Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser Action, What to do with it?

Default Mauser Action, What to do with it?

I just picked up a new Zastava Mauser action for a good price and am now considering what cartridge to camber it in. I was thinking about a 338-06 but was also thinking a 375 Ruger or maybe there is something out there that I have not considering that I can't live without. What would you make it into?

9.3X62 is a classic in the mauser, quite capable too I might add!

Default 9.3x62

+1, classic Euro caliber for a nice Euro rifle; Great performance and very underated.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

.338-06 would be my choice, specially now that brass and the rest is more expensive than ever. There are plenty of .338-caliber bullets you can choose from, and you can use .30-06, .35 Whelen, and even head-stamped brass for it. Check the price of some of the EU-calibers' brass, and you will understand.

Default 9.3x62?

Is that also based on the 30-06 case? What kind of performance (speed and weight) do you guys get from it?

Can 06 cases be used to form the brass?

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    .338-06 would be my choice, specially now that brass and the rest is more expensive than ever. There are plenty of .338-caliber bullets you can choose from, and you can use .30-06, .35 Whelen, and even head-stamped brass for it. Check the price of some of the EU-calibers' brass, and you will understand.
    +1 for .338-06 but I'd consider the Ackley Improved version. Or consider 375 Whelen Ackley Improved version. RayfromAK is right about the choice of .338 bullets and great flexibility.

But, ultimately, it's what you want to do with it. We've all got our prejudices and favorites but it really comes down to what you already have, what you don't have, and what you want to do with the rifle.

Whatever you decide I hope it's a shooter.

Good luck.

Default 338 bullets

Looked at Barnes' online data and they list .338 bullets from 165 to 250 grains. I could only find 235 to 270 for the 9.3x62 and no where near the number of manufacturers making them. The 165's were going about 3200fps to which is impressive for that weight bullet out of a 06 case. It looks like it compares very closely with the 338 win mag.

How much is to gain by going with the AI version of the 338-06. Is the gain going to be 100 fps or better?

Does anyone know if someone has the 338-06 AI finish reamer and go guage locally?

Quality 9.3 Bullets are made by Norma and lapua.

Im in the 9.3 crowd, it has the essential coolness for a Mauser besides being ballistically superior to its smaller cousins while easier on the shoulder

[QUOTE=hntr;576646]Looked at Barnes' online data and they list .338 bullets from 165 to 250 grains. I could only find 235 to 270 for the 9.3x62 and no where near the number of manufacturers making them. The 165's were going about 3200fps to which is impressive for that weight bullet out of a 06 case. It looks like it compares very closely with the 338 win mag.

yeah....the 9.3......look outside the barnes box to find other bullets. You'll discover that the 286 grain bullet is the most common bullet size for the 9.3. Swift also makes a 300 grain bullet. That weight of bullet puts the 9.3x62 mauser in a performance bracket only slightly less that the H & H mag.....and from a standard length bolt. Hats off to the 9.3x62 mauser, I'm glad I own one and I was able to buy a ton of brass for very cheap too! (grafs). Let me refer to a max load from my swift manual: 250 grain a-frame @ 2560 fps. 300 grain a-frame @ 2371 fps.

I like all the medium-bore standard cartridges....so the 338-06 is great too, as is the whelen. BUT......that darn 9.3 is just about as good as it gets IMO.

Default Bullets

The only reason to use a light bullet in a heavy caliber rifle is if you are recoil sensitive. IF you are recoil sensitive the 338 and larger calibers aren't for you anyway. The BC and SD of a 165grn bullet in a 338 caliber is sub-par when compared to its 30 caliber cousin, even if it's velocity is "smokin".

IF you want a popular off the shelf caliber that has a lot of components available try the 35 Whelen. But there is just something special about a classic Mauser; I guess you had to be there! Before you decide what you want to build, shoot as many of the calibers reffered to in this thread as possible. Make your own decision (DON'T RUSH) !! But don't do it simply based on a set of numbers in a book; books aren't recoil sensitive !.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by hntr View Post
    Is that also based on the 30-06 case? What kind of performance (speed and weight) do you guys get from it?

Can 06 cases be used to form the brass?
    Brass can be fire formed from the 06. I generally buy 9.3x62 brass from Graf & Son. It is not priced that bad. I buy the Graf & Son headstamp for practice and save the Lapua stuff for my hunting loads. I am getting almost 2700 FPS from 232 Norma's, about 2625 for 250 grain Barnes and 2400 from 286 Barnes. Some people report higher velocities but I as a rule do not load to max.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The only reason to use a light bullet in a heavy caliber rifle is if you are recoil sensitive. IF you are recoil sensitive the 338 and larger calibers aren't for you anyway. The BC and SD of a 165grn bullet in a 338 caliber is sub-par when compared to its 30 caliber cousin, even if it's velocity is "smokin".

IF you want a popular off the shelf caliber that has a lot of components available try the 35 Whelen. But there is just something special about a classic Mauser; I guess you had to be there! Before you decide what you want to build, shoot as many of the calibers reffered to in this thread as possible. Make your own decision (DON'T RUSH) !! But don't do it simply based on a set of numbers in a book; books aren't recoil sensitive !.
    The main reason for using light-per-caliber bullets is to shoot farther. Yes, with a lighter bullet one can load a cartridge to reduce recoil, but all depends on the powder charge. The more of the same powder added to the case, the greater the recoil. Also, the OP and others aren't talking about the .338WM, but the .338-06 as well as other calibers that use brass of similar dimensions as the .30-06. Some of these these cartridges can be loaded with heavy or light bullets, from 165 grains to around 300 grains. With the lighter bullets greater shooting distances can be achieved, and with heavy bullets a greater punch can be achieved at closer ranges.

I agree with you that there is something special about a classic Mouser action, but such an action has been used from years and years as the base for a lot of different cartridges, including the .338 Sabi, .338-06, .35 Whelen, and just about any other cartridge one can think of for dangerous game hunting. The .338-06, .35 Whelen, 9.3x62, .338 Sabi, and a few others, can't compare to the .338WM in relation to recoil, as much as a .30-06 in relation to a .300WM.

Default Not so

The main reason for using light-per-caliber bullets is to shoot farther. Yes, with a lighter bullet one can load a cartridge to reduce recoil, but all depends on the powder charge. The more of the same powder added to the case, the greater the recoil. Also, the OP and others aren't talking about the .338WM, but the .338-06 as well as other calibers that use brass of similar dimensions as the .30-06.
    SHOW ME anywhere where the reduction in bullet weight increases range !! It only increases velocity and reduces recoil on a per caliber basis.
    It will reduce the arch of a bullet path at close range it does however reduce the down range energy of the bullet in an increased proportion to bullet weight reduction. Heavier bullets retain more inertia than lighter bullets of the same caliber, period. MY bad on the 338 WM, sorry.

SHOW ME anywhere where the reduction in bullet weight increases range !! It only increases velocity and reduces recoil on a per caliber basis.
    It will reduce the arch of a bullet path at close range it does however reduce the down range energy of the bullet in an increased proportion to bullet weight reduction. Heavier bullets retain more inertia than lighter bullets of the same caliber, period. MY bad on the 338 WM, sorry.
    Factory ammo:
    You can enter the data for two similarly constructed bullets, one lighter and the other heavier (of the same caliber), in just about any ballistics table, and more than likely the lighter one will have a greater powder charge. This translates to higher velocity for the lighter one, which allows it to reach farther. However, the heavier one has greater potential for penetration since its SD is greater than the lighter one's SD. This "potential" holds true only with relatively soft or expanding bullets, not with solids. This difference in trajectories is primarily experienced at long range. Also, the heavier one can buck wind to a higher degree than the lighter one

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...e_compare.aspx
    Just compare two similarly constructed bullets (one caliber), but of different weights, and then check the results on the long range table.

One example:
    I compared the first two bullets in the ballistics tables for the .300WM. The first one weights 180 grains, and the second 150.
    300WBS, 180-grain loaded at 2960 fps. It hist the 500-yard mark at -41.0"
    300WGS, 150-grain loaded at 3150 fps. It hist the 500-yard mark at -37.5"

One can control recoil with reduced loads, regardless of bullet weight. But a lighter bullet (same caliber) loaded with a greater powder charge than a heavier one can often be very close in recoil to the heavier one.

This recoil chart tells recoil and bullet weights. As you can see with a lot of calibers, lighter bullets can produce nearly as much recoil as heavier ones depending on powder charge:
    http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=56996

Build a .318 W-R.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

7x61 Sharpe and Hart. If nothing else you won't see many others who have 'em Honestly...if I had a large-ring action, I'd be well on my way to owning a .358 Norma Mag. Always wanted one, even though I've got it pretty much bracketed by my .338 WM and .375 H&H

I've got a small-ring Mauser (38) I was going to turn into a 6.5-06, but I recently found a 6.5 Rem Mag for a price I couldn't refuse. Now I've got to decide what I want to do with my action. Might just end up with a 25" Shilen in 6.5x55.

Default Not so

Factory ammo:
    You can enter the data for two similarly constructed bullets, one lighter and the other heavier (of the same caliber), in just about any ballistics table, and more than likely the lighter one will have a greater powder charge. This translates to higher velocity for the lighter one, which allows it to reach farther. However, the heavier one has greater potential for penetration since its SD is greater than the lighter one's SD. This "potential" holds true only with relatively soft or expanding bullets, not with solids. This difference in trajectories is primarily experienced at long range. Also, the heavier one can buck wind to a higher degree than the lighter one

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...e_compare.aspx
    Just compare two similarly constructed bullets (one caliber), but of different weights, and then check the results on the long range table.

One example:
    I compared the first two bullets in the ballistics tables for the .300WM. The first one weights 180 grains, and the second 150.
    300WBS, 180-grain loaded at 2960 fps. It hist the 500-yard mark at -41.0"
    300WGS, 150-grain loaded at 3150 fps. It hist the 500-yard mark at -37.5"

One can control recoil with reduced loads, regardless of bullet weight. But a lighter bullet (same caliber) loaded with a greater powder charge than a heavier one can often be very close in recoil to the heavier one.

According to the ballistics provided by you, both bullets reached the 500 yard target !! Now how can one shoot farther than the other if both will hit the target. Most hunters in AK would be hard pressed to relate their stories of shots past 300 yds in cases where a 338 size caliber was "NEEDED".

According to the ballistics provided by you, both bullets reached the 500 yard target !! Now how can one shoot farther than the other if both will hit the target. Most hunters in AK would be hard pressed to relate their stories of shots past 300 yds in cases where a 338 size caliber was "NEEDED".
    I don't disagree with you at all, except that at 500 yards one hits over 3+" higher than the other. I was just pointing out that for any caliber there is, going to a lighter bullet allows for stretching the distance, not necessarily reduce recoil. For hunting in Alaska, it does not matter

Default POA

I don't disagree with you at all, except that at 500 yards one hits over 3+" higher than the other. I was just pointing out that for any caliber there is, going to a lighter bullet allows for stretching the distance, not necessarily reduce recoil. For hunting in Alaska, it does not matter

How big is the kill zone on moose where you hunt? Where I hunt it is over 12" in diameter ! 3" on a moose is nearly inconsequential even at 300 yards.NOW 3" on a prairie dog would matter at the same or longer ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast