Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle for Women

Default Rifle for Women

I am looking for a rifle for my daughter, she is in her twenties and wants go hunting for Moose, caribou ect. She is average height 5' 6" and average build. I purchased my wife a 7mm-08 several years ago per recommendation, however, she hasn't had an oppurtunity to harvest any game as of yet. Should I stick with this same rifle for my daughter? Any and all recommendations welcome.

Default Rifle for my daughter

I am looking for a rifle for my daughter, she is in her twenties and wants go hunting for Moose, caribou ect. She is average height 5' 6" and average build. I purchased my wife a 7mm-08 several years ago per recommendation, however, she hasn't had an oppurtunity to harvest any game as of yet. Should I stick with this same rifle for my daughter? Any and all recommendations welcome. thanks

nothing wrong with a 7mm-08 for moose, caribou. It's all about shot placement. If shes comfortable shooting it, get her out to the range on a regular basis.

Nothin fancy but my wife shoots a weatherby .270, came with a scope. Great, inexpensive combo cuz I know already she wont be taking care of it in the same manner as I do with my rifles, lol.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

If she wants to hunt moose I would probably step up to a .308 in a similar rifle to your wife's.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think a .270 win mag or wsm would be a good choice

The 7mm-08 would also take a moose but the heavier .308 might be a little better. My daughter has the 7mm-08 and I'll take her moose hunting any time. She has proven it works on caribou and just recently wolf. I have one of each caliber if your daughter wants to try them at Rabbit Creek and check out felt recoil. Of course it differs between rifles but she would get the idea.

I'd try her on the 7mm-08 you've already got.

This is what I LOVE about this forum. Relative strangers that share a bond; a love for the outdoors coming together to get the most enjoyment out of it for themselves and their families. Guys offering to share firearms? COOL. Very cool. BTW, my daughter used my old .300 win mag this year. I have a muzzle break and a heavy rubberized Hogue stock on it. As I said in another post, it only kicks like a .270.

I'd suggest letting her try your wife's rifle first to see if she likes it. But from a woman's point of view, I absolutely love my 30-06. Not only is it the ease of shooting it, but you can find Ammo for it anywhere you go! Its the only rifle I carry anymore unless we are varmint hunting.

"In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

One other items to consider.. You can always go a little larger in caliber if you have the rifle ported or a muzzle break installed. They have their +/- but they do what they were meant to do and that is decrease recoil. My 2c's

Just remember the amount of "kick" a rifle has depends not only the cartridge but how it is shot and the stock design. That .300 winchester magnum held tight to the shoulder and good stock design may not kick as much as the .270 held lightly to the shoulder with a poorly designed stock.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)
    Quote Originally Posted by gman_59 View Post
    I am looking for a rifle for my daughter, she is in her twenties and wants go hunting for Moose, caribou ect. She is average height 5' 6" and average build. I purchased my wife a 7mm-08 several years ago per recommendation, however, she hasn't had an oppurtunity to harvest any game as of yet. Should I stick with this same rifle for my daughter? Any and all recommendations welcome.

I bought a Winchester Model 70 30-06 for my wife when she drew a Delta Bison tag a few years back. Had the stock shortened a little to fit her, added a pachmayr recoil pad and a muzzle brake. She killed her buffy in 1 shot. I don't know of a smaller caliber that you can use on a buffy hunt when they get lucky enough and win that drawing.

My daughter used that same rifle for her first moose hunt this year and another 1 shot kill.

Neither one of them are very big and the rifle is easy for them to shoot. My daughter can shoot 10 to 15 rounds at the range with no discomfort. The down side is the extra noise from the muzzle brake. I make sure hearing protection is handy.

I am happy with the purchase and wouldn't do anything different. Simple, reliable and easy to obtain ammo. A side benefit is that it also fits nicely between my 270 and 338.

I just purchased 7mm-08 for the wife she's 4'11 100lbs loves it.

This is the same rifle I have without a muzzle break.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    I bought a Winchester Model 70 30-06 for my wife when she drew a Delta Bison tag a few years back. Had the stock shortened a little to fit her, added a pachmayr recoil pad and a muzzle brake. She killed her buffy in 1 shot. I don't know of a smaller caliber that you can use on a buffy hunt when they get lucky enough and win that drawing.

My daughter used that same rifle for her first moose hunt this year and another 1 shot kill.

Neither one of them are very big and the rifle is easy for them to shoot. My daughter can shoot 10 to 15 rounds at the range with no discomfort. The down side is the extra noise from the muzzle brake. I make sure hearing protection is handy.

I am happy with the purchase and wouldn't do anything different. Simple, reliable and easy to obtain ammo. A side benefit is that it also fits nicely between my 270 and 338.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

My daughter is 5'3" and about 125# and can shoot her .308 Savage Scout all day with most factory loads, especially some of the cheap NATO surplus stuff. She doesn't like shooting Light Magnum or High Energy at all, but felt safer carrying hot 180gr Partitions in bear country (knowing recoil would not be on her mind if she ever needed them).

I bought my wife a feather weight .280 remington for caribou and whatever she chooses to hunt but, she uses my .30-06 for moose and scored a 58 1/2 " with it a few years ago.

As stated earlier and as shown in other posts, a griz taken by a youngster with a .243win for example. Shot placement is the KEY, always.

Give 7mm-08 a try and let her tell you what she thinks, I think it an excellent starting point and a fine caliber.

I thought alot about the 7-08 but ended up getting my wife a Ruger compact in 308. She loves her little rifle and has harvested 1 moose w/ it so far. She has no problem shooting it numerous times at the range w/ no discomfort.

According to my wife... any caliber that's good enough for a guy is good enough for a gal, as long as we get them the pink stock to put on it!

(recoil is easily tamed and managed by technique)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Being 5'3" and 120 lbs, my hubby bought me a youth model stainless steel w/synthetic stock 30.06 a couple of years ago and it is a perfect fit! The stock isn't too long and being a youth model, no modifications had to be done to the gun to *get* it to fit. It is light and it is an awesome shooting gun!

It has also served me well in the field when moose hunting, had my shot at two moose and took them both with one shot (two separate years - nobody get alarmed!), I was thrilled, the guys were not as they didn't get to shoot too.

Oops.....I thought the thread was.....Raffle for a WOMAN......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast