Thread: Seattle to Whittier

Default Seattle to Whittier

OK,

I know there are folks here that have done this trip either in full or partially.

I will be doing this trip in a 1986 Sea Ray 300DB Sedan with inboard gas engines. I plan to take my time and enjoy the trip.

I am still a few years out, but want to start my research and gathering of materials such as charts etc.

Any information and/or experiences you have would be greatly appreciated.

My one concern is the run across the top of the gulf. I think once I leave SE and enter into PWS will be a great day and end the pucker factor.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I made the inside passage trip from Bellingham to Juneau in the spring of 2007. Before I made the trip, I attended a two-day seminar on inside passage cruising. If you're interested, here's a link to info on the seminar--which is presented every year:

http://www.insidepassagenews.com/seminars_menu.html

I found the seminar useful, but by no means essential. I'm sure you could prepare adequately by reviewing some of the cruising guides, charts, etc.

The cruising guides I looked at included "Exploring Southeast Alaska" by Don and Reanne Douglass, "Charlie's Charts North to Alaska" by Charles and Margo Wood, "Marine Atlas" volume 1 (Olympia to Malcom Island) and volume 2 (Port Hardy to Skagway), and "Proven Cruising Routes" (volume One--Seattle to Ketchikan) by Kevin Manahan and Don Douglass.

Nowadays, you can pretty much download and print all the NOAA charts you want for free. The Canadian charts are a different matter, though. Here's one source for charts:

http://www.tidesend.com/

Can't really help you with the Gulf part of the trip. My sense of it is that it's all about watching the weather and waiting for the right time to go. First from Cape Spencer to Yakutat, then from Yakutat to PWS.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Here's a few more tips:

Plan your entire route in advance, including where you're going to moor/anchor each night.

Make advance reservations at marinas you plan to tie up at.

Identify alternate anchorages along the route in case you need to duck in somewhere.

Know where the trouble spots are, such as areas of shoaling, and narrows with strong currents.

Plan to transit narrows, such as Dodd Narrows and Seymour Narrows, at or near slack water.

Keep a close watch for logs.

Pay close attention to weather forecasts.

Plan for where you're going to get fuel, water and supplies along the way.

Know what the rules are for checking into Canadian Customs, and plan for where you're going to check in. (Lots of folks check in at Pender Island.)

Know the rules for checking in to US Customs (normally at Ketchikan).

Make sure your boat is in top mechanical condition and that you're familiar with its systems.

Take along tools and spare parts.

There's more I'm forgetting, but I'm sure others will chime in . . .

Thanks! This is a start.

So you have to stop in at Canadian customs and then U.S. customs, just like driving?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Roger on Canadian and US Customs. Also, be aware that Canadian Customs is really picky about who they'll let into Canadian waters these days. If anyone on your boat has a prior DUI or criminal conviction (even some misdemeanor convictions) they may not let you in. So check on the rules in advance.

I just did this trip this spring between Seattle and Juneau. It was a great trip and not as difficlut as I would have thought. I got a lot of books preparing for this, and I ended up deciding the the Don and Renee(sp?) Douglas Exploring books were the best, and I recommend getting the full series (they are broken up by area).

I have some other books that may help you out. PM me if you are in Anchorage and interested.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Fuel

The other thing that comes to mind is that planning your fuel stops can make a big difference in cost. I think I had over a 400% range in the price I paid for fuel. The little out of the way places can be quite expensive.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

If you decide you like the Douglass books, you might want to consider the seminar. Don and Reanne Douglass are usually the hosts and primary presenters at the seminar.

I think the Admiral and I will attend one of the seminars. I can't wait to do this, but still have LOTS of work to do on the Sea Ray. I did complete the pooper system last night, finally. The sensor for the waste tank was $220! But now she has a place now instead of a bucket/porta poti and I, the deck hand, am still required to use the swimming platform......

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

If memory serves me correctly, they canceled this class last year due to lack of attendance, so I would make sure they are committed to having it before you buy tickets in case them canceling is a common thing.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, they canceled this class last year due to lack of attendance, so I would make sure they are committed to having it before you buy tickets in case them canceling is a common thing.
    thanks for the info

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469