Thread: 7.62x54r 150 grain loads

Default 7.62x54r 150 grain loads

Looking for any info on where to buy 7.62x54r A-MAX or Triple shock hand loaded ammo. This ammo will be used in a PSL (AK47 type rifle) for a deer hunt on Kodiak in about 3.5 weeks need at least 2 boxes for zeroing/practice and then hunt any info on who to contact for these bullet weights and brands for reload would be very much appreciated thank you.

7.62x54r in an AK are you sure you do not mean 7.62x39

Maybe it's a Drugg?

In any case I don't believe any company commercially loads A-max or TSX's in either caliber. 'Tis my guess he hasn't fired this gun yet.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

A Romanian PSL is basically a AKM on steroids that shoots 7.72x54r. I have shot it just need a good hunting round hence the need for a hand loader recommendation for the bullet weight and new components to be loaded for new ammo purchase.

I'm not acquainted with the rifle, but can sure speak on behalf of the round from past acquaintance. It will do anything a 308 will do, and do it just as well. If you can't handload the ammo yourself, then a custom loader or generous friend are the only options. Worth any effort in my book.

Default Sellier and Bellot

Sellier and Bellot make some good factory hunting loads in 7.62x54r. Standard soft point design bullets, should be the cat's meow for deer. Bought some for a mosin nagant m44.

Default S&B

http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?co...%20SP%2020/box

Natchez has some in stock. I believe they also had Norma($$) in stock.

I get your question now.

Winchester also makes a soft point load that should be fine for deer, they really do not need a premium bullet.

Default 150 grain in 7.62x54R

just my 2 cents: I've tried and tried to get several Russian rifles to shoot various 150 grain bullets.........none would. What they shoot well is 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters.

Here is a very big consideration for you......If you buy .308 bullets they may shoot very sloppy. The Russian rifles normally run .311 or .312. SLUG YOUR BARREL. It took me forever to listen to an older more expierenced reloader.

Here is what hundreds of bucks from the older fella discovered, and then I proved again...

.311 Sierra ProHunter 180 grain SPBT, We both found remarkable accuracy using 50 grains of IMR4350 and a COL of 3.00.

Check your rifle first.

If you do not have time to accomplish all of this before your hunt, I suggest that you could buy some local Wolf 180 grn SPs (used to be $14.99) and reloadable, but dirty. If you can get on Elemendorf, I saw Winchester 180 SPBTs for $21 last week. The Winchester looks to possibly be S&B in a Winchester box, the brass reloads well.

Good luck

[QUOTE=akrifle;580105]just my 2 cents: I've tried and tried to get several Russian rifles to shoot various 150 grain bullets.........none would. What they shoot well is 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters.

The PSL gun nuts seem to think the PSL has a problem digesting the 180 and heavy bullets. While they will work, they beat the mechanism up and cause problems.

The gun as a DM rifle, was apparently set up for the light ball 147-150 grain bulelts.

Hornady made some .310 diam 150 grains.

They, and everybody else make some .311 diam. Barnes makes a nice looking .311.

To answer the original question, the reloading guy on the Kenai might be able to put some custom loads together for you. He should be at the gunshow next month. I do not remember the company name.

Hope that helps!

My experience with the round is "second hand," in that I loaded for a friend who used it, rather than owning the rifle itself. In his rifle Speer 150 Sitzers and 180 RN .311 bullets were outstanding, both on paper and on critters. More accurate than the expensive Norma factory rounds, and at least as good on deer, black bear and pigs. Powder was IMR-4064.

I heard his son (who inherited the rifle) killed an elk with it in Oregon last year for a remembrance of his dad, but I don't know the details. Might have been some of my handloads left over, or might have been factory. But the elk was very dead.

Hornady states their A Max bullets are not for hunting... only targets and predators. May want a soft point.

Quote Originally Posted by akrifle View Post
    just my 2 cents: I've tried and tried to get several Russian rifles to shoot various 150 grain bullets.........none would. What they shoot well is 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters.

Here is a very big consideration for you......If you buy .308 bullets they may shoot very sloppy. The Russian rifles normally run .311 or .312. SLUG YOUR BARREL.
    Absolutely. I have a couple of gorgeous m44's, and they both have different bores, and another gorgeous Finn rework that has a Sako barrel on it that is 0.308. While these aren't modern rifles, I think it would be prudent to slug any Communist Bloc rifle just to be sure.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...