Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall Solo Hunt

Question Dall Solo Hunt

Dall Solo Hunt

DS-185

Left house at 10am ready for a 3-4 day hunt.

Glassed sheep at 11:15 am.
    Hiked up to 5000 feet, about 1000 ft above the area where the sheep were spotted by 5:00. Sheep returned by 6:30.

I stalked and picked a spot to hide. A shot presented itself and I took the opportunity dropping a half curl like a sack of potatoes with a surgical shot through the lungs and heart at 200yd. (Savage Tactical-300 winmag)

Camped out overnite with one in the chamber. Stashed my gear packed out the sheep and was home butchering by 4:20 the next day.

Should I have waited for a larger ram?

All the best,
    artic andy

Congrats again Andy, glad to see you posted this.

I think it should be noted that this was Andy's first big game hunt and first time dealing with field dressing! You did well my friend!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic andy View Post
    Dall Solo Hunt

DS-185

Hiked up to 5000 feet, about 1000 ft above the area where the sheep were spotted by 5:00. Sheep returned by 6:30.

I stalked and picked a spot to hide. A shot presented itself and I took the opportunity dropping a half curl like a sack of potatoes with a surgical shot through the lungs and heart at 200yd. (Savage Tactical-300 winmag)

Camped out overnite with one in the chamber. Stashed my gear packed out the sheep and was home butchering by 4:20 the next day.

All the best,
    artic andy
    Absolutely not, you did right by taking one first chance you got, congratulations!!

You are the only one that has to be pleased with your animal. If you're happy that's all that counts. He eats great and who cares about horns anyway? Unless you're a dreaded "head hunter".

Pictures? Would love to see em' if you got em'.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

great job! as was stated before if your happy who cares what everone else thinks. Its been my experience the more emphasis there is on bringing home a large trophy to impress your friends the less enjoyable your experience tends to become its almost disappointing to shoot a small animal because you worry about what others will think i would never look down on others for shooting anything they wanted to shoot its up to them and who are we to judge others hunts, were their hunts not as great as somebody elses because they didn't shot a trophy bull, i think not. anyways far enough off topic, sorry. excellent hunt!

You got meat and meat is good. Probably a few years yet before your sheep would add the the genepool and the bigger stronger ram is still putting kids on the ground which is a good thing.Congrats

First hunt and you killed a ram?!?! Congratulations! As to your question of whether you should have waited.... well, I for one shoot the first legal one I see of whatever it is I am hunting. I figure any animal I can harvest is a gift to be cherished. Some of them will be big, and some small. Imagine how you would feel now if you would NOT have shot him. Lots of guys have been chasing rams around for years and have never gotten a shot at a legal one. I say nice job, learn from your experience and hopefully there will be many more years of successful hunts! Whether you kill a critter or not!

I second pictures.....congratulations

Congratulations Andy.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Solo Hunt

This was my first Dall Sheep hunt, and my first successful game hunt ever.

Over the last three years I have tried to bag a moose but have been unsuccessful. It's been alot of sitting in the woods and squirl watching. I have never even seen a legal moose in hunting season. So I don't know if those day trips really count as hunting trips or not.

I sent some pics to my friend because I couldn't figure out how to resize them. Hopefully he can post them soon for me.

All the best,
    Andy

Default excellent

A well processed young dall sheep ram......in the freezer. You done good!

Your friends and family should be proud. Your a fine hunter.

I ate my last piece of Dall backstrap last night and I'm already scheeming in my head.

Andy's sheep, a big 3 year old, and very tasty!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default yumyum...

man.... you guys shave me drooling for some sheep steaks...

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by arctic andy View Post
    Dall Solo Hunt

DS-185

All the best,
    artic andy

For a first big game animal that is awesome. Not too many guys can say their first big game was a sheep, regardless of size. Now, to the question at hand...I would have waited if I had plenty of time and felt confident of harvesting something if "Mr. Big" didn't present himself. Either way, you are the one who has to be satisfied...think of it this way, if you'd have killed a 40+ incher you would have been spoiled and never would have wanted to go back...

Actually Sockeye1 Andy has the bug bad now! We had a running bet whether a successful harvest would end his hunting career or be just the beginning. You see Andy is a former deadhead that for many years didn't eat anything with a face. About 3 years ago he tagged along on a couple of evening pick up hunts, like he said mostly squirrel watching but enough to get him started. Last year he purchased a rifle from me and did some short hunts on his own. This year he hit his sheep tag and scored, he has put in more field time than me since then. A 40 would only have stoked his fire more! He is already talking about a November goat hunt, moose up by Fairbanks and this winters draw.
    BHA Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Special thanks to Rick P. for three things:
    1) resizing and posting my photo
    2) talking me through the post kill nasty on the cell phone
    3) meeting me at the trailhead to poke the head with a stick

All the best friend.

Sheep Meat Processing:

I was going to age the meat but after eating it twice a day for two days I realized that it was the best tasting meat I had ever had and didn't want to mess with it. Packed and froze it, then and there.

Also made lamburger, Dallogna(bologna), cured/smoked summer sausage and corned sheep from the brisket for St. Patrick's day.

I have a degee in Hotel and Restaurant Management so I am skilled in the kitchen.

Goat hunting soon!!!

Default Dont hold out on recipes!

Many of us folk are always looking for good recipes, even from 'rookies' CONGRATS on the score and rookie no more!!

Thumbs up

Nice sheep and good job doing it solo! Did you seriously carry a Savage tactical up that high?

We both have.

Actually kinda miss the beast, my 338 win/mag seems to like to eat scopes!
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast