Thread: Anniversary Hunt

Default Anniversary Hunt

Oddly enough, sometimes those 2 words DO go together. I've gotten the nod to plan an anniversary hunt for next fall. I have a few solid objectives on a fly-in drop-off/float hunt for caribou/moose/bear in a few areas I've picked.

Trying to keep logistics to a rough $4k. (thats averaging $1300/person drop-off and 10 day raft rental, or no raft and extra weight costs) She's fairly die hard, doesn't mind hiking and wants to kill something.

I'd like to open it up for other suggestions. Probable 10-day turn around in and out. End of August/1st week of September.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Oddly enough, sometimes those 2 words DO go together. I've gotten the nod to plan an anniversary hunt for next fall. I have a few solid objectives on a fly-in drop-off/float hunt for caribou/moose/bear in a few areas I've picked.

Trying to keep logistics to a rough $4k. (thats averaging $1300/person drop-off and 10 day raft rental, or no raft and extra weight costs) She's fairly die hard, doesn't mind hiking and wants to kill something.

I'd like to open it up for other suggestions. Probable 10-day turn around in and out. End of August/1st week of September.
    Man, that is awesome, sounds just like my wife!!

Get ahold of Larry B over Pristine Ventures and have him set you up a caribou/bear combo hunt, he should be able to fix you up for under $4000.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Man, that is awesome, sounds just like my wife!!
    Ever see a grown man say "tee hee"? I did.

Once the newborn hits the ground she'll be getting more range time with her .270. She's itchin to hang somethin up on the wall next to her Dad's fullcurl shoulder mount.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

You guys must hunt to escape the wife.

Not me. My wife is my best hunting partner in many respects. I think a number of other fellas here can say the same (see bushrat's most recent report for another example). I didn't chime in on this thread, though, as I have very little experience in the way of float hunting.

It might cost you a bit, but have you considered talking to a hunt planner like Michael Strahan? I understand that it would go against the "do-it-yourself" mentality that runs strong in many of us (myself included), but for such a special hunt, it might be worth a small investment for some good planning help.

I'm not against a hunt planner per say, I have enough experience in successful hunts to easily plan..however there's a new player..the wife. So for me that means more work lol. Not that I mind, but I want to make it an experience she would easily do again; cuz if mama's not happy, well..you know.

I took my wife down to moose camp for the first time, was a little reluctant to do so since this is "man's territory" but she really enjoyed it. She told my friends, i'd like to come back if my husband will let me. Well, she is always welcome in any of my camps and I think she know's it but sometimes they like to hear it direct from the source. We might be headed back there next fall, depending on how the draws pan out.

Nah she's along on just about every hunt I've been on this fall from backpacking caribou, goats, black bear in the Kenai Mnts, caribou in the Kenai Mnts, moose hunting in unit 13. In fact the only hunt she opted out of was the goat hunt on Kodiak as October in the rock with bears, wind, and rain for 7+ days with her being the only girl didn't rank up there as much as taking a break from hunting after a solid 2 months of it.

I think its great you are doing something like this with your wife. Just like Brian I have VERY limited knowledge on float hunting. In fact all of my float hunts involve hiking and then packrafting. Good luck in your quest for line up a hunt. Should be a great hunt. I'd do an anniversary float hunt too but I got married in May to avoid a fall anniversary. ;

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I think its great you are doing something like this with your wife. Just like Brian I have VERY limited knowledge on float hunting. In fact all of my float hunts involve hiking and then packrafting. Good luck in your quest for line up a hunt. Should be a great hunt. I'd do an anniversary float hunt too but I got married in May to avoid a fall anniversary. ;
    I'm not opposed to a straight fly in, but there are some advantages to a 1 way, float.
    Gear weight limitations,flight costs (fly in your gonna pay an extra $700/animal roughly). You can cover more ground, if the area you land in shows no sign of animals, float a few miles away.
    We tied the knot Sept 5th, so unfortunately I'm stuck doing annual hunts with her

Default Anniversary Hunt

Congrats man! That is pretty cool that you are taking your wife on an anniversary hunt! I would do a lot of research and find the best all around area (game, good camping, etc.) and make this something your wife will never forget (good time...hunting trips too often turn into survival).

My wife is coming around...she let me go every weekend during hunting season even with a five year old and two month old! And, thanks to a friend, we had moose burger tonight and she commented on how much better it was than beef! I even have her talked into applying for permits for next season! Got more hard work ahead, but hey, I am making progress!