Thread: Last Day Success

Default Last Day Success

So with Tuesday being the last day of rifle in 20B, I had made up my mind to spend the entire day in the woods. I got up at 0430 and out the door by 0530 (with coffee in hand). I arrived at my parking area, unloaded my ATV and was down to my camp by 0625. Once at camp, I got my gear, gun and coffee from the ATV and began my slow walk into the area that I was going to set up for the day. About 20 to 30 yards from the camp I heard something that made me look up. It was far away enough that I couldn't make out exactly what it was. I pulled my binocs up to see what it was and low-and-behold, they were fogged up (supposed to be fog proof). I wiped them off and tried again...still fogged up. I decided to bring up my rifle and use the scope. As soon as I brought it up I saw the antlers. I then had to put my coffee cup and pack down because I knew this was going to be it.
    He was quartering towards me looking at me while eating and drinking in the stream that went right by my camp. I didn't like the shot he was giving me and wanted just a little more light. We both sat there looking at each other for a couple minutes and he decided to take a couple steps forward. Of course as luck would have it, his vitals were right behind a bush at this point. It was getting lighter and apparently he didn't like me just standing there looking at him. He turned around and started walking away. I grunted and he stopped. I fired and he just stood there. Then he took another step and stopped again. Not knowing if I missed, I fired again. This time he dropped in his tracks.
    A little over a hundred yard shot and around 150 yards from camp (in a stream area). It took me until about 1445 (2:45) to get him all cut up and ready to get back to the truck. I loaded up my ATV and meat and made my way back to the truck. Out of the woods by about 1520 and on my way back to the house. I think I figured out that finding them and shooting them are the EASY part. He's not the biggest moose, but for my first one, I can't complain. I measured him at 40". I hope you enjoy the report and pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default congrats

Congrats and good eating!!!!

Moose burgers on the barbee....nicely done!

You're from Eielson AFB? Seemed like a nice quick trip, so I'm assuming you hunted close to home. If thats the case, your next step is go sit on that gut pile, and wait for a grizz. If you take a moose in this area, you gotta take a grizz! LOL, congrats on your moose.

Congrats, job well done! Thanks for sharing.

nice bull - way to go!

Default This weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    You're from Eielson AFB? Seemed like a nice quick trip, so I'm assuming you hunted close to home. If thats the case, your next step is go sit on that gut pile, and wait for a grizz. If you take a moose in this area, you gotta take a grizz! LOL, congrats on your moose.

I'm hoping there is a grizz on the pile when I go down to break down my camp this weekend. Yeah I'm from Eielson so due to not having a hunting partner I opted to just give Wainwright a try. I guess it worked out...meat in the freezer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sbenjamin78 View Post
    I'm hoping there is a grizz on the pile when I go down to break down my camp this weekend. Yeah I'm from Eielson so due to not having a hunting partner I opted to just give Wainwright a try. I guess it worked out...meat in the freezer!!!
    It seems to have worked out well. If you watch that pile, some thing will show up on it. I live on Johnson rd, and there are more than enough bears to go around. It's about that time of the year for one to start messing with peoples crap out here! Hope you can toss a dead bear on your pile of accomplishments! Congrats again!