Thread: Loading for 35 Whelen

Default Loading for 35 Whelen

Well, like I brought up in another thread in the gunsmithing section, I've pretty much run the course with figuring out my Kimber montana in 30-06. I screwed up and went to boondocks to pick up a primer pocket uniforming tool, and walked out with a Ruger Hawkeye in 35 Whelen to start playing with.

I have a b'gillion 30-06 cases, so that was one deciding factor in getting the Whelen, since I wanted a little more power than the -06 for bears (lots around my cabin). I started necking up a bunch of cases, and "surprise" they come out shorter than the trim-to length. Is this going to continue to be an issue, or will they grow back to specs after a few firings? Is this something I should be really concerned with at all? Cases that started out at 2.484 in 30-06 came out after sizing in the 2.462 range. Normally, anything I accidentally trim to less than 2.482, I toss in the "save for something later" bucket. So what do you guys think? Also, while the subject is up, any pet loads for the Whelen? I have a ton of RL-22, RL-15, Varget, and some AA2495, Win 760, H4895, and RL-19... So far I only bought one box of 225 gr Accubonds to start playing with.

Thanks!

FWISW- I just pulled out some once fired factory Remington .35 Whelen cases and they measure out around 2.482 - 2.486 OA.

I won't worry about the short cases but watch the overall length when you try to crimp. Cheap necked up cases and rifles is what made the Whelen great - if necked up '06 case length was a problem the cartridge won't be with us today!

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    I started necking up a bunch of cases, and "surprise" they come out shorter than the trim-to length. Is this going to continue to be an issue, or will they grow back to specs after a few firings? Is this something I should be really concerned with at all? Cases that started out at 2.484 in 30-06 came out after sizing in the 2.462 range. Normally, anything I accidentally trim to less than 2.482, I toss in the "save for something later" bucket. So what do you guys think? Also, while the subject is up, any pet loads for the Whelen? I have a ton of RL-22, RL-15, Varget, and some AA2495, Win 760, H4895, and RL-19... So far I only bought one box of 225 gr Accubonds to start playing with.

Thanks!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default It don't matter...................

A few thousandths short will not matter to the cartridge. There is plenty of neck on the '06 case anyway and I would just trim them all even to the same (shortest) length. Uniformity in length is more important than correct length. Too short is ok, too long would be a problem. Also, you do not want your cases to grow. There is a finite glob ( a technical term)of brass there. More isn't hauled in to supplant the case material. When a case grows it is stretching. This stretching makes the case thinner somewhere. That somewhere is usually the case body just above the webb. This stretching results in a thin ring around the body and will eventually lead to a case separation, severing the head and webb of the case from the body. It wasn't good for Marie Antoinette and won't be for the case. Do not full length size cases more than is necessary for crisp bolt closure and there will be little or no stretching. Enjoy your Whelen, a fine round and a sound rifle. Did you get the pocket uniformer? You don't want to have to go back, who knows what you'll drag in next!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Another vote for "it won't make a bit of difference."

Cases being a tad too short won't make a bit of difference. I agree with Murphy, trim them all to the same length and keep check on them from there.

I have been loading for the 35 Whelen for some time and if there is a better powder for it than Reloader 15 I have not tried it. IMR 4064, W748 and others work well, but in my experience RL 15 gives great velocity and good accuracy in the Whelen. The 225s (Nosler & Sierra) are fine and I have shot several deer with them (as well as the Speer 220), but I love the 250 Hornady (SP & RN) and the 250 Speer Hot-Cor for bigger game. IME at the Whelen velocity (2550 fps) with the 250 grain bullets I get near perfect performance on critters big and small. Enjoy your Whelen, I know I do mine.