Thread: HR 45 - Blair Holt Firearm Licensing Act

Default HR 45 - Blair Holt Firearm Licensing Act

Okay, everyone, check out or google this House Resolution. A bill is in front of Congress right NOW that will require ANYONE that owns
    -or- purchases a handgun to register with the Feds, be subject to a mental/psych eval at any time, be subject to feds coming into your house to investigate AT ANY TIME, submit a photograph and carry a license at all times. Basically, become a FFL just to own a handgun!
    Write your Senators and Congressman now! This is sneaking its way before Congress right now!

Default Finally

I've been waiting for those *********s to bring this one back. This is perhaps the most insidious, unconstitutional gun grab bill to ever come into existance. It basically would put us into pre-WWII European mode as far as firearms are concerned. Too many details to list, but A.G. Eric Holder, that leftist %$#%$ would have full control of the gun registration process, changing and modifying at his whim. This one can't go into law, not without a big fight. I, for one would oppose this one at every turn. We have to hold the line. Write to everyone, Reps, Glenn Beck, Limbaugh, friends, everybody. I'm sick of the radicals and am doing what I can to get rid of them. It's funny, about a month after the Anointed One came into power, I told everyone I could think of that he should be impeached and got a lot of flack of giving him a chance and not to be a nut job. Right....God Bless the USA!

Do a little research from the source before manning the barricades...

The bill is not "back".

The panic party is just on lap number, what, three around the internet now.

Still dead in committee with no co-sponsors since Feb., still going to stay dead in committee with no co-sponsors.

Well, let's hope it stays that way! In order to ensure that it does, I still think we need to become active and write to our Congress-man about it.

Default Matthew, have you checked out Snopes?

IN the past, they said the concern was bogus, that the bill was inert, but this time they verified that it indeed was active again. Are they lying and why? What sources have you checked? If this is a false alarm, again, I'd like to know. Also, Congressman Broun has sent out requests to help squash the bill. That is something new also.

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Provide evidence in the form of links!

The only Snopes reference to this bill is the original February 2009 version. The page has an addendum in August showing that a link between the Holt bill and the Handgun Safety and Registration Act is FALSE.

If you look at the official GOV websites that show current status of legislation actions, you'll see that HR 45 has had zero action on it since being sent to subcommittee back in February.

All that said, it certainly doesn't hurt to bombard our lefty senator continuously to remind him that he was elected to represent Alaska, which means he must oppose EVERY attempt at gun regulation. Our right senator and representative are pretty much on board with this stuff.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default As Joat said

it does no harm to make our voices heard NOW. Accordingly, I have written to Begich and Young.
    We should no longer be the 'silent majority'. Make our voices heard on this LOUD and CLEAR - with no mistake of our interest.
    For all too long the loud minority have had their way with passing legislation, it is high time we change that.

Los Anchorage

Default I agree that we need to be loud in our opposition to gun restrictions...

But we need to be accurate in our assertations as well... the best information I've found is the NRA-ILA site:

This particular concern is actually addressed on the home page near the top.

I personally think we all ought to be writing once a week to our legislators about our views, and we ought to be sending them fifty or a hundred bucks for their re-election campaigns each time as well if we hope to counter the cash machines the Anti's have mobilized against our cause already. And we ought to be asking them which other congressmen and senators we could best be writing and supporting who are helping retain our gun rights because, lets face it, a couple senators and one rep from the state of Alaska don't hold much sway against the rest of the pack down there in DC.

In fact, I'd be interested to hear from the membership here, which Senator and which Rep is your favorite for supporting gun rights and why? Then I could write them too and say thanks at least....

My vote today goes for: Senator Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) who have introduced S. 941, the “Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization Act of 2009” in the U.S. Senate.

and Representatives Steve King (R-Iowa) and Zack Space (D-Ohio) who have introduced a companion bill—H.R. 2296—in the U.S. House.

The bills would roll back unnecessary restrictions, correct errors, and codify longstanding congressional policies in the firearms arena. These bipartisan bills are a vital step to modernize and improve BATFE operations.

Or (in my language) these bills would hold back those BATFE agents who may be a bit overzelous in their enforcements and their views of their POWER over common, lawabiding citizens

If you dig into the article on the NRA-ILA page, you'll notice that Senator Murkowski and Rep Young are already co-sponsers of this legislation, but Senator Begich for some reason is not, even though it's clearly a bipartisan effort on our behalfs....

I'm writing to them today and say thanks.... and to Senator Murkowski, and Rep Young as well asking them to also express my thanks to these guys for standing up for my rights. And especially to Senator Begich to find out why he isnt listed as a co-sponser as well....

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    IN the past, they said the concern was bogus, that the bill was inert, but this time they verified that it indeed was active again. Are they lying and why? What sources have you checked? If this is a false alarm, again, I'd like to know. Also, Congressman Broun has sent out requests to help squash the bill. That is something new also.
    What sources did I check? Click on the link in my post. That is the the place to check the current status of every bill before Congress. When things change, they will note it.

Snopes, GOA warnings, forum threads and spam emails are NOT authoritative sources. We need to be going to original sources for ourselves, not just taking somebody else's word for it. Being credulous is not a virtue.

This is a case where people who aren't current on the news read an old gun forum thread or get an email from someone equally out of date and revive issues that weren't true the first time around.

As for "well, we should still bring it up to our legislators". True, we need to keep them on notice we are watching on gun-rights in general, but stating incorrect info as fact or going off half-cocked on non-issues costs us, as a movement, credibility.

Better to play it smart and stick to current facts rather than be seen to be crying wolf or playing chicken little. More credibility means more impact when there is actually something real to complain about.

We need to be smart about this, not panicky.