Thread: Firewood?

Default Firewood?

Where can I go to cut my own firewood for free?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Where can I go to cut my own firewood for free?
    Where do you live? Alaska is a big place.

Eagle River. Sorry, I'm a military transplant. This is my first winter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    Eagle River. Sorry, I'm a military transplant. This is my first winter here.
    If you're military you can get a permit on both Elmendorf and Ft R. I've never personally done it, but I've known a couple a military folks who have.

Or you can go to the Forestry office in Palmer and get a permit @ 10$/cord. They'll give you maps of places you can go in the valley.

Thanks Chief. I got the permit for Ft Rich and found the place, but there was only some rotting Cedar and a few pines left. Haven't found Elmendorf's stash yet, but I did some searching on my own and found this http://forestry.alaska.gov/ All you need is a name, phone #, and a printer. I printed out my permit (you must bring with you) and plan on checking out the area today. I'll post again if there's any good wood left.

What area did you check? I was up at buffalo mine and there isn't much up there. Was thinking about checking out a different area, but not sure as fuel prices and my haulin truck only gets 13mpg.

I posted a link on another thread, but you can cut beetle killed spruce off of the Seward highway S of Bertha Creek. Check on a map, but that's after you've run around turnagain arm, after cresting turnagain pass, and down the hill as the road makes the bend to the right heading towards the Hope cut off.

I'd hate to run the #'s to see how much "free" wood costs when you factor in what your truck burns on such a trip. Your best bet is to check out craigslist of the ADN classifieds for people who have cleared trees off their land and want it gone. There may be some trail work going on as well, I got several loads from ER high last year when they were putting in X-C trails.