Thread: Ethics and hunting from the road

Default Ethics and hunting from the road

Heres an incident to ponder.
    Locally, there was a sow griz, 2 cubs, and a young 3-4 year old male griz hanging about along one of the secondary hiways. 2 days ago, someone shot the young male, right on the side of the road, took the head,hide and front quarters and left the carcass,
    It was 100% legal, but would you consider it ethical and/or responsible given the location?
    These bears had been hanging about feeding in the area for quite some time, and had become quite popular with wildlife photographers and the general public. Seeing that hunting does get a lot of bad press anyway, i can see this generating even more.
    Whats your folks take on something like this?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Default I see no problem with it

If it was like you said, legal, then so be it. I guess a scenario would be during moose season, a bus is pulled off on the side of the road shooting pictures a large bull moose. Would you stop and shoot it? I would since I am a meat hunter and this may be my only opportunity to get meat. Maybe others wouldn't. Judgement call by each.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Heres an incident to ponder.
    Locally, there was a sow griz, 2 cubs, and a young 3-4 year old male griz hanging about along one of the secondary hiways. 2 days ago, someone shot the young male, right on the side of the road, took the head,hide and front quarters and left the carcass,
    It was 100% legal, but would you consider it ethical and/or responsible given the location?
    These bears had been hanging about feeding in the area for quite some time, and had become quite popular with wildlife photographers and the general public. Seeing that hunting does get a lot of bad press anyway, i can see this generating even more.
    Whats your folks take on something like this?
    "... It was 100% legal...", Not if any part of the harvested animal was left "...on a public road or right-of-way...".
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    If it was like you said, legal, then so be it. I guess a scenario would be during moose season, a bus is pulled off on the side of the road shooting pictures a large bull moose. Would you stop and shoot it? I would since I am a meat hunter and this may be my only opportunity to get meat. Maybe others wouldn't. Judgement call by each.
    I think I'd would at least try to wait until the bus left - though certainly would understand if someone did not!
    Joe (Ak)

Same can be said about a guide who takes a client into a national park and bags a bear. Fully legal.

However the anti-hunters with video cameras have a tyraid and contact the local newspaper.

Fully legal, might not present itself in a fancy image, but legal nonetheless.

Keep in mind this was local to him, Whitehorse, YK area. Not alaska.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I see nothing wrong with it, if it was as you said it was legal and ethical IMO. I would have took that grizzly too if I was presented with that opportunity, but that is just me. If it was a legal moose especially, I would have taken that opportunity also. Of course if there were tourists or photographers around I would definitely wait until they left the area to go after the critter.

Just about like the Taylor Highway. I guess it will be a matter of time before this area gets the 1/4 mile rule too. Last year lots of moose parts left right on the side of the road. Even more of a matter of time before all road hunting is stopped. But the question should be just that. Personally for me it should have some limitations. What I don't know.

the tour bus and the moose is kind of a funny situation i can see it now. a bunch of tourists with their little kids taking pictures up pulls joe hunter jumps out runs 50ft. off the road to be legal makes a fantastic double lung shot the moose runs in circles spraying blood in a quarter mile radius including the sides of the bus and dies moaning right there for all to see. is it legal...yes, is it ethical and does it well represent the sport we love... up to you. i would say a little disgression should be used when hunting at all times

Taking a bear next to the road is fine, but I think the responsible thing to do would be to move the carcass to a place that is not within obvious view of the road. At least roll it into the alders, but even better would be to load it into a vehicle and take it somewhere off the main highway corridor.

As for the moose scenario, I know someone who did that very thing. The caveat is that he sat and waited for the bus to drive away, then shot the moose.

Default Jealous People

I think there are just alot of jealous people out there willing to criticize anyone!! I think a double lung shot would be a good shot, and it would probably be just a bus load of tourists, so they will have something to talk about when they get back to their own states.. Its food in the freezer!!!

Default Scenario

actually happened. Had a couple of friends heading down the road and there was a bus pulled over and low and behold a bull! They jumped out, legally off the road and shot it. The people on the bus actually got to see a little bit of the butchering and were quite interested in it. I guess a win/win. Joe, I would try my best to wait until the bus left, but when people are hunting for meat in where there aren't many moose, they won't wait too long!

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Joe, I would try my best to wait until the bus left, but when people are hunting for meat in where there aren't many moose, they won't wait too long!
    I wouldn't either!
    Joe (Ak)

BANG! I would let the bus leave if at all possible. In AK filling your freezer may depend on how well you eat that winter. Outsiders need to know that as well.

If it was a bus full of rednecks they would all cheer and help do the butchering.

Default brother-in-law

got a bou that way once. He was driving along and saw a bus alongside the road. He stopped and saw the tourist taking pics of a nice pair of bulls. He then asked the group, explaining that he subsists on wild game, if they would be offended if he shot it for the freezer. The group understood and said no, go ahead. Once he had the bou down the group gathered to watch and ask questions as he dressed it out. A couple of brothers in the group even help pack it back the 30yds to his truck. He got thier names and address and sent them a package of bou sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    If it was a bus full of rednecks they would all cheer and help do the butchering.
    They would help only if they got one of the following. Hide, Heart, Liver Gizzard or a big chunk of tallow. i know animals dont have Gizzards so you would have to tell them the Kindeys is a gizzard