Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5-300Wby Custom In The Works

Default 6.5-300Wby Custom In The Works

I have just finished negotiating a price for work on my next custom rifle with my gunsmith. I think we both are excited about my next project. I know I am excited and will have fun this spring.

In January I will begin the process of redoing my shot out 300Wby which will become a 6.5-300Wby. It will have the German Mark V receiver with a #3 contour 26" Stainless Lilja barrel, bedded in the McMillan stock, with a new Timney trigger to replace the factory trigger. The McMillian Stock will be redone in a Green Shade like my Custom 30-06. Long Range scope yet to be decided on.

I will use this on long range shots on gas lines, across large open fields and out west. This will take care of my long range nich.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very cool BT! That barrel should last at least 150 rounds

WOW, it should be a real lazer... Are you getting new brass and how do you plan to form it?

And of course, what bullets and powders do you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Very cool BT! That barrel should last at least 150 rounds

WOW, it should be a real lazer... Are you getting new brass and how do you plan to form it?

And of course, what bullets and powders do you have in mind?
    Yeah, at least 150 rounds 140gr around 3400-3500fps. I do not want to push this cartridge at full max charges because that will really shorten barrel life. I will push them just under max and let the great BC of the 6.5 carry the day. I learned my lesson the hard way with my 257-300Wby.

Not sure about bullets but powders in the H870 class and it will be new 300Wby brass that I will reduce to 270 then to 6.5. Really not settled on process but have plenty of time to lay all of that out by doing a lot of research on what others have done.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm thinking bushing dies would do the trick well - especially with a custom chamber. If you had a bushing die for your 300, all you would need is a couple of new bushings. Just a thought

I'm thinking bushing dies would do the trick well - especially with a custom chamber. If you had a bushing die for your 300, all you would need is a couple of new bushings. Just a thought
    Yes. a lot to consider but I have plenty of time to get my stuff together. Will be taking my time with this one. Not going to rush into powder, bullets and such with out a lot of study.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Decided to go with a 30" barrel to burn the 85grs of powder down a 6.5mm tube. The extra barrel length is more than reasonable and is needed if I want to get to 3400fps plus out of a 140gr bullet and not push over pressure loads. I have three months to really refine what is needed and my reading while also receiving comments from others like you all will get me in the ball park. Thank you
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default I might be doing the same thing.

I really want to do this with a sheep rifle. I have thought about trying to find an Ultralight 300Roy that is shot out and putting a no 3. fluted 26 in Hart Barrel for this caliber. Sort of defeats purpose of Ultralight but would have enough weight to point well and would be a hammer in the mountains.

I don't know where to get dies so your progress and efforts are greatly appreciated.

The 264 Win is a historic dall sheep killer. No. 1. No. 3. No. 6. All killed with 264 Win.

The 6.5MmX300Roy is a beast and I want a slightly lighter but vicious long range gun that can handle Brown Bears with Norma Alaskan 160 grain bullets. They may not be as accurate as others but they will work great in the brush or In defense of property.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Sounds like a cool project. Its very similar to what I have been thinking of doing when my 300 barrel goes out in a couple years.

I find myself struggling with the wanting to do the 270/300Wby project I was going to do when I finished my 257/300Wby the more I research and dig into this. Will do one or the other. I have all the brass, bullets and dies for the 270/300Wby project that I never did and that is a drawing factor also.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Just curious, but why go with the Weatherby case when you could have a non-belted magnum? And why the #3 barrel contour when you can easily use the McMillan HTG stock in up to a #5 varmint contour? Get that barrel fluted and you don't give up much weight at all but the rigidity will deliver better long range performance.

When I think about 6.5mm rounds, I recall that the first stainless barrels ever factory installed were on the Win 70 in .264win mag. The stainless was required to give some kind of halfway decent barrel life. Like you guys are joking around about 140rd barrel life, in a .300wby case which is 25% greater in terms of capacity than the .264win... Almost think the Shuttle's booster rockets will have longer life than your barrel. But should be fun and longshooting.

I am just glad there are enough guys keeping the gunsmiths off the street. Think what might happen "out there" if those guys weren't kept busy!

I understand the lure of the big boomers. Sold my ultra-mags and .30-378 for various reasons. Now if you are going for accuracy with this new rifle the .338 Norma case might have a lot of promise. In 6.5mm it would look like a .224WSSM on steroids, but should give you same or better performance, in a shorter, non-belted case. Then again a necked down .300WSM would also be very viable; plus you aren't looking at $1.50 per case for brass; not like that is a factor.

Have never really understood the gain of the Weatherby radial shoulder design. Thought about Improving a .300win with a Ultra mag AI reamer, but keeping the same win mag oal. Still thinking that one over.

Actually, you might look at the 6.5/.284win... Not a mag ctg for sure but maybe you can get a PTG replacement bolt and have a switch-barrel rig supreme? Nothing much better in the 6.5 category than the 6.5/284 among 1000yd competitive shooters. Those guys gripe about 1200rd barrel life in that round.

Best of luck on your upcoming hunt. Nothing better than the planning and anticipating of a new cartridge or rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by lester View Post
    Just curious, but why go with the Weatherby case when you could have a non-belted magnum? And why the #3 barrel contour when you can easily use the McMillan HTG stock in up to a #5 varmint contour? Get that barrel fluted and you don't give up much weight at all but the rigidity will deliver better long range performance.

When I think about 6.5mm rounds, I recall that the first stainless barrels ever factory installed were on the Win 70 in .264win mag. The stainless was required to give some kind of halfway decent barrel life. Like you guys are joking around about 140rd barrel life, in a .300wby case which is 25% greater in terms of capacity than the .264win... Almost think the Shuttle's booster rockets will have longer life than your barrel. But should be fun and longshooting.

I am just glad there are enough guys keeping the gunsmiths off the street. Think what might happen "out there" if those guys weren't kept busy!

I understand the lure of the big boomers. Sold my ultra-mags and .30-378 for various reasons. Now if you are going for accuracy with this new rifle the .338 Norma case might have a lot of promise. In 6.5mm it would look like a .224WSSM on steroids, but should give you same or better performance, in a shorter, non-belted case. Then again a necked down .300WSM would also be very viable; plus you aren't looking at $1.50 per case for brass; not like that is a factor.

Have never really understood the gain of the Weatherby radial shoulder design. Thought about Improving a .300win with a Ultra mag AI reamer, but keeping the same win mag oal. Still thinking that one over.

Actually, you might look at the 6.5/.284win... Not a mag ctg for sure but maybe you can get a PTG replacement bolt and have a switch-barrel rig supreme? Nothing much better in the 6.5 category than the 6.5/284 among 1000yd competitive shooters. Those guys gripe about 1200rd barrel life in that round.

Best of luck on your upcoming hunt. Nothing better than the planning and anticipating of a new cartridge or rifle.
    Lester, outstanding post, very thought provoking as well as interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post such info and detail.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Let me stop this before it goes any farther. Sorry for the thread. I have weighted the evidence of the 6.5/300Wby, the 270/300Wby and the 7mm/300Wby and have decided that I will chamber my rifle in 300Wby again with a 27" #4 barrel and that is that!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

No appology necessary BT... it was fun thinking about it it would have been a really cool cartridge but the 300 is a great choice to.

I'm votin' for a #5 fluted, 27" Lilja Same weight but stiffer and reeeeeal cool

No appology necessary BT... it was fun thinking about it it would have been a really cool cartridge but the 300 is a great choice to.

I'm votin' for a #5 fluted, 27" Lilja Same weight but stiffer and reeeeeal cool
    Yeah, had another friend say I should consider the #5 and also fluted. The barrel will be stainless, 27" and a Lilja and the contour I will debate with myself later even though at the moment it is #4.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Look guys, I am not stopping the 6.5/300Wby effort for no reason.

The trouble I have discovered talking to Smith's who build F-Class rifles with big case 6.5's is high pressure in long barrels.

One smith who does know his stuff said,

"The most common chambers I do for these F-Class rifles are the 6.5x.284Norma and .308win. The 6.5x.284 will shoot faster in a 27" barrel than in a 30"......??????........I am no engineer but I think in our testing is that the super long VLD's in 6.5mm....worse than any other caliber.....have a ton of bore drag and the longer they are in the barrel (longer barrel) the more pressure they build up. We are using 3grs more powder with lower pressure and higher velocity in the shorter barrel. I tested this with a customers gun. Started at 31" at shortened to 26 1/2" a inch or so at a time. Using the strain gauge it all played out.

One shooter had a similar, but lesser extent, experience with his 31" 338edge.

Back to the big cases. A 6.5x300 will not out run a .264wm by enough to matter. I don't think a 300wby case will get near 3400fps with a 140. A .264 will just do 3000 and a 284 will do 2900. 10grains more powder probably won't get 400fps.As for pressure, all the 6.5's when loaded to the top have spooky pressure curves. I think it goes back to the bullet bearing surface."

These are just a few of the comments that I are consistent with other shooters and smith's who have experience with the 6.5mm in large cases.

I will be happy as a rat alone in a corn bin with a 300Wby with at #4 or #5 contour 27" or 28" stainless barrel pushing a 208gr Amax or 210gr Berger
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Why I thought about it.

I don't know. This would be a setup that could shoot flatter than Warbird if you set it up right.

The 6.5 wouldn't need a muzzlebreak and would be manageable in a light configuration. It would light a caliber that you could get those big norma bullets for BBr. Handloads.com has a load for a 700 Remmie with 30 in Hart Barrel of 84 grains of h870 and 140 grain bullet at 3550 fps. This means that a functional 26 in barrel would probably get 3450 fps.

McWhorter rifles are selling his version of 6.5 Weatherby based on 270 Roy like hotcakes and they say that they are accurate (.25 MOA). I would seek similar accuracy but with a set up that would give me almost BR accuracy with a practical sheep rifle.

I have always wondered about the picture of Harry Swank's Ram at Pick UP in Wilson's book. They have a Grizz hide as well. I bet that his 264 Win killed more than sheep.

I could look up and down for a 264 Win in Pre64. Or I could just find a Classic New Haven Model 70 Action and let those Boys at Hart do their magic. However, the 6.5 X 300 Roy needs a long action and other than going completely custom I have looked at the possibility of having them take a Ultralight Weatherby Action and setting it up with as I said before a no. 3 contour that was fluted at 26 inches.

I would seek to put one of those light 6X or even see if I could get Leupold to come up with compact 10X with Dober dots and thin cross hair.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Look guys, I am not stopping the 6.5/300Wby effort for no reason.

One smith who does know his stuff said,

"The most common chambers I do for these F-Class rifles are the 6.5x.284Norma and .308win. The 6.5x.284 will shoot faster in a 27" barrel than in a 30"......??????........I am no engineer but I think in our testing is that the super long VLD's in 6.5mm....worse than any other caliber.....have a ton of bore drag and the longer they are in the barrel (longer barrel) the more pressure they build up. We are using 3grs more powder with lower pressure and higher velocity in the shorter barrel. I tested this with a customers gun. Started at 31" at shortened to 26 1/2" a inch or so at a time. Using the strain gauge it all played out.

One shooter had a similar, but lesser extent, experience with his 31" 338edge.

Back to the big cases. A 6.5x300 will not out run a .264wm by enough to matter. I don't think a 300wby case will get near 3400fps with a 140. A .264 will just do 3000 and a 284 will do 2900. 10grains more powder probably won't get 400fps.As for pressure, all the 6.5's when loaded to the top have spooky pressure curves. I think it goes back to the bullet bearing surface."
    I am not going to argue with all of his info, but a 264 WM (26 inch barrel) will shred 3100 fps with a 140 grain bullet at reasonable pressure levels, at least reasonable enough to give case life of 6-10 shots per case. Never quite got 3200, 3180 or so was max with RL22. I don't think 3400 is unreasonable in a 6.5x300 Weatherby and a 28 inch tube, but I am absolutely confident you will get mid 3300 range if not more. Whether or not that is enough to matter is another question altogether.

I shoot the 6.5s a lot, but I have not experienced the spooky pressure curves before. However I do not have the pressure equipment to really test the ammo either. Strain gauges are effective tools, but they only display relationships of pressure, they do not register actual pressure readings. I would like to see some experiments in actual pressure barrels before reaching any firm conclusions. F class rifles and 1000 yards BR guns in 6.5x284 abound and 140s travel from 2950-3000 fps in most of the guns in which I am familiar, though 3050 fps is not out of bounds. Just more info that doesn't exactly line up with the "smith who knows his stuff."

Well, both of you even though you differ in opinions have convinced me I do not want to go there. I will stick with my 300Wby, seems it is good 600yd to 1000yd cartridge from my experience and certainly others even in competition. The 300Wby will do well for the gasl-lines, big bean fields and other place where I need to reach out and with the added plus of a lot longer barrel life if treated right.

So as you said there would be not need for you to go into a long debate of the comments I posted that some one else made because I don't care about going the 6.5mm/300Wby route now. Thanks for the info and adding to our understanding.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I have just finished negotiating a price for work on my next custom rifle with my gunsmith. I think we both are excited about my next project. I know I am excited and will have fun this spring.

In January I will begin the process of redoing my shot out 300Wby which will become a 6.5-300Wby. It will have the German Mark V receiver with a #3 contour 26" Stainless Lilja barrel, bedded in the McMillan stock, with a new Timney trigger to replace the factory trigger. The McMillian Stock will be redone in a Green Shade like my Custom 30-06. Long Range scope yet to be decided on.

I will use this on long range shots on gas lines, across large open fields and out west. This will take care of my long range nich.
    Could you do me a favor? After you've built these fantastic rifles, then find a new love, please sell me the rifle that fell out of favor, please?

Oh, the 6.5-.300 W will turn 3450fps, but only with a 28"-30" barrel. You can do the same with a .264/.300 Win Mag.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Could you do me a favor? After you've built these fantastic rifles, then find a new love, please sell me the rifle that fell out of favor, please?

Oh, the 6.5-.300 W will turn 3450fps, but only with a 28"-30" barrel. You can do the same with a .264/.300 Win Mag.
    Deal, the next one I fall out of love with is yours.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast