Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose meat

Question moose meat

I know it is last minute but my friends and I will be on a moose hunt from the 17th to 25th. If we would be so lucky to harvest an animal would any body like some meat. We will be taking some home but it is pretty expensive to take all the meat to PA. Feel free to pm me if anyone is intrested.

I'll take it!
    Paul

If you'll be coming through Anchorage, I know 3 or 4 families that could really use some meat to help them through the winter. I'd be happy to butcher it and pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by jrimby View Post
    I know it is last minute but my friends and I will be on a moose hunt from the 17th to 25th. If we would be so lucky to harvest an animal would any body like some meat. We will be taking some home but it is pretty expensive to take all the meat to PA. Feel free to pm me if anyone is intrested.
    Since our caribou hunt was a bust fopr caribou, I'm in Anchorage and will even meet you at the airport and give you a ride. So yes, I'll take some. 230-4418

Thumbs up in fbks..? i'll hook u up

like u are hunting the "big k" . pm sent... i can hook u up in fbks..
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Suprised

I'm (pleasantly) suprised that you haven't been blasted by the "anti-non-resident" group that pounds you with "you must be a trophy hunter" and explains that, "if you can afford to hunt in Alaska - you should be able to take all the meat home".

At any rate, you have several responsible offers for your meat. Congratulations on how to handle excess meat from one non-resident hunter to another.

Thats a head hunter Phil.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default I'll Blast...

I can't stand the idea of a non-resident coming into the state and not being able to "afford" to take all of the meat home. How about you leave the cape and antlers and substitute the meat? Yes, I suppose I'm a trophy hunting resident in that I love harvesting large antlered/horned animals (and I even take pictures of them). But the meat always comes out first and its the real reason I hunt. I would love to harvest a Rock Mountain Elk someday...and you can be sure that I'll try for the largest I can find, and I'll bring home all the meat...even on my salary.

You can do what you want within the framework of the law, but I have the freedom to not like it!

Default I'll agree...

that it's a bit irresponsible to hunt moose and not take all the meat home.

BUT..... big kudos to you for setting up ways to make sure it doesn't get wasted! Good on ya.

I'm pretty low on the list right now, but I'm in the same boat as Brian. If you have any extra when you hit town (Anchorage) I'll gladly take whatever you and the rest don't.
    9o7
    98o
    6o86

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I can't stand the idea of a non-resident coming into the state and not being able to "afford" to take all of the meat home. How about you leave the cape and antlers and substitute the meat? Yes, I suppose I'm a trophy hunting resident in that I love harvesting large antlered/horned animals (and I even take pictures of them). But the meat always comes out first and its the real reason I hunt. I would love to harvest a Rock Mountain Elk someday...and you can be sure that I'll try for the largest I can find, and I'll bring home all the meat...even on my salary.

You can do what you want within the framework of the law, but I have the freedom to not like it!
    Well, I'll give you props at least for acknowledging the guy isn't breaking the law. Bickering from within is a nasty wart we should be able to heal, but we never seem to be able to.

Do you leave the heart, liver, or intestines in the field? What about the tongue? Some people would consider that wasteful...if indeed those items are left behind.

Just something to chew on. You are correct, you are free not to like it, just as he is free to do it.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Well, I'll give you props at least for acknowledging the guy isn't breaking the law. Bickering from within is a nasty wart we should be able to heal, but we never seem to be able to.

Do you leave the heart, liver, or intestines in the field? What about the tongue? Some people would consider that wasteful...if indeed those items are left behind.

Just something to chew on. You are correct, you are free not to like it, just as he is free to do it.
    From within what? Are you referring to the hunting community? I realize this issue has been dealt with at length, but I'm not going to bite my tongue about what I believe to be a reckless abuse of our state resources just so 'we' can come across as a 'unified' group. In fact, I believe the true strength of any group with like interests is to have in-depth debate about a variety of issues. I'm not going to pretend to understand what motivates a person to kill an animal like a moose and not want all the meat. Yes, if you can afford to hunt one, you can afford to send all the meat home. A grizzly/brown bear, makes sense...a moose, don't get it and won't pretend to.

BTW, I always bring out the heart, liver and kidneys, but not the intestines...I suppose I'm just like every other head hunter

Default Question for those that would call this man a head hunter...

Question for you gentlemen-

Pretend I am a single resident hunter with very few friends and no family (This description does not apply to me, this is only hypothetical). Say I like to moose hunt and love to eat moose meat but only use say 100 pounds all winter for myself. But every year I hunt an area that produces large bulls and hunt later in the season when less spike/fork bulls are available. So I decide to try and find families in need of moose meat, meat that may help them get through the winter a little bit easier. This is meat that would otherwise freezer burn in my chest freezer. Would it still be OK with you guys if I killed a moose with a nice rack and gave away the majority of the meat because I can't use it?

I harvest moose every year and my family and close friends consume it all. I am not in the situation described above, this is just a hypothetical question.

The guy is being responsible by trying to arrange before hand what to do with the meat. As all of you know, a moose (or 2) is a lot of meat and since the airlines are now charging for bags and limit them to 50 pounds, getting that much meat home to PA is very expensive. You can ship cleaned antlers home by UPS or FedEx for actually very little money by sending is "sl;ow boat", something you cannot do with meat.

By some of the logic expressed here, if you give any of the meat away frtom one of your harvests, or kills, then you are a head hunter. Or is it different standards?

The guy is being responsible by trying to arrange before hand what to do with the meat. As all of you know, a moose (or 2) is a lot of meat and since the airlines are now charging for bags and limit them to 50 pounds, getting that much meat home to PA is very expensive. You can ship cleaned antlers home by UPS or FedEx for actually very little money by sending is "slow boat", something you cannot do with meat.

By some of the logic expressed here, if you give any of the meat away frtom one of your harvests, or kills, then you are a head hunter. Or is it different standards?

the years i guided i always brought moose meat home courtesy of my clients and others in camp. #1200-1500 of moose to families in homer, and another guide took a like amount to kenai.
    there was also a list of folks at the water taxi who wanted the meat from moose and bou in dillingham. lots of those folks were unable to hunt themselves and the meat was a welcome benefit from hunters passing through, not all of whom were out of state, either.
    kudos to any hunter who plans ahead to give away what he can't use himself, i have a lot more respect for him than the guys that drop a moose, turn to the guide and say "i hope you know someone who wants this, cause i'm not taking the meat"
    i might ad that part of the subsistence tradition is the sharing....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I don't want to fan the flames but I'll ask a hypothetical question to the original poster.

"If you can 't find someone to take all the meat, are you going to cancel your hunt?"

I have given away some amount of meat in years past and I love to share what I harvest with others but the meat was primarily bound for my table and I cared for it like it was feeding my family because it was. I've also been the beneficiary of other successful hunters who've shared what they took with my family.

But, I've also seen hunters that took an animal with the thought that "I'm giving away the meat" and the meat care they gave it in the field was totally substandard at best. Not saying or accusing that the OP falls in this camp but its happened in the past and it will happen again in the future.

That's an issue in my book. Sharing your harvest is noble and planning ahead nobler in my book but there are some valid concerns when you're planning to kill a 900# animal that you don't plan to utilize personally or at least within your community where you'll be expected to care for the meat with some level of accountability.

This is not an accusation to the OP- but we can all see the situation where someone could dump 500# of nasty, poorly cared for meat on a total stranger on their way to the airport and feel they've fufilled their legal and ethical duty.

Just sayin' the guys who have concerns with this idea do have a valid point and are not just "anti head hunting".

Default respect for the resource

You can label people head hunters or subsistence hunters all you want. It all boils down to having respect for the resources. When you enter the field and harvest an animal it falls on you to utilize that resource to its fullest. Taking the proper steps in salvaging the meat and if trophy hunting salvaging the hide and horns. I have no issue with those that shoot for horns as long as the meat is utilized to the fullest. I have seen spike/forks that the salvage was subpar on and when asked to butcher these could not help but light into the shooter for poor field care. Good on you for outsourcing places for the meat before you have one on the ground, and good luck on your hunt.

I can't understand why some of us find problems with hunters coming to Alaska and not taking the meat back. I have personally witnessed how such a hunter. After checking with the airline to take his meat back home, the price was so steep that all he could afford was to take the meat from a leg, the back-straps, and the antlers. He asked me if I could take the meat, or knew somebody who would. I took it off his hands in a heartbeat, but before I did, we documented the information in the proper forms in the back pages of the AK hunting regulations.

How can anybody complain about a hunter from the lower-48 who is not doing anything illegal? To me at least I find a lot more offense what some of the local hunters (poachers, too) do to Alaska game. I have seen cow moose that have been killed and only a leg or two salvaged, or just bull moose with only the antlers removed. Things like these are done by local hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    How can anybody complain about a hunter from the lower-48 who is not doing anything illegal?
    this has been covered in the "ethics" threads...
    if it is not illegal it is ethical.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I haven't checked into it recently but a couple years ago I figured it out to be about a buck a pound to ship meat out. I'm not sure what it costs to process it since I do my own but .50 per lb rings a bell. If you can end up with 500lbs of cut and wrapped meat delivered home for a $1.50 - $2.00 per pound that's cheaper than buying meat at the store. Just a thought. But, it is within the law to give it a way and as you can see, there are many here who would gladly take it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast