Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Westcomb Syncro Cargo Pants: Initial field test

Default Westcomb Syncro Cargo Pants: Initial field test

Well I swung through Barneys the other day intent on picking up a sea to summit eVent dry sack to replace my Wiggys stuff sack for my Glacier hunter. Of course while there I had to check and confirm that I am in fact still too fat for any of the available Mammut Champ pants.. Well while looking at the pant selection I was very impressed w/ the Westcomb Syncro pants. The splash from the sink water test proved an easy success so I felt that the pants warranted a more thorough field test. After choking on the price tag a bit I walked out w/ my new pants and stuff sack under my arm.

Well yesterday was the first time I got to get them out in the field. The test was not the hardest (atv ride in followed by a bit of still hunting) but it did serve to allow me to make some observations. First off the stretchy material rocks! The pants breath great and they seem pretty durable (excellent stitching). I though that they may be a little loud at first but they didn't seem to make any weird noises as I worked my way through the alders and brush. I did manage to take a good wave over the bow so to speak as I entered a big puddle w/ my wheeler while my buddy left it displacing tons of water. I thought for sure I was going to be a muddy mess w/ all of the water that sprayed me. To my surprise the muddy water just beaded and rolled off like it never happened.

The only down side is that the crotch is a bit more shallow than I would prefer. It is not uncomfortable and doesn't bind, but I did notice it so thought I would mention it. I may try a different pair of boxers to see if that makes a difference. Anyone who wears boxer jocks or similar would never notice anything at all. I am sure that I won't even notice after a few more miles of wear and the bennefits of the pants outweigh this slight complaint. Final note they also have the nicest pocket material I have found on any pants. Without adding bulk or weight the pockets are acually soft and warm. I am not a big hands in the pockets guy (ex-military) but w/ these pants I found that I was regularly using them to warm up while standing around looking over an alder field or creek valley.
    I hope to get them out for a longer hike and hopefully some time in the tall wet grass to see how water resistant they really are in the next few days

What type of hunter would you recommend these pants to?

The Sporthills are getting a quick return back to the store.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

Active! I bought them for mountain backpack hunts and I think they will be perfect for that. The best I found in the past was the Sitka mountain pants but I think these are better.

My Sporthills are WAY to hot for me, I never wear them! The Syncro pants are much lighter and cooler to wear. Wind resistance seems pretty good and if I need insulation I will toss on a set of merino wool long johns. My mountain pants dried very fast, I don't know how fast the Syncro pants will dry because I havn't managed to find a way to get them wet I imagine that after a good period of walking through wet grass I will manage to finally saturate them and I will be able to gauge this better. Right now all water has just beaded up and run off

If they had a size that fit me I would also look at the Mammut Champ. I really like the look of them and they get great reviews. I have actually never read a bad review on the champs The only thing bad about them in my opinion is that they don't make my size. If you found the Sporthills too hot like I did then both of these pants (champs and Syncros) seem well made and whichever one feels more comfortable would probably be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

Did you have a problem with the Sporthills? Only issue i've had with them is they are too warm for fall hunting, they would be perfect for winter hunting I would think.

Thanks. They sound great.

Looking for pics and specs, I note that Westcomb's web site doesn't name the Syncro pant - but they have a couple others they label as "No Name For Now". Apparently, they need to update their site.

By looking at their web site, can you identify the Syncros?
    Price at Barneys?

I've worn my sporthills (the newer ones) the last couple years sheep and moose hunting. Ya, on hot days they can be a little warm but I like them as an "all around one pair of pants" type pant so far. I wore them every day last week moose hunting in the high country. We did not have any temps below freezing. The wind was always blowing and it was chilly. I was glad to have them on. No long johns in the hot afternoons and while riding the quad. This year sheep hunting it was cold cold in the brooks and I wore them with merino wool long johns and was comfortable. When humping it out at lower elevations in warmer temps and sun they were a little warm but not too bad. I find that they breath pretty good. It may have been nice to have light nylon pants one day but the rest of time I was glad I had the warmth. I think they are getting a little thread bare in the but though. I'd like to see them have an extra layer of something there and in the knees for durability. But, I don't have any holes in them yet so I guess that's good. I do like the looks of the champ pants and may have to try those next.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Did you have a problem with the Sporthills? Only issue i've had with them is they are too warm for fall hunting, they would be perfect for winter hunting I would think.
    I found them to be great warmth wise as my only bottom layer and dried nicely when soaking wet. I hiked a few miles in them, only overheating was from over dressed upper body but that was easily remedied.

The stitching in one of the belt loops and one of the pant leg zippers came unstitched. The store I bought them from gladly accepted the return and I immediately spent the money in house, plus a few more $$ to upgrade a couple things. I think they could be better made, zip cargo pockets in the legs, better buttons, more belt loops. Fabric pills up like fleece.

I'm now looking for a more universal pant. Something to keep warm down to the low 40's, breathe a bit, shed some water (not in a pouring rain), good for hiking in.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The price tag is some what shocking @ $240... Here is another review http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ichard%20Lyon/

It looks like the no name pants from the website are the next generation of the syncro cargo pants.

The Westcombs are tops!!!! There on my list for this spring on the peninsula for brownies!!!! Bob was telling me that he bought them for all his workers at his lodge in Chenega. They've been used 110+ days of physical labor and are going strong!!! There are a light pant and VERY stain resistant. High intensity physical output or damp contitions, or meat packing (blood) would be great for them.

The sporthills are ridiculously fast drying, so you can't complain much there. They are rather warm, but if you're sitting around a lot or the weather is cooler I can't think of a better pant.

Like anything nothing is perfect. Ideally you have 4-5 different pants, tents, boots, ect, ect for each condition so saying this one is this or this one is that is irrelivant. We can find situations for even the best gear where it isn't ideal. Sporthills are awesome, but not for every situation. I LOVE my Liskamms, but not for every situation. Westcombs are awesome, but not for every situation.

Brett

Smile Arc'teryx

I finally tried out the Arc'teryx Gamma AR pants this year after scoping them out for a few years. All I can say is, EXCELLENT! I found thee ultimate mountain hunting pant (IMO). I have a set of Sporthills also, and I do like them, but the Gammas win my top vote. My Mountain Hardwear Winter Wanders are a close second. The WWs are a better value, because they are nearly as good as the Gamma's but less than half the price. IMO, both of these are better than the Champs and neck in neck with the Westcombs.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The price tag is some what shocking @ $240... Here is another review http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ichard%20Lyon/

It looks like the no name pants from the website are the next generation of the syncro cargo pants.
    OUCH....kind of a bummer to hear, i've been looking for some good hiking pants after mountain climbing last month in jeans (stupid, stupid, stupid!) but those are a little out of my price range. Welcome home by the way.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

BIGAK, you dont need anything special really or that expensive for that matter. I got 5 years out of my last pair of Mt Hardware convertible pants. Silkweight or midweight longjohns added depending on time of year and a reliable rain shell and you have a light durable hiking/climbing setup that will take you from April through Sept/Oct. After that I usually switch to a winter hard shell pant. Mt. Hrdwr Convertibles are around $100 and there are other options under a hundo. $240 pants arent necessary to be comfortable.

While I am a fan of the Sitka Ascent pants, I also found the Exos pants from Outdoor Research work well, and not as expensive.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_exos_pants.html

I got an unexpected opportunity to test how fast these pants dry when I found myself submerged on a creek the other day. Temps were dropping pretty quick and I was soaked but luckily they do dry extremely fast. I was grateful for this quality in both my sitka Ascent jacket and the wetcombs because I had a slow 6 mile trail ride out after dark in wet gear that would have been miserable othewise!

Lujon,

How are the Ascent tops? I haven't seen them yet.

Brett

like wearing the pants as a jacket. I have moved to my 90% on the last couple outings (still hunting in thick woods and swamp) but for hard hiking the ascent jacket is pretty sweet! Light enough that it doesn't need pit zips while on the move under a heavy pack but warm enough you don't get chilled when you stop for a rest break. As mentioned above it dries super fast and it is also has the 4 way stretch so no binding etc.

Been looking for the No Name for Now pants w/o success. I have a two year old pair of Mammut Champ pants. How do the Westcombs compare?

On my goat hunt in '08, I wore sporthills with westcomb pants over them. Both pants worked and wore very well. I didn't like the price tag of the westcombs, but after the hunt I can justify the cost. I give em' a thumbs up.

Default Marmot Scree pants

These are awesome for about 60-70 dollars. I think that people haven't tried these or they would get a lot more press.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I've been looking at the Marmot Scree pants (online) for a while and they were one that I thought might be worth while looking at IF I can find a retailer that sells them. Marmot's website lists them for $100 US.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast