Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why "calf killer"???

Thumbs down Why "calf killer"???

i mean geez, what an ignoble name for a grand beast and a fine trophy.
    why not "berry eater" or "ground squirrel grinder" or maybe even just (heaven forbid ) "handsome grizzly bear".
    this hype that bears are just "calf killers" disrespects the animal and perpetuates an ignorant approach to an admirable big game quarry.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Question

Is there some context to this querry? (i.e. what are you typing about)?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thumbs up

There are many names used for bears. All of them well deserved. Mostly depends on what he was doing the day he was observed and got hisself shot. I have heard Cub Killer, Calf Killer, Moose Killer, Sheep Killer, Caribou Killer, Man Killer, Marauder, etc, the list is as endless as the number of bears killed. Don't really matter what some want to call them, as long as they get them killed. My favorite name is "Good Bear".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

on several threads and in other media i have recently seen brown/grizzly and black bears referred to as "calf killers", as if the best and highest goal is to kill them because they are "calf-killers".
    it just strikes me as derogatory, and up until the last year or so it was not a jingoism i had heard.
    it seems to reflect an overall shift in approach to hunting, where the nobility of the prey has been sublimated to the "good" that is done by the simple act of killing it.
    i am sure many here will not agree with me, or perhaps even see my point, but nonetheless i thought i would post my thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    "ground squirrel grinder"
    LOL That's cracks me up! How about "blueberry butcher" or "mole muncher"

The one that I don't much care for is "swamp donkey" for moose.

"calf killer" isn't as bad a some guys handles around here though! Ones like... "ikillall" or "shoot_itifit_moves" or the like.

Talking good point

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    "calf killer" isn't as bad a some guys handles around here though! Ones like... "ikillall" or "shoot_itifit_moves" or the like.
    no kidding!

hey, i like "blueberry butcher"

i mean geez, what an ignoble name for a grand beast and a fine trophy.
    why not "berry eater" or "ground squirrel grinder" or maybe even just (heaven forbid ) "handsome grizzly bear".
    this hype that bears are just "calf killers" disrespects the animal and perpetuates an ignorant approach to an admirable big game quarry.
    Regardless of whatever reservations I may have about on going predator programs - bears DO KILL SOME CALVES.
    Joe (Ak)

no kidding!

hey, i like "blueberry butcher"

On second thought, that could be my wifes handle, we put up 70lbs of blueberries this year, she kept dragging me back to the berry patch

hey, i know they kill some calves... that's just what bears do.... i just don't think that one attribute defines them.

I would suspect that we are the only species that assign terms like admirable, noble, regal, etc. etc. to our neighboring species.
    I wonder if Treadwells woman felt bears were "admirable" as she listened to Timmy die and waited for her own death.
    If killing calves does not "define" the bear, why does admirable?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What's a calf killer's worst nightmare? ........Bear Buster
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I hunt an area that years ago was full of moose and sheep. A trail my friends and I cut up the mountain was post-holed to thick soup as the moose used it as a freeway going up and down the mountain. Fast-forward 15 years, now there are no moose and the path is beaten smooth by the soft padded feet of bruin. The kicker is the area has limited access and very few moose were taken from there. The sheep are draw only. 15 years ago as my cousin and I watched a couple black bears work the slopes below the various ewe and lamb groups we though WOW look at the nature! Now we look at the same slopes and count nothing but bears. 15 years ago we should have realized they were calf and lamb killers and started thinning them out when we had a real chance to make a difference!
    Now I hunt moose elsewhere but I bear hunt the area mentioned above with feverish resolve in hopes that my friends who homestead the area can one day successfully hunt moose out their back door again. Perhaps the moose population will rebound enough that I will once again get the invite to come out with them and join the hunt.

Bears are ok, for the most part I like them, heck they don't even taste that bad... To be honest if it wasn't for that annoying habit of killing calves (and lambs) I would probably admire them more and try and kill them less...

I shoot them so other predators have something to eat besides calves.... feed them their own
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

makes me feel like more of a man and like i'm doing something noble...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Smile beautiful

LUjon: That was beautiful man...brought tears to my eyes. (not really but you get the point) That was a great summary of a sportsman who loves the environment and enjoys the outdoors and understands the problem of an imbalance in the predator prey numbers which prevents us from harvesting the wild meat that we prefer because of overabundance of predators.

I think that "calf killer" and such is partially trying to educate the greenies who think that all bears are cute warm and cuddly and eat honey for lunch and should never be hunted.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

LuJon (post#12)

Just curious - now that the bears have eaten all the moose and apparently hit the sheep population pretty hard - what is left for them to eat (the bears)?
    Joe (Ak)

How about Salmon Slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    LUjon: That was beautiful man...brought tears to my eyes. (not really but you get the point) That was a great summary of a sportsman who loves the environment and enjoys the outdoors and understands the problem of an imbalance in the predator prey numbers which prevents us from harvesting the wild meat that we prefer because of overabundance of predators.

I think that "calf killer" and such is partially trying to educate the greenies who think that all bears are cute warm and cuddly and eat honey for lunch and should never be hunted.
    Exactly......cute warm and cuddly till someone gets mulled then the smart ones become educated to the next level

Homer Dave,
    I couldn't agree with you more.

I love hearing the storeis like LuJon posted. I'd be more willing to believe that because he cut a trail into an area that the deed he did, by making the trail, probably brought the demise of more sheep and moose than the bears ever did/ or will do.

I'd rather have bears all over the mountains than 4 wheeler and argo tracks everywhere!

The best way to control moose, goats, sheep etc numbers is to control man not bear.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    LuJon (post#12)

Just curious - now that the bears have eaten all the moose and apparently hit the sheep population pretty hard - what is left for them to eat (the bears)?
    Joe (Ak)
    Well Joe that is an interesting question... The ones we took last year were chomping on berries. I imagine they also eat some tubers and other greens throughout the year. We did see 1 moose in the area last year, and my buddies saw another, both were cows, neither had calves so I guess the bears still eat the few calves that are born in the area. One of my friends flew the area last year and counted over 25 bears in about 10 miles of mountain side.

wy2ak
    The trail head is on private property, in fact the only way to hunt this area is to know or be a land owner and most of them are too old to hunt it like they did in the 70's a few of them still do and they spend a TON of time up there mostly just hiking and scouting. No argo's no wheelers, no tracks and the only people I see I probably know, Backpack hunting only and it used to be GREAT!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast