Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethics on providing intel to other hunters..

Default Ethics on providing intel to other hunters..

Seems to be a lot of ethics threads going and I thought it seems reasonable to ask this question.

Is it ethical or violate the fair chase concept to sell information or to give information to people either privately or publicly regarding where, when and how to conduct a hunt for a specific species of animal or fish.

Does the ethics standard (if there is a "standard") change when a particular resource is in short supply?

Default Sometimes people need to buy stuff..

I think you have something in letting people research where stuff comes from and to learn by doing;but I have also seen something else.

Hunting provides a vital education on what is right and what is wrong and you get this from the experience. There is a whole number of lessons that are passed on generation to generation. These also go hunter to hunter. They are subtle lessons but they are a code that might be older than the Bible. It is something within our species to have a moral code of what is right and what is wrong and you can't get this on your own. I have sought to teach my son this stuff and I have learned much from my father and mother in fact. I might pass on that there might be something up in the country but most of the time I try to gather a sense of whether that person is ready for a specific experience. I know that I have tried out hunting partners and found some easier areas for them.

There is another element to having people pay for information. People will not value something that you try to teach or give it to them for free. They will only value something if they have to pay for it. I don't know why it is this way but it is.

I can tell you that I won't tell you the "honey-hole" areas that I seek to develop for my own use. You can figure that out by helping me cut them in. I haven't had big numbers of volunteers.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I was going to say that the "shooting out the cabin door" ethics thread was the dumbest hunting ethics thread ever. Then this one popped up...

It's hunting season. Go outside folks! These are discussions best left for February!!!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post

I can tell you that I won't tell you the "honey-hole" areas that I seek to develop for my own use. You can figure that out by helping me cut them in. I haven't had big numbers of volunteers.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    But would you sell your honey holes? Would it be ethical to do so?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Well if we're talking about giving information away, I'll tell you that I have no ethical problems accepting all the information you want to give me. Honey holes, GPS coordinates, whatever. Feel free to PM
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Yup..

People again either want to buy or get things for free. I remember that I helped a couple of goat hunters this fall. I didn't get one word of thanks from them.

They took the info and bamf I didn't exist. I was really trying to help them and the response I got from them is the moment they got the info I was worthless.

This buy or just give me attitude runs counter to working for stuff. I guess Alaska is just changing.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GENX View Post
    Seems to be a lot of ethics threads going and I thought it seems reasonable to ask this question.

Is it ethical or violate the fair chase concept to sell information or to give information to people either privately or publicly regarding where, when and how to conduct a hunt for a specific species of animal or fish.

Does the ethics standard (if there is a "standard") change when a particular resource is in short supply?
    Genx,
    You being a newbie on the block don't realize this has been covered many times. Check out the archives on the sidewalk. For the record though, I think it is insidious to sell the information, take money for hunting services rendered, gain monetarily thru the exchange of information, charge a trespass fee, sell a detailed "how to" book and most of all the worst of the lot are the ones that buy it all. They are the ones that create the demand for the profiteers and carpetbaggers to keep the cycle going. Freely exchanging information is how it should be done.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Genx,
    "...Freely exchanging [hunting] information is how it should be done. ..."
    Could NOT AGREE more! Well, with the exception of when I do a sheep or bear hunting clinic or when it comes time to sell my book!
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by GENX View Post

Perhaps a refresher on Ethics is what some folks need.

With all the negative stories folks come out of the field with, that a lot should signal that hunting has changed, and folks are doing it their own way.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

How do you file a ethics complaint?

Talking That's funny I don't care who you are!

That's about the best response to the dumbest op on the ethics of hunting and fair chase I could imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Genx,
    You being a newbie on the block don't realize this has been covered many times. Check out the archives on the sidewalk. For the record though, I think it is insidious to sell the information, take money for hunting services rendered, gain monetarily thru the exchange of information, charge a trespass fee, sell a detailed "how to" book and most of all the worst of the lot are the ones that buy it all. They are the ones that create the demand for the profiteers and carpetbaggers to keep the cycle going. Freely exchanging information is how it should be done.

Default Gen X

Gen X, I hate saying this.
    You sir are starting to quickly gaining "troll" status of stirring up the waters for your own personal satisfaction. First off you try to upset the fine webmaster ( who didn't take the bait) of this site. Then you try to upset many of the long term guides and hunters who frequent this site.
    I guess that I haven't been on the internet to figure out the numbers of people who really have no life.

I try to help people anyway that I can. You make fun of that. These questions are in the archives. I am seeking to present my subjective point of view in an earnest fashion and you seek to make fun of that.

Fine. You quickly join that group that isn't seeking to better hunting and fishing in Alaska. You have your own selfish reasons.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

In context you're asking if it is wrong to profit from what you are good at?

Some people are great at providing intel, or services. Some people are good at playing football. What if they were not allowed to make money at what they were good at? Sunday afternoons would suck.

I have no problem with guides, authors, or football players earning what the market will bare for them.

But, will I sell info to someone that wants it? No. I might give it to someone who needs it. If I saw a nice moose that I had to pass on or something and I knew someone who was short on meat, I might tell them about it. But, if all they want is bragging rights, I'd probably stay quiet.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

My freezer is still empty Soggy ... but if you need fish let me know

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    My freezer is still empty Soggy ... but if you need fish let me know
    My freezer has clothes in it.

When you live with a bag lady, you get used to finding your books in the dryer, and your clothes in the fridge.

The entertainment value here is off the charts.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I am not sure why sharing information would be unethical. Must every one learn every thing on their own?

This seems like an odd question to me. Perhaps because I hunt to fill the freezer rather then for sport.

if everyone thought it was unethical to share information... (whisper..) we wouldn't have this forum..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I'll have to let my dad know that his teaching me to hunt was unethical. Then when I get to Heaven I'll let grandpa know, too.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Being nice to others is not unethical. Helping others in our sport is good for the sport. would i give away my honey hole? no but i would do my best to help

Folks do it with books and T.V. shows all the time. For free the game regs do a pretty good job of it as well guild adds in mags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast