Thread: Sako parts

Default Sako parts

I need a little help folks. I stumbled across a good deal on a Sako AV in 375 H&H. Turns out the stock isn't correct for the rifle, and the recoil lug wasn't seated against anything in the stock. Of course, I didn't realize this until I hit the range and three rounds drove the tang into the stock, splitting off pieces of fiberglass. Dis-assembly shows I need a few parts to make it whole again...

Does anybody know where I can find front and rear action screws (never seen those bend before) and maybe an AV magazine box? Right now there's an AIII mag box, and it's a little tweaked so the rounds won't feed reliably. I don't know if the AIII box is any different than the AV (Murphy?), but factory ammo completely fills it lengthwise, and if there are any other options, I'd prefer a little more room.

I've already tried Numrich and they don't have what I need. Brownell's has action screws but no mag boxes. I'd prefer to buy locally, but I'm willing to go outside if necessary.

Thanks,

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Nut View Post
    I need a little help folks. I stumbled across a good deal on a Sako AV in 375 H&H. Turns out the stock isn't correct for the rifle, and the recoil lug wasn't seated against anything in the stock. Of course, I didn't realize this until I hit the range and three rounds drove the tang into the stock, splitting off pieces of fiberglass. Dis-assembly shows I need a few parts to make it whole again...

Does anybody know where I can find front and rear action screws (never seen those bend before) and maybe an AV magazine box? Right now there's an AIII mag box, and it's a little tweaked so the rounds won't feed reliably. I don't know if the AIII box is any different than the AV (Murphy?), but factory ammo completely fills it lengthwise, and if there are any other options, I'd prefer a little more room.

I've already tried Numrich and they don't have what I need. Brownell's has action screws but no mag boxes. I'd prefer to buy locally, but I'm willing to go outside if necessary.

Thanks,

Adam
    I thought I sent you a PM about this but I guess not.

For the A-V action, many of the early ones used the magazine box stamped A-III. These are the same as long as they are for the same caliber. The A-III box for the 30-06 family is shorter than the A-III box for the 375 H&H. In the A-V action all A-V boxes are the same. There are three different A-III bottom metals and two different A-V bottom metals (?). If you have the later A-V type the trigger guard and floor plate frame are held together with two strong screws in front of the trigger guard. The earlier type is all one piece as are all A-III types. The A-III came in two different hole spacings with some other differences. If your bottom metal isn't bent, just replacing the screws may be all you need. Brownells carries the Forster (maker of the trimmer and other stuff) screws for Sako, Mauser, etc. That would be a cheap fix. I have complete bottom metal for the A-IV (won't work) and A-V but will cost ya. McMillan makes an excellent stock for your rifle paterned after the original Sako walnut stock with palm swell or their classic with cheek piece, to fit the A-III or A-V, short or long tang. All A-V's were long rear tang. All L-61's were short tang and the A-III's were some of both, with different screw spacing. Serial number range will help to identify your particular species. My guess 585,000 to 630,000 range.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The serial # is 579xxx and it has one-piece bottom metal. The metal looks straight, so I don't think I'll be needing it (appreciate knowing you've got it if necessary though)

I got the Forster screws in the mail today and pulled things apart. Bear with me as I post pics to help explain.

Pic 1 shows how the mag box sits on the action

Pic 2 shows the mag box. Notice it's an AIII4. What may not be readily visible is that it's slightly un-square.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pic 1 shows a round in the mag box. There's not much room in there, but the round fits.

Pic 2 shows the assembled action. The mag box isn't perfectly aligned with the bottom metal, but it functions okay and feeds all the rounds like it should.

Two more pics of the assembled action with different lighting and angle. It appears the mag box won't slide fore/aft based upon the action screw tension, but I'd feel a lot better if the stock was properly designed to enclose the box to keep it aligned.

Here are a few pics of the cause/effect. Notice the bolt holes are off-center, but only the front bolt bent. The back allowed enough slack for it to shift in the stock and split the tang.

Here's the recoil lug seat. Everything that's yellow is either a very poor mold from Bell & Carlson or the effect of 20 years of recoil compression. I've decided this doesn't look like someone removed material in preparation for a bedding job, but is either a design flaw or a fluke based on hard use. I'm tempted to plead my case to B&C, but I don't know if I want them to send me a replacement stock or not

Here is my professional opinion about your rifle.

I don't think that is a Bell and Carlson stock but can't see enough to tell.
    Your rifle is definately a short tang A-III. The magazine box is correct for the rifle and caliber and sits in place correctly. It does appear to be slightly squeezed in and the sides aren't straight but that can be fixed easily enough. It isn't damaged. That is the way they sit and it will work fine. When bedding the rifle we cut aout any contact of magazine and stock and the way it is assembled in your photo is the way it must sit in the rifle.

I think the stock was for a later model Sako, in fact I think it was from what Sako calls a FiberClass stock, made by McMillan, and a very good stock....however. Does it have a cheek piece? Does it have a black rubber pad that says Sako? It was for a long tang action (later A-III or A-V) and it was never bedded to the action and the rear tang didn't touch or the rear tang portion was filled in with some puddy(?) and didn't hold. Obviously it moved during recoil and it was shot several times in this condition. It is possible that the action was just loose in the action when shot and in this case the stock could have been correct for the action but I don't think so. The only fiber glass stock worth carrying home for the Sako rifle is McMillan. They have that classic style or the hunter style a repro of the Sako walnut stock with palm swell.

Either way the 579,000 rifle came with a walnut stock, I have one from my own rifle but want to keep it. If you could post a pic of the whole stock , a left side view and a close up of the top action area I can tell what it is. Also did someone drill and tap that rifle? (Aurgh!!!!!) I think all can be fixed and if the stock is what I think it is it too can be repaired and bedded and made to work.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Does/did your rifle look like this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=141608422

Thanks for the assessment Murphy.

I'll get pictures of the stock when I get home tonight. The recoil pad says Bell & Carlson, and it's fit very well to the stock without screws (glue?), so I assumed it was factory installed. The tang relief was never filled with putty, and where it's splitting, it's chipping the outer black layer off and there's visible yellow foam filling underneath. I think the stock could be salvaged, but it would require filling and re-drilling the action screw holes. I realize the pics don't show it very well, but they're not even close to center. The action moved rearward and to the left, and even the right edge of the holes is left of center. If I decide to replace it with synthetic (likely) I was leaning towards HS Precision as the turn-around time right now is about two weeks instead of four months for the McMillan.

I'm very relieved to hear I don't need a new mag box. I never thought it would be so difficult to find parts for a used rifle!

As far as being a short-tang AIII, the receiver is stamped AV and completely fills the tang relief in the stock. I know Sako had a really “unique” method of identifying their models, especially during the transition from the L61R through the AV series, so it wouldn’t surprise me if I have a short-tang AV, even though none were ever supposed to have been produced.

A little more information on the rifle: It's a custom build, probably local, and bears engraving "Alaska Guide Series, #1 of 25" on the floorplate. I figure the bbl was cut to 20", the front sight added (no rear/I bought a Sako peep) and the stock changed from wood to synthetic as part of that work.

It's not drilled and tapped! I got it shortly before moose season, and didn't have a plan on what optic to use. It came with Weaver bases for the dovetail, and I had an Aimpoint that was designed for Weaver mounts, so I just went that route. I doubt it will keep the Weavers much longer, as I'm a fan of scopes and Warne Maxima QD rings.

Thanks again for the help and insight,

Adam

OK, gotcha. It just looked like a short tang, I forgot that it was stamped A-V on the action, they were all long tang, of course with that serial number it could only be an A-IV or A-V. If that is yellow foam in the stock it isn't McM, they always have this light, white powdery filler. H-S Precision is good equipment and a light weight stock that is very solid cane be found there. I didn't realize it was a custom gun, they should have bedded it. Weaver only made those drive on bases for a short while, Redfield also made them, still have some of those. It will be a solid rifle when you get a stock under it. Good luck with that. What $$ is a H-S stock now?

My stock is definitely not the original McMillan from a Fiberclass. Wish I could find one of those as it is certainly one of my favorite designs. A new HS stock lists at $350 for basic, plus another $60 to reach my L.O.P. Of course my wife called them this afternoon only to discover they don't have any more in-stock, so the wait time is (again) 2-3 months. I think I found an alternative though: High Tech Specialties http://www.hightech-specialties.com/stocks.html A classic-style stock runs $252 +$65 for a recoil pad installation to my L.O.P. The warranty is lifetime and covers any defect in the stock including warping and chipping. I believe at one point they made stocks for UltraLite Arms, but I can't confirm that. Any thoughts?

Here are the pics of my stock. The sling is probably the nicest thing about it, even though it does point and carry well. Certainly not a fan of the integral sling mount.

Close-up of the inletting with alternative lighting plus one of the recoil pad to assist with ID/dating.

Here's a look at the damage to the tang screw hole. Notice it never was centered, and it just got worse from there. The front action screw hole isn't as bad, but it too is off-center and likely contributed to the stock failure. I think it could probably be salvaged, but it's likely to be more time and effort than I'm willing to put forth for something that might not work.