Thread: Brand new to hunting

Default Brand new to hunting

I went on a hunting trip with my wife's grandpa a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get anything, but had and awesome time. I am hooked. I am going to Resurrection pass for a day trip on saturday to try to get a black bear. Any suggestions and things I need to know before I go?

Thanks

Welcome aboard, Newby - both to the forums and to hunting. Your question is rather general and tough to answer without knowing what you already know. My best piece of advice at this point would be to spend time here reading as much as you can. Use the search feature at the top of the page and look for threads on black bear hunting. Read, read, and read some more. Also search through the meat and trophy care forum. Fall black bears can be great eating, so you want to be sure that you know what to do once a bear is on the ground.

Since you just caught the bug two weeks ago, what kind of weapon are you using? Have you had ample time to practice?

This winter sometime you should consider taking the Hunter Education course offered by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. It would be a great help to you as you get started.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine Newby View Post
    I went on a hunting trip with my wife's grandpa a couple of weeks ago. I didn't get anything, but had and awesome time. I am hooked. I am going to Resurrection pass for a day trip on saturday to try to get a black bear. Any suggestions and things I need to know before I go?

Thanks
    Lots of info available on how to hunt them here using the search function. If I was going to provide anything for a new hunter though it would be this...

Thanks alot for the info. The class looks really good. I have a .338 as a gift. I have shot it maybe 15 times three times at a wolf about 250 yards away and missed all three times. I went moose hunting and sat in a stand that was already put up by my wifes grandpa. I am going to hike into resurrection pass, a suggestion from a friend and explore. What should I be looking for far as landscape and areas to scope out?

First of all welcome. If you're going to hunt blackies in the fall look high the bears are on the berries now. Lots of glassing into open areas and you will find them.
    Paul

what is glassing?

glassing- using your bino's to search the surrounding area.

the scopes/binos and spotting scopes are used to "glass" the area

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Have you taken your rifle back to the range to make sure it is accurately sighted in since you missed the wolf? Misses happen - no big deal there - but you want to be sure it is shooting accurately before you go after bear. It could have had the scope knocked off from a fall/bang against a rock/etc. 15 shots is pretty low for going after an animal - I'd recommend some more practice if you can make the time.

Welcome. Are you going in alone? "If" you shoot a bear, how you going to get it out? What gear are you taking with you, water, food, map, compass, First Aid Kit?
    Tell someone where you will be and when to expect you back. Don't take a shot that is beyond your ability and make sure you have a clear target and be aware of what is beyond your target in case you miss.
    Good Luck and let us know how you do.

If I may add, when you are "glassing" for bears, in the berry patches, look for patches with alder or willow cover nearby. Bears like to have a place to disappear to fast. Also, even though it goes against your survival instinct, get as close as you can to the bear before shooting. I like to be within 100 yards so the bullet does most of the work. Also, try to anticipate where the bear will run when hit; chances are he will go right back where he came from because he knows that was safe. Keep shooting as long as he is moving. A buddy comes in handy for this. Wear surgical gloves when skinning and cutting up the bear meat. I almost lost a friend from a blood bateria poisoning he got from a bear's blood gatting in a knick on his thumb from a knife.

Thanks for the information! I just went and practiced with my .338 last night and after a few shots started hitting the target each time. I was flinching and pulling the trigger in anticipation of the kick, so I worked on trying to surprise myself. I am going with two other guys. One is in the same boat as me (brand new) and the other knows what he is doing. I will definatly bring some gloves. Thanks on the glassing term. I have a pair I can borrow.

.338 is a great bear round, but don't scimp out on cheap ammo when hunting bear. Get a high quality bullet with good expansion and send it right through his shoulders. Keep sending those rounds till' he stops moving.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Might consider taking some NRA shooting and safety courses - visit the ADF&G website to see what basic hunting information and courses are available - contact an SCI chapter to see what information they've developed.
    Time spent now to learn basic outdoor skills; basic hunting principles and general aspects of animal behavior will provide the foundation for a life time of learning and ever expanding wildness experiences.
    Good Luck
    Joe (Ak)

Default Recommendation for new hunter

Newby,

You're on the right track to hunt with friends who know what they're doing. I would also suggest taking some of the programs offered by the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. There are shooting courses, basic hunter education, and many others that would be of great benefit to you. HERE'S THE LINK.

In addition to that, there are a number of books in our bookstore here on this site that would be useful. I would recommend Dennis Confer's Hunt Alaska Now, Chris Batin's Hunting in Alaska, and Tony Russ's "The Manual for Successful Hunters". These will get you started with the basics of gear, area selection, and field tactics for the major big-game species in Alaska.

I also highly recommend Jose Ortega 'yGassett's acclaimed, "Meditations on Hunting". It's unforgettable.

You're starting a journey you will likely enjoy for the rest of your life. Hunting can affect almost every facet of your life, and you will learn things in the field that you would have otherwise never known. I hope you're young; there's a lot to learn.

Welcome, friend.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay