Thread: ANC Coastal Refuge

Default ANC Coastal Refuge

Four years ago I was talking to a buddy and he told me that the access to the ANC coastal refuge from the Ocean View part of town was a really easy way to get into the upper end of the refuge where shotgun hunting is allowed.

Park in the Reef Place park area and walk down the hill and through the trees on a wide trail and in 10 minutes you are on the grass flats and hunting the little ponds above the high tide line. I was leary of his discription knowing that there are a lot of alders at the base of the hill. He assured me that it was "a walk in the park". He said that all I needed to wear was my Xtra-tufs.

If I ever see that guy again I am going to kick him in the sack. Twice.

The first 1/4 mile is floating alder bog and then another 1/4 mile of dead spruce tree grass bog, which was not too bad, and then you make it to the grass flats. Yes there is a nice wide trail at the bottom of the hill but being a floating alder bog one step is ankle deep and the next is up to your hip. With the amount of activity it has seen since the opener it is really torn up.

Like a fool I kept going but eventually left the trail for better footing in the alders. Luckily I learned how to hop through bogs out on Adak when I was in wrestling shape. Now that I am 27 years and 80 pounds past my wrestling days I am a little slower, but still nimble enough to make it through this kind of mess. What was really cool is that I am in decent enough shape after this summer of chasing the puppy up hills that this did not kill me.

Once back to hard ground I did notice that there is a narrow foot trail that goes along the toe of the slope below the tracks so that might lead to some "easier" access. I will never know.

Next time I will go past the range and try that area. No more alder bogs.

Oh, you want to know about birds. One snipe flushed while I was balanced on two alder stumps over a bottomless bog puddle so I didn't take a shot. While at the base of the hill with only 10 minutes till the end of shooting time one family group of birds flew over and headed towards the south. Maybe to Potter. As I drove back through town to home I noticed lots of small family groups flying around town just before dark. Got to hate the city birds.

This a pretty good explaination of access to the refuge from Reef Rd. I used to do it a lot, in my chest waders. Those floating bogs suck as well as the pockets of water with really deep mud.
    Once you get through all that, you are lucky to get one or two birds, but at least you will lose 10 pounds trying to do it.

The map ADFG gave me mentioned there was access from Kincaid so I went to do a bit of scouting this morning, but that place is huge and I didn't find it. I had to go pick up my kid before the info center there opened, but overall it didn't look like the kind of place where people would appreciate me wandering around lost with a shotgun while they play disc golf. Anyone enter from there before? I also walked the trail at Johns, but it just led me to another road.

Default Kincaid

I would start at the motor cycle park off of diamond and move north. The bike park is the north boundary of a no shot gun area. From the bike park you can get right onto the "beach" and then to the flats.

Smile access to the ANC CR

I used to hunt it a lot. I always went in through Kincaid. I did get some funny looks and questions, but all in all people understand the dual use. I did keep the birds tucked away on the way out just to remove the dead bird shock value.

The biggest problem I ran into is the number of people that choose to just walk around on the flats. The get quite a shock when a couple of birds come in and the guns start going off.

Hey it is Alaska, things happen.

Default Yeah, Oceanview Access no Walk in the Park

Going in at Ocean View... sucks. Period. I still do it, because part of me enjoys the struggle and because it produces birds, but I would be willing to chip in $300 to help fund some sort of walkway or even just simple reinforcing of the trail that is there. The way it is now, it is just going to get more and more torn up. I have actually pulled it off from that location wearing 18" boots, but I got lucky. I never go in there now without chest waders.

Access at Little Rabbit Creek, just past the rifle range, is good, firm ground. Still want high boots as a minimum. Not a whole lot of area to hunt here, though, especially when overlapping business hours at the shooting park. Plus, you have to be careful not to drop a bird in the creek.

Access from Kincaid - you can go in at the motorcross course as suggested below, but the area to hunt gets pretty skinny going from there around the point. There is a wider area between point Woronzof and the popular Kincaid beach that offers better hunting. I park at the chalet and go down the paved path to the coastal trail. There are several trails that will lead you down to the bluff. And yeah, be careful not to shoot anybody! I have also parked at Pt. Woronzof and walked the coastal trail from that side. Again, there are foot paths going down the bluff to the hunt area. It's more walking this way.

Anyway, best thing to do is go down and check it out. Check it all out. Part of the fun is finding your own way. That's the beauty of being able to hunt here in town, not much ventured by way of cost or time. Good luck.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Update on the ACWR??

I went out to South Anchorage this evening. I only saw one duck. Thankfully, I will be having that duck for dinner tomorrow night, but all the same, I was hoping for more action. Are things more or less done down there for the season? I have not hunted it before later than about now, but I've wondered if there are still opportunities. Am I spinning my wheels, or might I still have a shot at some ducks and maybe even a Canada or two?

PS - Who's with me for bringing a load of alder boughs to line that trail (off Reef). The soup has gotten ridiculous.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I've hunted the southern end a few times over the last week in the mornings. It's been slim pickings with most mornings not even seeing ducks unless I drive by Potter Marsh.

Default Love/Hate It

I've only been duck hunting for about 4 years, but when I still lived in Anchorage I really got to know the Refuge.

There is a better access through a city right of way. It's through a home owner's side yard on the little cul de sac just south of Reef Dr. I saw it on a city map and approached the owner one time and they said, yes, it was a public access across their grass to the south of their house, just don't trample the raspberry bushes...I think the path down there out onto the flats is an old sewer line road bed...

The very first time I went into the Refuge via Reef I hit a bottomless spring on the way through the alders and was up to my neck in soup RTFN! I threw the shot gun up onto the reeds (it was unloaded for the walk), and then I belly crawled/swam out of it. I was soaked, but undaunted, and just kept moving for the next couple of hours. Got a couple of mallards that day...LOL!

jim

Default Yup

Funny you should mention that - I found that exact route last night on my way back to the car. I said to myself, "Self, this looks like a pretty nice trail here," and I was stoked until I ended up on some guy's lawn. I, too, went to talk to him about it. He confirmed that there was a right-of-way running basically through his yard. He said he appreciated me asking him about it, though. He then proceeded to tell me that the access at Ocean View Bluff was most likely better, although I do disagree . I'll probably go on the right-of-way from now on.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

better parking on Reef maybe

Today i did a second search for access info and came up with a blank on this "new" other route.

I have used the over the lawn access on the east side of town to get into the tank trails and upper campbell track trails. The owner stated that they were required to clearly mark the outline of the easement so that it is obvious to the users. Last time I used it they had white rocks on each side of the four foot easement clearly showing the path. There was a tiny little sign at the curb as well. This may be something for the state parks though and the state refuge guys don't require it.

you guys should just go down johns park trail till you get to a really tall grassy area, its almost to the end of timberline street, there are no lawns to worry about there, and you drop down over the bluff.

I haven't hunted it in years, but I used to park at Pt. Woranzof (sp?), ride my bike out the Coastal Trail to where the trail gets near the beach, lock my bike up to a tree over the edge of the bluff and then go hunt out on the flats. I rarely saw more than one or two people, and I was usually alone out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
    you guys should just go down johns park trail till you get to a really tall grassy area, its almost to the end of timberline street, there are no lawns to worry about there, and you drop down over the bluff.

Keep in mind that Johns Park has Furrow Creek running through it and marks the southern boundary of the no shotgun area.

There should be a sign out on the refuge that shows where you can start gun hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    ... I was usually alone out there.
    Brian - this could be construed to mean that you were all alone out there - including the ducks! I have gone down to that area a couple times, and I've never seen any birds within range of a bazooka. But, maybe I've just hit it at the wrong times. Have you had good success there (understanding it would be a few years back)?

The through-the-lawn route does not have a clearly marked right-of-way path. Like I said, I found it by coming up from the flats on what was clearly a better path than the mire I had swum through on my way in! It's there, though. Once past the lawn, it is a very recognizable trail.

-gr
    My signature is awesome.

This is the first year I've hunted the ACWR so my experience is pretty limited. I've hunted the southern end about 6 times this year and have bagged 5 ducks. The last one was a cripple my dog found. I'm sure the first week or so is probably the best, but I hunted other areas during that time period. The area seems to have decent habitat and the access is just tough enough to keep the average Barney away, but there just aren't that many ducks from what I've seen. I use the area when I don't have time to drive to more productive grounds and I'm happy and surprised when I'm lucky enough to bring a bird home. Hunting less than 10 minutes from home is almost reward enough.

I'm gonna revive this ol' guy for a question. So, If I enter the refuge from oceanview bluff park, do I head north or south to get in gun hunting zone?

From that access you are right in the middle of the gun zone. You will have to walk a long ways north to get out of the gun zone where the northern boundary is at the creek.

Right on Ray, I sure am glad your still lurking about.

I am off right now to kick around in there and look for some grouse/rabbits with my new 20 gauge. More than anything just to get the dog out. Thank you very much.

Thread Revival...

I live on that end of town and access the refuge from the Ocean View Bluff Park on Reef Place. Me and the pup have been going all summer to explore and throw bumpers. BTW the trick to avoid taking a bath at the edge of the marsh is when you get to the tractor tire veer right through the alders and pretty soon you'll hit a pretty clear trail (it might have been a seismic trail--it's arrow straight) that runs parallel to the old sewage line. The ground is reasonably firm and leads out to the dead timber. I've made a dozen trips in my knee highs and not gotten wet, but waders are a must in the dark.

I'm a novice and have not gotten out yet as I've been on the slope since the first of September. I get home on the 20th and will have the luxury of hunting the refuge mid-week. I have some questions if any of you more experienced guys care to share

1) I've looked on maps, but for the life of me cannot find Furrow Creek. How far north beyond the old sewage line is Furrow Creek? or is Furrow creek the trickle immediately to the south of the line?

2) During my exploring I've noticed decent numbers of ducks feeding in the salt just off the beach. I realize this is probably tide dependant but is it worth setting decoys in the salt? Is one tide period better?

3) In my exploring I have not found any ponds although there appears to be a few on google earth. Are they really there? Are they worth hunting over?

4) Is anyone interested in showing a rookie the ropes? I've got an 870 and a dozen mixed puddler and a dozen mallard decoys. Not looking to be the next Phil Robertson, just a introductory trip with the hopes that my unfinished pup will be fetching her first duck, and maybe make a new friend. Lunch afterwards at Judy's is on me!
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today