Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8mm Rem Mag Recoil: How bad is it, really?

Default 8mm Rem Mag Recoil: How bad is it, really?

First Post. Hello all.

Ok gang, I recently purchased an 8mm Remington Magnum and all reloading accessories; it should be arriving soon. I have heard that this rifle is (or was anyway) popular for big game in Alaska. This will be my first large caliber rifle - and I am pretty excited - but some of the things I am reading regarding the recoil of this gun are a bit disconcerting.

I guess that I should mention that I live in the lower 48 and that this rifle would be overkill for any game in my neck of the woods with the possible exception of larger black bears. It will be regulated to long range target shooting. The versatility and rarity of the cartridge is what appealed to me, it is a rifle that not many people own, and I am really intrigued by the various loads for it.

That being said, how extreme is the recoil? Am I going to lose some teeth? I am reading of broken collarbones and concussions and foreheads split open and the like. That sounds a bit like hyperbole, but nonetheless this rifle seems to have a beastly reputation. Maybe that is why so few people own it? I doubt I have fired anything in its class in terms of recoil: a .300 Win Mag a few times, heavier loads in 7mm Rem Mag with frequency, and 3" Mag 000 buckshot; all of those will definitely give you a heads up that you have fired something powerful, but I'm guessing not on the scale of this monster...

Quote Originally Posted by mirage4d View Post
    I am reading of broken collarbones and concussions and foreheads split open and the like. That sounds a bit like hyperbole, but nonetheless this rifle seems to have a beastly reputation. Maybe that is why so few people own it?
    Someone is ripping your pants. Tell them to go play in their own pants.

Recoil reminds me more of a 300 Win Mag than a 338 Win Mag. Ballistically it's kinda caught between those two already established, popular rounds. The only reason I think the round didn't take off was that 8mm name. Basically it was way ahead of it's time. When it was released there were ABSOLUTELY NO premium bullets available in 8mm, and the powder selection for large cases wasn't a whole lot better. That's all changed now, and with the reloading outfit you got, it's going to sing.

If you need to use a lead sled in the early stages of load development while you are developing loads and getting acquainted, do it. But with familiarity you'll shoot it well, and the ballistics will work for you.

Congratulations on a great buy. Anyone that criticizes is only jealous.

Its not "a monster" but it will get your attention. If you shoot 000 3 in buckshot loads, you can handle the 8mm rem mag. I have one and use it much like most use the .338 up here. Its a great cartridge that never really caught on.

Thumbs up

When you have fur in the crosshairs, you won't feel it. At the bench, use normal shooting practices, tuck it in snuggly and touch it off. It will push you around, but it's more of a good shove than a sharp kick. I own a 375 h&h, and I have friends that own an 8mm rem mag and a .50 bmg...non are as bad as a load of 3.5" bbb shot out of a SBE. Recoil sensitivity is subjective...some guys start flinching before the gun is out of the case, others don't notice the scope cut intil blood runs in their eyes. I think you'll love that 8mm.

Smile good cartridge that never caught on

As with so many rumors they have the 8mm a killer in recoil. There are a lot of factors that influence recoil. The 8mm is not light but not a bone breaker.
    It is a long cartridge based on the H & H magnum. If the stock is a proper fit and design you will enjoy this rifle very much and it will do a good job in the field. The only draw back is the selection of bullets available.

In a heavier rifle its not any worse than a stout .300Win Mag and easier on the shoulder than a .338. I've got a friend thats hunted with one since its introduction- his report is that it kills stuff like a freight train.

Its sad these things never took off. We could have had a domestic 8x68S...

Not sure about factory ammo these days but I've heard handloading can give you great gains in performance on that huge case.

Default I've shot one since I was 13

I own one and love it! I reload for it. One season I took a black bear, grizzly bear, brown bear, caribou, moose, sheep, goat and sitka black tail deer with it. It is a stopper and is a fine rifle. Recoil is felt, but nothing unbearable. I recently got some casings, but haven't reloaded the 180 grain barnes tsx's in it yet. Can't wait to get it out and shoot again.

Just get ahold of Stan Jackson in Anchorage. He's put muzzle breaks on all my .300's and they all kick no more than a .270. Thanks Stan !

Ahaaa, I think Stan Jackson is not a player - the gentleman is in the L48 according to his initial post. Perceived recoil will be a function of: individual tolerance, rifle weight, bullet wt and vel, stock design, padding and ergonomics.

The 8mm mag has about the same ballistics as the new 325wsm. The first impression I got shooting my 325 using 200gr acubonds was a big surprise, ouch! I eventually installed a limbsaver recoil pad and that cut the recoil in half.

limbsaver recoil pads are great...i'm still a bit buggered by folks saying heavier guns kick less though...you'll like the 8mm, i'm guessing you actually plan on using it in alaska?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 8mm recoil

http://www.bp-tec.com/recoil.htm Very Happy with the ones I have

Let me tell you a story about recoil. Last week end a 13 year old girl, who had never had a gun in her hand, a friend of my 13 year old grand daughter, came to the farm to shoot with us. She was taught to align the sights and squeeze by my well experienced granddaughter and she shot a few 22 LR rounds through a CZ basic rifle. Then she wanted to shoot a pistol. I fetched a Sphinx AT2000, a CZ clone with some refinements, in forty caliber. She shot ten rounds of 180 grains at 960 fps, from 15 yards into a 8 inch group and never once mentioned recoil or any other difficulty. First handgun ever fired, first target ever shot and better than nine hundred adults I've seen shoot after much experience. The moral of this story. If no one tells you this is going to hurt, it won't. Get the idea of recoil out of your head.

My old shooting coach used to say; The wind only blows in the shooters mind. (He would also say shut up and shoot when I began to over analyze anything.) I think this is the same. Recoil only exist if you're made to worry about it. All the horror stories about the 45 ACP round from the 1911 pistol were enough to scare the crap out of the most hardened warrior but after shooting a few rounds it was a simple beast to tame. I will say the 8mm Remington is about like shooting a 243. When you squeeze the trigger the bullet goes where it is pointed. Come to think of it is also like shooting the 22 LR.

On the practical side, if we use good shooting technique, shoulder pocket fit, stock weld, fore grip, etc, everything will go nice and smoothe. Stay in contact with the gun, don't let your grip loosen. Control the rifle not the other way around. All these things work equally well regardless of caliber. If you shoot an ought six well, you can shoot the big eight Remington.

As for the caliber it could very likely be one of the very best candidates for the all around-all world rifle. A very capable cartridge.

As for muzzle brakes (it is brake not break) I consider them to be in the same category of pearl handled pistols and would quote General George S. Patton when asked about them. "Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans.............." You get the idea.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

My 8 mm magnum kicks about like a 30-30. I bought the gun used and it came from the factory with a muzzle brake and a limb saver pad. It shoots so well with factory loads that I am really hesitant to do anything to change the barrel harmonics. I can usually get .5 to .75 inch groups at the range if I do my part. I plan on leaving the muzzle brake on it. It's a Remington custom shop AWR, so I really don't want to modify it. I used it to shoot a nice spring bear.

The 8 mm magnum is a great all around caliber for Alaska. Have fun with your new gun.

Thanks for all the input guys. I had a feeling that I had fallen victim to some misinformation, that is why I posted here, where people seem to really "know their stuff."

limbsaver recoil pads are great...i'm still a bit buggered by folks saying heavier guns kick less though...you'll like the 8mm, i'm guessing you actually plan on using it in alaska?
    It will actually be regulated to long range target shooting for now. I don't really hunt anymore, and I live in Georgia, so obviously not much around here calls for this kind or firepower. Although, from what I am reading around the web, this cartridge is versatile enough that it could probably be loaded down to hunt Whitetails. My brother is an avid hunter though, and he talks of future trips to Alaska, so it would likely make the trip up there with him. Me? I want to come stalk your Salmon one of these days...

Sounds like a good plan. As for hunting deer with it, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The larger caliber bullets built for magnums are no more destructive than those built for "deer" calibers. In fact, they're usually less destructive on light game like deer. I'm not an exception here in brown bear country using my 375 H&H for deer. It's already about the diameter of an expanded smaller caliber bullet, and doesn't expand all that much on deer. Yet it shoots as flat as a 30-06. No penalty for taking deer, plus it's comforting when tracks the size of dinner plates mingle with the deer tracks. Can't beat deer hunting for field time with your bigger guns, either.

Brownbear- exactly. I love the H&H because you can basically eat right up to the bullet hole... A .270 WEA or .300mag is a little bit different!

Default Recoil

mirage4d You should just take Murphy advice Ever hour till you get your new gun gets there you should say to your self " My new 8mm will not have any recoil " " My new 8mm will not have any recoil " " My new 8mm will not have any recoil " 100 times and if you get done before the hours up you can put a spoon on the table and practice bending the hanlde with just your mental Telepathy and by the time you get your gun it will have no recoil and you will be able to wrap the handle of that spoon in to a little ball Good Luck Del

The 8mm Remington Magnum is my favorite cartridge for Alaska. I have killed large bear, caribou, moose, deer, etc. with my 8mm RM. I used 200 grain factory loads straight out of the box and have extreme success with them. My dad's best friend is a long time hand loader that hand loaded me over 1000 rounds of 8mm up to 250 grain Barnes X. His handloads are extremely acurate, but IMHO I don't see how someone can beat the quality of the 200 grain swift A-frame pointed soft point. The recoil is negligible. I also own a 300 remington ultra mag, 300 win mag, 375 H&H, and a 338 win mag and the 8mm RM is by far my favorite rifle. I will never use any other rifle for hunting in this state. And for anyone wondering, the 8mm Mag is superior to the 338 win mag in ballistics at every size bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

My old shooting coach used to say; The wind only blows in the shooters mind. (He would also say shut up and shoot when I began to over analyze anything.) I think this is the same. Recoil only exist if you're made to worry about it. All the horror stories about the 45 ACP round from the 1911 pistol were enough to scare the crap out of the most hardened warrior but after shooting a few rounds it was a simple beast to tame. I will say the 8mm Remington is about like shooting a 243. When you squeeze the trigger the bullet goes where it is pointed. Come to think of it is also like shooting the 22 LR.
    Horror stories about the 45 ACP? My 7 year old shoots my wife's Kimber 45

before the shooting cops jump up, yes we are buying him some shooting glasses and his own headset, he asked to shoot it so we let him borrow moms foamies and get it done, oh he did hit the 9" steel swinging target @ 25' with that shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast