Thread: bird creek

Default bird creek

Heading up Bird Creek this saturday for an overnighter...going over the pass and up some more...

How is the creek crossing? I don't think that it will be too big of a deal - but have never been up this trail.

How is the trail past the creek crossing?

Default Bird Creek Trail

The crossing should be easy right now. If you get several days of rain, it might be dangerous without a partner to brace with. The trail up to the pass may be a muddy mess, calf deep in spots, if the horses have been churning it up. Bring gaitors!

Have fun, that is awesome country.

Default Dead Horse

There is a dead horse on the creek crossing about a mile past the river fjord...there is a sign about 100 feet before you can see the horse giving warning.

We saw big boar tracks on the trail on Sunday, and a sow and 2 cub griz on saturday up high that we bumped down low. There are a couple blackies in there also.

Be careful - no good way around that crossing.

A dead horse? I can't say I've ever come across one of those on the trail before. I assume there is some Anchorage or State regulation requiring that the body be removed within a certain time?

That is some serious meat for area carnivores.

Default Not sure.

I don't know what the nat'l park requirements are up here. When I went into the Bob Marshall in MT and other parks in Colorado and Wyoming, dead stock was to be removed by the owner. Some cut them up and hauled them out - some blew them up with dynomyte.

I suspect that this horse may be almost gone by now with the bear sign that we saw in the valley. At least they were nice enough to post a sign with warning.... I would think that there is some liability if someone were to become part of the feed pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I would think that there is some liability if someone were to become part of the feed pile.
    Yes, you get to sue the bear!

Default Not me.....

I heard bears don't like lawyers or their clients.........