Thread: Crampons and Axes

Default Crampons and Axes

I am tagging along on an October archery sheep hunt and we are looking into getting crampons and ice axes.

We are wanting to take them but don't like the price or the weight that I am seeing.

I like the weight of Kahtoola's microspikes - but not sure that they will fit our boots.

Who in Anchorage should we shop for axes and crampons?

I looked at REI but had major sticker shock when I looked at the prices.......

Any input on shopping, brands, likes dislikes would help out --

thanks

(Wiggys is out for the year).

I picked up my walking ax from Barneys.

Believe it or not, Wiggy's Alaska has some nice ice axes and crampons but the brand name escapes me.

Default model/price

What was the manufacture/price/model etc?

Call 336-1330 and ask the guy holding down the fort for Taylor.

Have you looked into instep crampons? I picked up a pair online for about $50 I believe. I think it was basegear dot com. Short of serious glacier travel, I think they would be plenty good.

Default Barneys

Barneys has the Kahtoola and I think they have both steel and aluminum. I have the steel ones and they aren't too heavy and are more durable. They also have ice axes, but my .02 is to stay away from the Petzl Snowscopic. I've broken two of them and 1 was defective, last time it just wasn't strong enough. I now have the 90cm axe (can't remember the brand) and it's a little heavy but tough as nails.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What was the manufacture/price/model etc?

I got the 90cm SMC Glassade walking ax from Barney's, can't remember the price.

I picked up a set of the Petzl Crab 6 instep crampons earlier this summer for use on my buddy's goat hunt. They cover the instep and heel of the boot. Weigh about a pound for the pair. I found them for around $70 online.

Tried them out on a weekend scouting trip and was very impressed. Awesome for the steep, wet, slippery country goats tend to love. Good for crossing smaller snow fields as well. Having the front of sole free was actually really nice for crossing mixed rock/vegetation. We're going in for a week Friday, and they're an essential in my pack.

I will say that I wear a size 12 Danner boot, and can just barely get them on. They're adjustable, but that's about as big as they go. So if you're wearing a bigger boot than that, I'd go for something else.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default wiggys

Taylor is out of the crampons and I was hoping to find an ice axe cheaper than what he has them for.

I looked at the kahtoolas last night at AMH and they are more than what I was wanting. I am thinking of somethign like the kahtoola microspikes or something similiar, light and fairly cheap.....

I did pick up a pair of la sportiva evo's...if I can get them to be comfortable in the next couple days they might be the ticket for me....they will take a full crampon but I still want something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I looked at the kahtoolas last night at AMH and they are more than what I was wanting. I am thinking of somethign like the kahtoola microspikes or something similiar, light and fairly cheap.....
    Whe I first started using 4 point instep crampons I loved them. Didn't like how they would roll, but they did so much. I graduated to a 6 point system that was even better. I use them when it is muddy most of the time. Even dry days.

Last year I bout a pair of Kahtoola Traction System that adds toe points. Still smaller spikes. Wow!!! These are the best. http://www.kahtoola.com/crampons.html
    You won't be disappointed...I bought them in Los Anchorage at the mountaineering shop down the street form REI. About $100 and worth every penny!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather