Thread: Antler Spread

Default Antler Spread

Thought these different references might be of interest - width between the burrs - width between eyes - tip to tip ear spread.
    Certainly not "accurate to the "inch"(or two), but, hopefully a starting point.
    Joe (Ak)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Thought these different references might be of interest - width between the burrs - width between eyes - tip to tip ear spread.
    Certainly not "accurate to the "inch"(or two), but, hopefully a starting point.
    Joe (Ak)
    8" between the burrs and 30" between the ear tips are essentially the same measurement my bull had this year.

Joe, have you checked the 10" eye-to-eye measurement on past bulls? That's the one I'm most curious about - I shot a 56" bull back in 2006, and doggone if I didn't totally forget to check the eye width when he was down! I'm leery about the ear measurement because it's hard to catch them with the ears in the right position; I like the eye reference better, but haven't checked it myself and am curious what others have found.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Joe, have you checked the 10" eye-to-eye measurement on past bulls? That's the one I'm most curious about - I shot a 56" bull back in 2006, and doggone if I didn't totally forget to check the eye width when he was down! I'm leery about the ear measurement because it's hard to catch them with the ears in the right position; I like the eye reference better, but haven't checked it myself and am curious what others have found.
    The one's I've checked have been between 10 and 11 inches. Have use all three, but personally prefer, at least more comfortable, using the "ear spread". Not certain it is any more accurate, but does not require as much "multiplying" to get an estimate of spread.
    Joe (Ak)

Generally in the past I have used the ears as a reference but this years moose had some of the smallest ears i've seen on a moose. When I saw him in the open I had estimated him to be in the low 50" class but once he was down and I got a closer look I found his ears to be unusually small. All the other members of my party had guessed him to be in the low 50's when he was actually only 47"s. Luckily for me I saw that he had 4 brow points one the right side so spread wasn't an issue.

I am skeptical of the 15" measurement across the eartips even though I have never measured them. The reason is the measurement is taken on a dead moose, being dead the ears are relaxed and sit lower or drooped, when the moose is alive/active/alert etc. the ears are more erect and often moving in one or two directions. I like to use 24" tip to tip for those reasons.

I prefer the 10" across the eyes as the "go to" method then sometimes use the ears as an additional and comparative method.

I also find the way he lines are drawn confusing from my perspective. Rather than starting the 10" line from the center of the nose outward, I use 10" eye to eye, then that width outward off an eye and estimate additional 10". So in this manner a central 10" with 20" added outside of each eye for a total of 50".