Thread: Susitna Flats Report

Default Susitna Flats Report

I flew across the Cook Inlet on Friday in a friend's Cub. The trip was more of a scouting trip than a serious duck hunt. I've always wondered how the hunting was over there, but figured it must be decent based on the number of shacks people have built over the years on the various ponds.

Looking back towards Anchorage with Fire Island on the right and the Knik Arm to the left.

There were vary few birds in the ponds around the Little Su. Most of the ducks were in the ponds closer to the Susitna River. Several hundred geese were out on the mudflats near the tideline making them near impossible to hunt. We did jump several dozen mallards out of a couple of sloughs without any making for an easy shot. We didn't have rooom for a dog in the plane so anything we could have shot would of been impossible for us to retrieve. This would be a great trip to fly across in the afternoon, hunt in the evening, camp for the night, hunt the next morning, and then make the quick flight back.

The Turnagain Arm in the center of the pic and tracks on our "runway".

Default Awesome photos

I always wanted to do a duck hunt like you described! I've flown over the area a couple of times and was amazed at all the habitat. Of course, my thought also was: How do you get around to where the quackers are after that? I think that a small inflatable with an electric or 5 or 10hp gas motor might be a good idea.
    Please let us know, if you do go back, how well you fared as I must hunt vicariously through these posts.

All the best!

emrdux

No need for a boat for most of the ponds over there. Most of the lakes are shallow enough that you could almost land in them with wheels. If the plane is on floats it most likely will only be submerged to the keels. Now where did I put that Trade-A-Plane? A nice C180 would fit the ticket..lol