Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Alphabet Hills Moose Hunt - Take 2

  1. #1

    Angry Alphabet Hills Moose Hunt - Take 2

    I lease property in the Alphabet Hill north of Lake Louise. This year since the hunting regs changed to drawing permit only, I didn't get a chance to hunt myself, but was allowing another hunting group to use my camp and related items. When they got ready to get dropped off another camp was in place and my personal items being utilized. A PA-12 was there but the local Air Taxi didn't get a N-number. If anyone knows about this I would appreciate a PM or phone call.

    Ken Perkins
    Ken's Alaskan Adventures
    907-242-3911

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Ken - This is the second time you've mentioned that the area was changed to drawing permit only. This hunt was liberalized, not restricted this year. Residents can still hunt spike/fork/50"/4-brow-tine bulls under a harvest ticket. Non-residents have been resticted from hunting Unit 13 for 10 years, but now are eligible to apply for a limited number of drawing permits with the same restrictions described above. Additionally, there was a drawing for resident-only any-bull tags. If you're a resident, you can hunt your area. If you're a non-resident, you can't...but that's not new this year.

    Hope you figure out who was illegally using your equipment.

  3. #3

    Question

    Deyjavu??? You could have still hunted, as there was no reg change that restricted the moose hunt. I am amazed that the friends could not specify what went on. This sounds all too strange or we need some more info to help you out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    This post is very vague and ill informed we need more info and someone needs to read the regs better.

  5. #5

    Default

    Been gone. Not worried about the regs. Not enough moose in there to satisfy me paying 500 big ones for flying and trying to get a 50" 4 brow tine. Sounds like my friends flew in with the local air taxi operator and found someone on the camp. No one around to talk to...so what do you do? Camp right on top of them? They didn't want to start a pissing match so they moved on to another lake. I really don't care if someone uses it, I just wish they would have made a few phone calls or asked around and had some repsect and common courtesy of other peoples property. My concern now is that when I go in there this winter and/or next fall what is missing, broken, etc. Hopefully nothing and I shouldn't worry about it. But, lots of time and money invested to have someone trash it.

  6. #6

    Default Cell signal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perkak View Post
    Been gone. Not worried about the regs. Not enough moose in there to satisfy me paying 500 big ones for flying and trying to get a 50" 4 brow tine. Sounds like my friends flew in with the local air taxi operator and found someone on the camp. No one around to talk to...so what do you do? Camp right on top of them? They didn't want to start a pissing match so they moved on to another lake. I really don't care if someone uses it, I just wish they would have made a few phone calls or asked around and had some repsect and common courtesy of other peoples property. My concern now is that when I go in there this winter and/or next fall what is missing, broken, etc. Hopefully nothing and I shouldn't worry about it. But, lots of time and money invested to have someone trash it.
    Is there a cell phone signal from there? Was it posted with a phone number to call if there was? I know for myself, when I get in to where I am hunting (not too far from that area), there is no signal and there is no way in hell I am going to travel all the way out to make a phone call (full day's travel one-way). I wouldn't poach another's camp, so that isn't an issue, but keep in mind that whoever was using it may not have had a means to contact anyone. Doesn't make it right for them to use/abuse your stuff, just no way to check on it until they are done with the trip possibly.

  7. #7

    Default

    No signal, but had to make more than one trip in and out. PA-12 with 3 people and gear. Long ways to fly and not have an idea of where you are going and not to do a pre trip flight. How did he know that someone wasn't going to show up and use the camp? Just seems unrespectful and not very courteous to use someone else's stuff.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •