Thread: .308 Win hunters

Default .308 Win hunters

What size animal do you take with your .308 Win?

Give me some examples and some stats.

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by zstephens13 View Post
    What size animal do you take with your .308 Win?

Give me some examples and some stats.

Thanks guys
    Whitetail, mule deer, caribou, wouldn't hesitate on moose or black bear. I usually use the 165 grain bullets. They seem to be optimal for the .308.

Default All sizes

I agree with Bill S. about shooting almost anything with it. I've killed antelope, mulies, elk, moose, goats, caribou and sheep with mine. I don't remember shooting bears with it but my son hunts with it. I shoot 180 grain Speer SP's for bigger game and 165 gr. Nosler Balistic tips for sheep to caribou sized game. That gun and load is capable for killing anything in Alaska including griz, but it's not my 1st choice for it. I killed a 7'9" griz this year and had my .308 in hand, but chose to use my Bro in laws .300 RUM instead. If it was the only gun available at the time, I would have used it with confidence.

The Uganda Military harvested some 10,000 Elephants using the 7.62 NATO (.308 Win.) Ball AMMO.

Alaska_Lanche has a Rem. Model 7 thats bagged Moose, caribou, and a grizz. Sweet little gun and I'll likely get one for the wife...since HIS wife nabbed that one up

Default 308

killed a 6'9 blackbear last year with mine.

I've used mine on a lot of deer, coyotes, even a fox with predictable good results but that's easy. My only reason for not shooting some bigger critter is lack of opportunity.

I wouldn't choose it for griz but wouldn't back down if I had it in hand with a decent shot.

I've hunted moose and caribou without reservation with it and several friends have taken an elk with one. At good range with good shot placement it will get the job done. There are several folks here who've taken everything in Alaska with a .308.

Balllistically speaking a modern .308 is the equivalent of the loads that made the '06's reputations in the 30s, 40s and 50s.

Default Winnie 88 .308

This gun was cut down and ported for kids. My guess is that it has taken Dall Sheep (1 or 2), Caribou (5), and Moose (Lord knows, but in excess of 10 anyway).
    We have used both 165 gr and 180 gr bullets.