Thread: Empty Handed Moose Success

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Empty Handed Moose Success

Just returned from my first moose hunt. All you guys/gals made it such a success. This was originally to be a hunt for my 18 year old son and I, but he backed out. He's too interested in something else with soft brown eyes!

Instead PMac went with me, the researcher from Ireland. I arrived at my hunt site, set camp, and did some scouting. This is where I was, out early, for my first day.

Before I even had time to set my pack down, there he was, Bull-winkle! I was so stunned! I glassed him but could not determine by brow tines his legality. He looked as though he had a large enough spread, but this being my first hunt, I would not shoot unless I were sure. Eventually, he ran off. I was quaking with excitement!

Returning to camp after a day of glassing, PMac and I reviewed what I had done and made a plan for the next sighting. This was where it was nice to have a researcher observing my actions.

The next sighting came two days later. He was a monster, but too far away for me to accurately shoot. A more experienced marksman might have, but I am a novice. I tried to lure him towards me with calls, thrashing, and waving a bag to imitate palms. I kept his attention for a long time. It was amazing how my mind totally focused on moosey! Nothing else entered my thoughts. Before I knew it, several hours had passed but he never came closer. He eventually got lost into the trees.

The only other sightings were cows but even that was exciting.

Before leaving today, PMac asked if I felt as though my hunt were a success or a failure. I said, without hesitation, it was a success. I may not have brought a moose down, but I did everything right. I fully prepared, thoroughly planned, carefully researched, interrogated friends, and went out for five days! I saw two bulls, both of which I think were legal, but put into practice what BOW from ADF&G taught. Yes, I may be empty handed, but it was a success!

Now, I couldn't come home completely empty handed, so I bought three moose that I can still enjoy and display.

YOU ARE ALL AWESOME!
    THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, PAM

you should be a motivational speaker..great write up.. awesome.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Don't forget that you hunted safely. No injuries to you, PMac, or the moose. You will savor your first kill all the more. I call it a success too. Well done!

Thumbs up

Sounds like you had a great time and I hope you have many more.You will probably get a moose when you have no one to help you and then for a couple of weeks the memories will be physical (sore legs acheing back ect) as well as mental

When you're out in the woods the "hunting" is always great! Sometimes the "shooting" part lacks, but you're still out there hunting! There's a reason its called moose hunting and not "moose killing". Your day will come and it will be the same as your last 5 days, but more work.

Pictures
    Place of first sighting and PMac assuming his researcher position!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Second sighting and the three moose I was able to enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amigo, you are probably right.

Great story and congratulations on your first moose hunt success! As your experience builds so will your kill ratio. You got out there, you spotted and glassed and pondered your stalk. You ate camp food and enjoyed the beauty of your surroundings. You felt the adrenaline rush. I think your hooked. I wish you many more successful and safe hunts.
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#