Thread: First goat and a couple moose.

Default First goat and a couple moose.

Well after months of biting my fingernails waiting to case a goat I finally got my chance on the first. I drew a tag in the twenty mile area and we decided we were going to hike in to look for a big billie. After 7.5 miles ( the day before the season) we made our camp. It was blowing around 20 and the tops of the mountains were covered with fast moving clouds. We ran into another forum member up there that was bow hunting and stopped to chat for a little while. After he headed back down the mountain the clouds started to lift and we got a good glimpse of the mountain. We noticed a big billie bedded down in a inaccessible area and watched him the rest of the night. At about 6:30pm he started to come down into an area that we could get to so we set our plan to head up in the morning and wait him out all day until he repeated his path the next day. 5:00am came quick with out much sleep, knowing my got was within reach. When I got out of the tent I noticed that someone had came in after dark and set up camp about 300yds behind us, so we got geared up in a hurry and headed up the mountain hoping that he didnít see the billie the night before. The mountain was pretty socked in but was starting to clear up in spots. An opening blew though and there was the billie, well below where we had seen him the night before and making his way back to his inaccessible bed. He walked behind a little knob and we made our move. Working our way fast up the mountain and getting into position. A big goat steped out behind the knob and was about to disappear behind another knob. After a quick whistle and a loud bang we had a goat down. It was a 248yd shot and it took us 45min to get to were the goat lay. To our surprise it was not the big billie but a big nanny (9 3/8 in). As we brewed a pot of coffee and took some photos two decent size billies came out from behind the knob 120yds away and watched us for about Ĺ and hour, but we never saw the big billie again. We did spend about an hour climbing around the tops of the ridge to make sure the nanny didnít have a kid with it but didnít find any sign of a kid and by the looks of her I feel it was a safe bet that this was true. After along and heavy pack out we dropped off the meat and the hide, got a good night sleep and headed to Fairbanks were my friend and I both had cow tags. 3 days later we had two moose down and all of our meat hung in a tree and were sipping a beer around the fire. What a great week!!

Congratulations !! I'm sure it was a tougher climb than you let on in your story. A goat is one of the last critters on my list.

Bummer about the nanny. I've seen how easily that can happen. I was packing on a goat hunt near Cordova one time and we saw a huge billy in a bowl. When we got close and peaked over a ridge, a goat jumped up and started running. The client shot it (with the guides ok) and it turned out to be a nanny.....bummed hunter, bummed guide, HAPPY packer!!!

I went and solo hunted my goat permit in turnagain pass this weekend. Soon as I got up, it socked in and blew sidways rain. Hard to spot goats in those conditions. Packed it in the next afternoon and bonzai'd back down. Good scouting trip and workout, but a bit dissappointing. Im hoping to give her another go this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Congrats on the successful hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    . . . but didnít find any sign of a kid and by the looks of her I feel it was a safe bet that this was true.
    Why, was she an ugly nannie?

Great story. Did you take any pics?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default goat

I posted it under the 2009 photos. But here it is again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on your goat! I know how easy it is to take a nanny thinking it is a billy. I was convinced that I had taken a big billy on my last goat hunt until I rolled "him" over and saw teats. She was all alone and without a kid but I would still have preferred to take a billy. Thanks for the great story.

Default Good eater

You'll love that on the BBQ. I know exactly how that happens and it's just fine. Mt. Goats heavily populate various mt. ranges up and down the coast of North America. The Bios account for nanny take. Shooting a Nanny is rather easy to do. She is beautiful and nicely filled out.

Congrats

Bighorse, That is like salt on the wound. I ended up taking most of the meat to indain valley meats to be made into sasage, do to time constraints for getting up to go moose hunting, I kept one backstrap and the tenderloins to eat at moose camp and when I sank my teeth into it I almost cried at what I had done. It was the best tasting meat I have ever had, bar none. Yes even better that blaktail!!! Guess I'll have to get another one next year.

Goat is as good a eating meat you can get JMHO

Default Nice Goat!!!

Send you a PM...