting over there. I had to come back yesterday. Ended up smelling the bears plenty of times and hearing them but never did see one. Man is the undergrowth thick over there. Couldn't still hunt either as the flies were eating me up any time I was still. Ended up staying at the porcupine campground. It was really nice. I still want to go up to Byers. I came to the conclusion that since there is so much foot traffic over there is that the bears just hunker down when people go by or sneak out. They're there though. I could smell so I must of been doing something right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •