Thread: What is the maximum hp for a out board on the Keni

Default What is the maximum hp for a out board on the Keni

Just wondered what you need to run the river, pump and or prop?

50 hp propr is the max. In July they must be four stroke or DFI, I believe next year it will be all year though?

I'm fairly certain it goes like this: Below SKilak Lak
    max is 50hp w/ a 4stroke or a 50hp 2-stroke DFI motor (Evinrude or Tohatsu) or any 2s 35hp or less outboard except during the month of July when you may not run any non DFI 2s over 10 or is it 15 hp ? Pretty sure the still have spring restrictions on motor in the "Swan" z one of the Middle just below SKilak Lake.

See a lot of folks running 35 props, 50 props, 30-50 jets (@ the head). I hope it would be at the nozzle but nobody asked me.

Sure if I'm wrong others will chime in to starighten things out..

Too much hearsay (where did this 10-15hp thing come from?). Read the actual reg below. You get up to 35hp if you're 2-stroke, but the grandfather clause on that is going to expire next year. Otherwise you're limited to 4-stroke or DFI 50hp in the river. Skilak and Kenai lakes are unrestricted HP, but are restricted to 4-stroke or DFI.

11 AAC 20.860. Boat Motor Use
    (a) Except as prohibited by 11 AAC 20.865, and subject to the restrictions set out in (b) of this section, the operation of a boat by the use of a boat motor is allowed in the Kenai River Special Management Area.
    (b) On or after January 1, 2008, a person may not operate a motor or combination of motors with a total propshaft horsepower rating or equivalent propshaft horsepower rating greater than 50 horsepower. These horsepower rating limitations do not apply to the following:
    (1) the operation of a boat on Kenai Lake, on Skilak Lake, and on the Kenai River between the Kenai Lake Bridge and river mile 80.7; and
    (2) the operation of a boat by a federal, state, or local governmental agency for the purpose of law enforcement or search and rescue, or for the purpose of fish and game management under a park use permit issued under 11 AAC 18.010.
    (c) On or after January 1, 2008, a person may not operate a boat in the Kenai River Special Management Area by the use of a motor that has been altered or disguised with respect to the manufacturer's propshaft horsepower rating, manufacturer cowling decals, or the model or serial numbers to produce more than 50 propshaft horsepower.
    (d) A person may not operate a boat in the Kenai River Special Management Area by the use of a motor unless the original propshaft horsepower rating of a motor is clearly labeled by the manufacturer or a factory authorized dealer mechanic in the form of cowling decals appropriate to the propshaft horsepower rating. The original propshaft horsepower rating of the motor may be further indicated by a stamp marking embossed in the metal or as part of the model number of the motor.
    (e) On or after January 1, 2008, a person may not operate a boat in the Kenai River Special Management Area by the use of a motor as follows:
    (1) with a total propshaft horsepower rating greater than 35 horsepower, unless the motor is a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection two-stroke motor, as described in Attachment A of the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation, Director's Decision on Reduction of Hydrocarbon Pollution from Motorized Boats on the Kenai River, signed November 16, 2006, and adopted by reference;
    (2) during the month of July, unless the motor is a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection two-stroke motor, as described in Attachment A of the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation, Director's Decision on Reduction of Hydrocarbon Pollution from Motorized Boats on the Kenai River, signed November 16, 2006, and adopted by reference;
    (3) without displaying on the motor cowling a decal issued by the department that certifies that the motor complies with the requirements of this subsection.
    (f) In this section,
    (1) "direct fuel injection two-stroke motor" means a motor whose fuel is directly injected into the top of the cylinder of an internal combustion engine whose cycle is completed in two piston strokes;
    (2) "four-stroke motor" means an internal combustion engine whose cycle is completed in four piston strokes; "four-stroke motor" includes a suction stroke, compression stroke, expansion stroke, and exhaust stroke;
    (3) "propshaft horsepower rating" means the boat motor's original manufacturer rated and labeled horsepower; however, the addition of a jet drive unit to any boat motor does not change the propshaft horsepower rating of the motor powerhead and driveshaft configuration for the purposes of this section.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for setting it straight

One more thing....unlimited hp below the Warren Ames bridge on bridge access road. That means the "dipnet area". But, they still must be 4stroke or dfi.

Default Confused dfi?

I am confused on the dfi? What dose that mean? I have a 2008 mercury 50hp with a jet pump attatcment, should be 35hp at the pump?

Default Thank you

Thank you for your help.

Default DFI

DFI= Direct Fuel Injection. This is a new clean burning fuel technology developed by the folks at Bombardier the parent company of Evinrude. Evinrude E-TEC is their DFI engine. I believe Tohatsu also has a DFI engine.
    Long story short 2 stroke power 4 stroke fuel economy and emissions.
    Pretty amazing video where they hook two boats that are exactly the same both with same size motors and props together Stern to stern.One with an E-TEC one with a Yamaha. They pull the Yamaha powered boat backwards stern goes under and it simks! way cool!
    CHRIS

Default Kenai River Mouth

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    One more thing....unlimited hp below the Warren Ames bridge on bridge access road. That means the "dipnet area". But, they still must be 4stroke or dfi.
    Actually, the line was moved down to mile 4 which is the next corner below the bridge by the dipnetting regs. The 4-stroke/DFI restriction pertains ONLY to dipnetting and not to general boating. You may still operate an unrestricted HP 2-stroke motor below the bridge at this point. You just can't use it for dipnetting. Thus, you can launch your big-hp, 2-stroke inlet boat from the launch at the city dock and head out into the inlet. They will never be able to put such restrictions on that last leg of river at the mouth due to the saltwater port status.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by chinuuk View Post
    I have a 2008 mercury 50hp with a jet pump attatcment, should be 35hp at the pump?
    If this merc is a 4 stroke, then you're okay. If it's a 2 stroke then you can't run it on the Kenai. Old tech 2 strokes are still limited to 35hp or less at the power head (this would give you what...a 20-25hp pump?). The 50hp is only for 4 strokes or 2 stroke DFI's.

Default E-tec

Gusdog44 here is a link to the video on youtube I have the full dvd version but this is the coolest part. CHRIS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

Default Jet vs Prop

Chinuuk the way it reads it is 50 hp propshaft rating.
    If you have a 50 hp prop and put a jet on it you are still good. If you have a 50hp jet that puts out a true 50 hp at the jet unit you are sol.
    Your Merc sounds like it will be fine. I'm guessing it is a 4-stroke?
    You can always stop by state parks HQ at morgans landing and they will give you a red sticker for your motor if it is legal. I believe this is supposed to prevent you getting stopped on the river to have your motor checked out. CHRIS

Thank you all, its a 2008 50hp two stroke, its about 30-35 at the pump, not a true 50 with jet pump on it.

Default More important questions

What are you planing on doing on the Kenai, dipnetting you would be fine, fishing with a jet would be very limited. I say this because about the only technique you could do effectivley is free drift, a technique only done in three different places I know of on the river (Big Eddy, Eagle Rock, Sonar drift.) Back trolling, the most popular technique is almost impossible with a jet (speaking from experience, I attempted to troll with a jet for 4 years) Hope this helps, good luck.

Default 50 hp 2-stroke

Didn't think of that Dipnetter. You are exactly right I guess someone could also anchor up as king season is now closed. Never tried to backtroll with a jet but I can see the problems.
    Unfortunatly with a 50 HP 2-Stroke it would not be a legal Kenai river motor anyway.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by chinuuk View Post
    Thank you all, its a 2008 50hp two stroke, its about 30-35 at the pump, not a true 50 with jet pump on it.
    Nope. This is an illegal motor for the Kenai. You can run it at the mouth up to mile 4, but you can't dipnet from it. You can run it on Kenai or Skilak lakes except in July. You can't run it at all anywhere else on the main stem of the Kenai river.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!