Thread: Horseback bowhunt for moose

Default Horseback bowhunt for moose

AFTER RETURNING FROM MY ANNUAL HAUL ROAD CARIBOU HUNT, EARLY BECAUSE MY SON AND FRIEND WERE INVOLVED IN A ROLL OVER ACCIDENT. I GOT AN INVITE TO ACCOMPANY MY SON , BETH (HIS GIRL FRIEND) AND GOOD FRIEND, MIKE ON A CARIBOU HILLS HORSEBACK MOOSE HUNT. I HAD 2-1/2 HRS TO PACK .
    MY SON LEFT EARLY WITH THE PINZGAUER ( DRIVES SLOWER) AND I RODE WITH BETH TO THE TRAILHEAD AND MIKE HAD TAKEN THE FOUR HORSES ( NORWEIGN FIORDS) IN THE DAY BEFORE.

PINZGAUER WITH MOOSE RACKS FROM 2008 2 WITH BOW AND 2 WITH RIFLE
    BETH & I WERE TO PICK UP THE 4TH SADDLE ALONG THE WAY. BUT MIKES BROTHER HAD ALREADY GOTTEN IT AND WAS NOT AVAILABLE. ABOUT ONE HOUR ON THE TRAIL AND WE WERE AT THERE CABIN (NEW SINCE THE FIRE). MIKE USED A PACK SADDLE WITH BLANKET ALSO HAD TO MAKE A BRIDLE.
    CARRYING A COMPOUND BOW ON A HORSE THROUGH BRUSH IS A REAL CHALLENGE. MY BOW WOULD NOT FIT INTO THE COMMERICALLY MADE SCABBARD. I HAVE A PRIMOS BOW SLING AND IT WORKED PRETTY GOOD BUT I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT DAMAGING THE ARROW REST OR SIGHT.

PAT ON BOONE , A NORWIEGEN FIORD
    I WAS BOWHUNTING AND BETH WAS USING A RIFLE , ROB AND MIKE WERE JUSRT CATERING TO US AND WILL BOWHUNT AFTER WE HEAD HOME.
    FIRST MORNING SAW A BULL COUPLE MILES FROM CAMP . A “TWEENER” 32 INCHER . WAS WARM AND DRY CONDITIONS EVEN WITH SOME RAIN AND HAIL. THAT WAS THE ONLY BULL WE SAW IN 5 DAYS. SAW A NICE CHOCOLATE BROWN, BROWN BEAR. TWICE 2-3 DAYS APART IN SAME AREA ABOVE TREELINE.
    I AM NOT A HORSEMAN AND ALWAYS AMAZED IN WHAT THEY CAN DO. LAST NIGHT WE CALLED OUT 4 COWS AND HAD 1-2 BULLS AND COW IN BRUSH. GOT DARK WE WERE 2-1/2 TO 3 MILES FROM CAMP. THESE GREAT STEEDS TRIP/ STUMPLE LESS IN THE DARK AND FOLLOW THE TRAIL WE TOOK COMING IN WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM. TUSSUCKS, DEADFALL TREES AND BRUSH WITHOUT AN ISSUE, IT IS STILL UN-NERVING WHEN YOU CAN NOT SEE YOU ARE RUSHING THROUGH THE TREES. LIMBS ARE AN ISSUE BUT WE TRY TO SNAP THOSE OFF AS WE RIDE IN. I WAS VERY LUCKY TO GET THE BEST HORSE ,BOONE, BUT ALL WERE VERY GOOD. BUCKY LIVES UP TO HIS NAME OCCASIONALLY.

MT. REDOUBT-ROB AND BETH ON BUCKY AND BJORN
    MY SON AND MIKE WILL BE UP,THERE FOR ANOTHER 5 DAYS.

FROSTY SUN RISE ON LAST MORNING WE HUNTED
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Go ahead and rub it in. I should be just down the trail from those guys right now but my vacation got cancelled as we are so short handed at work. There is always next year. I hope Mike does well like he always does.

Have you used the Pinzgauer offroad any? If so, how does it perform? Comparisons to swamp buggies with tractor tires would be interesting. Thanks.

theultrarider- , not placing who you are, if i know you? Mike and my son (Rob) have been busting butt trying to locate some critters but conditions are squirrelly and they have not had any luck yet. but we were early also.
    Chrisana- the Pinzguaer is mine but my son really has been the one using it off road. it does real well. we have big tires ( did not use or need them this year) but need to get a set that self clear mud better. with it's high ground clearance, 4wd, lockers front and rear. plus rated to climb 70% grade and side hill 40% it is pretty awesome but does get stuck in the soft stuff. they are low horse power (89hp) 4 cyc. aircooled on road noisey, vibrate alot and 65mph is max.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default fiord

The fiords are one of the most sure footed and mild manner horses that you can sit on. A wee bit slow, but in Alaska most likely fit the ticket the best.

yes they are sure footed and mild mannered. in my lack of experience i can not say they are slow....too fast for me at times but that is probably operator error if i was to get horses a fiord would be #1 on my list.

The Mohawk on that horse is awesome, looks like your going into battle

The fiord filly I have is byfar the smartest animal I have ever seen and tougher then a nail. Keeps up with my Perch crosses all day long and nothing spookes her.

Default Son's luck either holding or not getting better

last night dusk...dark dusk they had a brown bear charge, he was in lead, his horse went ape shXt , saw movement into brush(AWAY FROM THEM) , dismounted, owner of horses dismounted, both pulled rifles out of scabbards and here it came
    other guy shot it no body hurt and no injury to horses
    i went in today and just got home with the hide and skull ? 7-1/2 BEAR they will turn it in next week put it in my freezer
    HIS BOW HAS BEEN DAMAGED 3 TIMES IN LAST 3 WEEKS, sheep hunt-horse wreck, caribou hunt- truck wreck and today horse lay down
    he has been able to fix and resight in each time.

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    Chrisana- the Pinzguaer is mine but my son really has been the one using it off road. it does real well. we have big tires ( did not use or need them this year) but need to get a set that self clear mud better. with it's high ground clearance, 4wd, lockers front and rear. plus rated to climb 70% grade and side hill 40% it is pretty awesome but does get stuck in the soft stuff. they are low horse power (89hp) 4 cyc. aircooled on road noisey, vibrate alot and 65mph is max.
    Thanks for the comeback on that. The Pinzgauer looks like an interesting vehicle and I have wondered what they were capable of offroad.

[QUOTE=AK NIMROD;577705]last night dusk...dark dusk they had a brown bear charge,
    Now thats exitement, how bad did the horse freak. I am not looking forward to my horses first bear sighting, he's wound to start with
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

lead horse, Bucky(that my son was on ) locked ears on, blew, snorted, then i guess the rodeo started, son bailed at that point. not sure what the other horses did.

Default AkNimrod

Sounds like ya'll are having a blast. Saw a ton of bear tracks down near Alexander creek yesterday but no sightings. Take care.

SON RIFLED 59-3/4" BULL PIX AND STORY IN AK HUNTING THREDS "11TH HOUR BULL"
    HERE IS PIC OF THE BEAR