Thread: Alaska fish and game to the Gov of South Carolina

Default Alaska fish and game to the Gov of South Carolina

Rumblings from the underground.

2,646 pounds of moose, caribou and fish were sent via Alaska Airlines Flight 130 from Kodiak to the Chicago Tribune Newspaper; the Airway Bill # is 7951-0701.

It's been said similar packages went to Colorado and to the Gov of South Carolina.

Question

where did the moose and bou come from on kodiak?
    who sent it?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

avalanche..how do we tap into this "underground"?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    how do we tap into this "underground"?
    It takes "An Act of Congress". Not for the run of the mill citizen to even consider "tapping". That's why it is called the "underground".
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    avalanche..how do we tap into this "underground"?
    avalanche?

Man you need to take off the tin hat if you want to get into the underground.

Alaska Air flights out of Kodiak are 47 and 49... flight 130 is a flight from Anchorage to Chicago.

BTW..I'm glad to see that the hunting group for the Chicago Trib, the one from Colorado and the good governor are actually taking their meat home..unlike most non-res hunters
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Question uh... i'm a little unclear on this...

so what, if, as akdoug implies, this was just non-residents who took their meat home with them.
    whether they work for a newspaper or are the governor of S.C., it doesn't matter if they were just flying their meat home...
    do you allege some wrong doing?
    if so, be specific.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave
    Put your tinfoil hat back on. thier mind controll is working.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    so what, if, as akdoug implies, this was just non-residents who took their meat home with them.
    whether they work for a newspaper or are the governor of S.C., it doesn't matter if they were just flying their meat home...
    do you allege some wrong doing?
    if so, be specific.
    No, I think it is great. Apparently it really is not too expensive for non residents to come to Alaska and hunt and take the meat home too.

It should actually be required that all successful non resident hunters and fisherman take what they kill home.

The anti's wont have such a credible argument that non resident hunting Alaska are just killing for horns or that we are game farming for trophy's.

Quote Originally Posted by GENX View Post
    No, I think it is great. Apparently it really is not too expensive for non residents to come to Alaska and hunt and take the meat home too.

It should actually be required that all successful non resident hunters and fisherman take what they kill home.

The anti's wont have such a credible argument that non resident hunting Alaska are just killing for horns or that we are game farming for trophy's.
    Not too expensive for one of the owners or managing editors, or the SC governor, all who make and have more money then most of us. What is this, bash the non resident hunter week? Most cannot afford to send 2646 pounds of moose, caribou and fish home. Not to mention that there are no moose or caribou (reindeer yes) on Kodiak.As long as they do it legally and arrange for the proper use of the meat, there's absolutely nothing wrong.
    So if your fried, brother etc comes up hunting with you and takes and animal, gives you half the meat he's less than a hunter and should be banned from Alaska? Get real.

There is an exception for the next of kin non res guide rule so I don't suppose it would be inconsistent to have a meat rule for next of kin that discriminated against the other non residents who are not so fortunate to have next of kin residents living in Alaska to give half their meat too.

Kind of a parallel rational to your justification relative to it not being too expensive for "wealthy" non residents to ship fish and game out don't ya think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Not too expensive for one of the owners or managing editors, or the SC governor, all who make and have more money then most of us. What is this, bash the non resident hunter week? Most cannot afford to send 2646 pounds of moose, caribou and fish home. Not to mention that there are no moose or caribou (reindeer yes) on Kodiak.As long as they do it legally and arrange for the proper use of the meat, there's absolutely nothing wrong.
    So if your fried, brother etc comes up hunting with you and takes and animal, gives you half the meat he's less than a hunter and should be banned from Alaska? Get real.

Default Hmm??

I've read the two previous posts about a dozen times and can find no parallel.
    I shipped 50# of bear to my father in law once. Cost me almost 300.00. Couldn't imagine what a moose would be. I see no problem as long as the meat is taken care of properly. Maybe we need to lose the myopia here and remember that nonresidents fund almost all wildlife programs in the state for doing so they get to come and hunt and fish. Its an exchange of resources. All too often the solutions presented on this board can be summed up with "Blame Them". Wasn't that the original intent of this thread. I guess I just disagree with all the bashing.

It all depends how you ship. If you come prepared, or get prepared, with coolers and meat boxes you can ship via Alaska Airlines for far less than $6 a pound. Hell, last year I carried on 25# of frozen turkey meat right into the cabin with me from Santa Rosa, California. I just got two small coolers that would fit in the overhead bins. I carried one, my daughter carried another.

Alaska Airlines charges are $15 for your first 50# bag, $25 for your second, and $50 for your third. Each additional bag is $100.

It's going to cost you $35 right off the bat for your gear and rifle. After that 400# of moose meat will cost you (considering 40# of meat per cooler) $950. Less than $2.50 a pound if you use the most expensive method.

Now, Alaska Airlines Cargo charges right around $0.95 a pound from Anchorage all the way to D.C. or Orlando for regular freight. BUT...if you go to their commodities page they ship meat for even less..something around $0.50 a pound.

IMHO there is no good reason at all to come to Alaska, kill a moose or caribou, and not take a majority of the meat home. I can understand sharing the meat if you are a single guy or gal, but at least take some home. Plan for it, have a plan in place with Alaska Airlines cargo, and have coolers or appropriate fish boxes ready to go. I know that if I ever go elk or deer hunting down south my meat will be coming home with me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up

So the Gov of SC was in Alaska hunting moose and not in South America hunting two legged cougars....

Yeah I know, but someone had too.......

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Take the Meat Home

I gotta agree with AKDoug on this one. I fly all over the state for work, and cannot tell you how many out of state hunters I see leaving with no meat. There were 2 leaving Kotz yesterday. I have also talked to a bunch of people out in the bush who are tired of non-res hunters trying to pawn their meat off on them. Sure some would like to get some meat, but from what I hear, it is usually not very well taken care of. One lady said it best when she told me that she was tired of trophy hunters trying to give away their stinky meat. Maybe they would take better care of it if they knew they had to take it home with them. I also don't buy the idea that they cannot afford it. If I can afford to fly up to Nome from D.C. and go on a fly in hunt, I should be able to afford another $700 for shipping my meat home.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not a hater. I'm glad that out of staters come up and spend their money here. I appreciate them for it. I would just like to see them take out all the animal, not just the rack.

I was very, very, very fortunate to be invited on a trip to Alaska many years ago when another hunter backed out at the last minute.
    After ten days of hunting and fishing I had two boxes of Salmon, Grayling and Trout and a cooler full of Caribou meat. The thought never crossed my mind not to take it home.
    For me one of the greatest pleasures is being able to share the bounty with friends and family.