Thread: Taylor Twosome

Default Taylor Twosome

Just back from another taylor highway success. My partner bagged a 57 inch bull and I took a 7ft calf eater. I know how much you guys like pictures so I will try and post a couple. Shot the bull on day 3. On the eve of day 2 we called him from about 1/2 mile out to within 400 yards but I did'nt take the shot. I figured that was a bit out of range for the old .375 shooting 270 grain arty rounds and it was 8:30pm. I could hardly see more then a sillouette in the Leopold 4 power. So we got up the next morning and called again and this behemeth came stomping in with his 2 girlfriends and a tree hanging out of his antlers. My partner and I seperated and of course he ran smack into my pard and he took him with one shot from his trusty 300 win mag at about 50 yards. On day 5 we are glassing again and see 2 wolves. Put a stalk on them but they ran off before we were in position. So we returned to our glassing area. We thought it was a little odd that they would leave so quickly but we soon found out why. A 7 ft bore was in the tree line that we could not see. So here we go, putting our 2nd stalk of the day on nearly the exact same spot. The bore never knew what hit him. The first shot put him down but he got back up. 2 more shots and he was down for the count. The hide was prime. Not a rub mark in it and the hair was thick and 4 inches long with perfect silvering of the tips. We harvested the hide and meat and called it an exceptional day. Tomorrow night we eat grizzly burgers and relive the hunt at the dinner table with the wife and sons. Tonight we had moose meatloaf.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Congrats on the moose and the claf-eater!! Great story to go with it. You'll have to let us know how the grizz burgers turn out.

Nice hunt, Marvin! Great bull and a well haired moose eater too.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default nice story

Good job on those two! Now lets go fishing again!! Oh Wait, I still ned to bag my cow

Ken

Great Hunt ! Congrats ! For a second, I thought that Marc Taylor was publishing one of his Las Vegas escapades...

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Congrats Marvin. Great pics. You had more luck than I did. Read my post about an empty handed success. Wish you had been there for my second sighting. I'm sure you could have called the big guy closer. See ya later, Pam

Just finished up a fine meal of grizzly bear burgers. All the family agrees (except for the son who shot the black bear) it tastes better then the black bear taken this Spring. Not as good as moose but definitely in the same class as carribou for us. We got about 40 pounds off the 4 quarters but the shoulders were both shot up. Now I wish I would have taken those tenderloins and backstraps.
    MMSI#

Default congrats

I just returned from the Taylor as well. We did not see anything other than a cow/calf last Saturday. Were you in the western part of the unit? Just wondering. I love hunting the area but have not had much luck at all in the eastern part of the area.

Thanks for sharing what you can.

Congrats on great looking critters. We saw some grizz and wolf tracks but did not find either one to "bring home".

Brian

Congrats on the successful hunt.

Default Looking Slim

Marvin, You look like you lost at least 1 to 2 pounds. Nice looking bear. Got back last nite from the Ak range with a small 43 incher in the any bull permit area. See you at work.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Marvin, You look like you lost at least 1 to 2 pounds. Nice looking bear. Got back last nite from the Ak range with a small 43 incher in the any bull permit area. See you at work.
    Oh, I see. The phone call last night to get those reds out of your freezer, it's all starting to make sense now. If once those reds are gone you still need to make more room, I'm sure I could fit a back strap or two into my freezer. Just to help you out of course.

No weight loss here. At least not after that stop at Slow Eddies in Tok. They have a really large burger there. I'm sure that put back on anything that I may have worked off. I think they call it the Denali or the Alaska or something like that.
    Regarding freezer space, I just had to wait til the spousal unit ran some errands then I cleaned out the freezer(sound familiar anyone)? 2 year old ham bones and half boxes of frozen waffles, frozen rhubarb, give me a break.
    After that was filed, all the meat fit just fine.
    We had some friends up there hunting the East side. They did alright, 2 small bulls in the 30-40 inch range. We hunted the West side but it is much more difficult terrain. Lots of swamps, rivers and bottomless muck holes to sink your ATV and roll your trailer.
    MMSI#

Default Sweet double dunker!

Nice job Marvin! Let me now when you're bringing steaks to work; I'll be there.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Hey, Lets have a feast. You guys bring some moose & bear to work and since I didn't get anything this fall, I'll bring some halibut I got while fishing on Ebbtide this summer. I'll bring some potatoes, too!! Do we dare to share?!??