Thread: Air Handgun

Default Air Handgun

Looking for a decent Co2 charged handgun to plink with but stay accurate durning this winter down time. Something to step out the door and shoot and still have the weight and feel. Anyone with any suggestions.

Thanks a ton in advance,

George

I've never been happy with any of the CO2 models, especially in cold weather. POI changes as gas cartridges wear down, plus many start to leak around the O-ring as they age or get really cold.

Instead I use a single-cock target model I picked up a long time ago. Mine is a 717 from Daisy. I doubt it's still available, but worth checking to see if there's been a replacement. It was less than $100, but as accurate as target models costing 5 to 10 times as much. Best target is simply to shoot a hole in the paper, then shoot at the hole as far back as you can see it. If you miss the hole, it's not the gun's fault.

I've used mine around the place for years plinking voles and head shooting an occasional snowshoe hare. It's only around 400 fps, but with head shots dead is dead. It practically blows up those little voles.

Thanks BrownBear,
    Any idea where I can find info? I live in the bush so would like to have a plan next time in the big village to look/get my hands around something.

Thanks again,

George

I've had a Gamo target pistol for years, and have been happy with it. It isn't terribly powerful, but it has good accuracy, and as a single pump pneumatic it's easy to operate.

Ha! I found it. Over the years they have changed the name to 747 and doubled the price, but here's one online source. Well worth the increased price in my book, considering the years of service I've had with mine. To tell you how accurate it is, I lay soda cans on end and shoot them at 25 yards. Can't do it one handed, but if I miss 2-handed it's my fault.

Not sure if they are available in the city, but online ordering would solve that.

This one costs a little more, but it comes as a kit with all the accessories on the photo. The flashlight is pretty nice, too, but I only use the pistol with the provided red dot sight. The pistol is made by Walters, and sold by Crossman. I paid $179.00 for the kit (comes in a box).

You will notice that it will shoot at 360 fps with a CO cartridge, which is not really lots of power. However, i have shot and killed several grouse at close range. It's extremely accurate, but like others said, a cold cartridge loses lost of pressure. I use mine during the summer months.
    http://www.crosman.com/site/listing/1209