Thread: Kotz Bou?

Default Kotz Bou?

Whats the weather like? Anybody know how and where the migration is ? Leaving next week.

Louie

cloudy up here this afternoon supposed to get pretty bad weather this weekend rain/snow that should get things moving. i still haven't heard of any major movements from people flying there are still small groups around, where are you headed?

Default ???

Ram Air doing the flying.
    louie

Default kotz report

buddy used RAM air about 2 wks ago...two dinker bou and a nice griz
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

no my buddy with an airplane doing the flying

nevermind i misread the ram air thing i though you were asking who was flying i got the report from, sorry.

Just got back from a week up there. We got three mid sized bulls and were happy to get that as many camps were getting skunked. Its still way too hot and the bulls were not moving. We usually get dropped off on the river bottoms but opted instead thi stime to get dropped off in the mountains. Lots of hard work and long hikes paid off. Lots of grizzs too. Good luck.

How far out of Kotz are you flying?

Spent Sept 1-6 in the Upper Noatak on a drop hunt to the south of Howard Pass. I took 2 decent bulls and my non-res. parter took one. Saw around 1,200 caribou in six days. The first few days we were seeing 150 a day the last couple days we were up to 300 per day. Groups averaged 10-20 animals.

Bulls were still traveling in groups and hadn't started mixing to much in with the cows. Most of the groups were headed west not too many moving south.

Not sure how much this helps. They looked like they had began to head towards Kotz in OK numbers but with the warm weather could have stalled. Good luck. The Noatak is a beautiful place to be, wish I was headed back up.

Default Bugs

Fly's on meat? Just off the KUK, white sox almost sent us home.
    Louie

Default Where's the herd?

I know you folks are coming back! What up??????

Apparently it is not "Ethical" for people to give you this information, you'll have to go find the herd yourself!

yep, unethical, no exact info on caribou for you. you'll have come up and see for yourself.

Tomorrow, friday, call ADF&G in Nome or Kotz. Ask to speak to the person who prints the satellite collar map during the hunting season. Ask that person for info on herd positions. They won't give you detailed info, but you should be able to get drainage info.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    Just off the KUK
    Louie
    Post up the pics and story of the KUK and then I'll spill the beans on what I have heard on the Noatak.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Wink

Miss the WACH report guys?

Walt

I'll telll ya first hand.

Yep, we miss the WACH report....

I just came in tonight from above Kiana, a couple hours above Noorvik here on Kobuk River.
    Last week was chilling and Bulls were moving, then. Above Kiana or by Ambler/Kobuk areas.
    Its WARM now, weve only seen our breath twice in the last 5 mornings. The rain last weekend melted what snow dusted the mountain tops, and the bulls have basicly stopped and milled.
    When it cools down, they will get back into the "Rush" as they do, so hopfully there will be lots more head racks tossed aside the river bank, as we have seen hundreds of recent ones, but few fresh.
    Talked up alot of fellow hunters as well, who were comming down river and the migration further up by Onion Portage has slowed to a stop as well.
    There are small bands still moving about , but the big numbers are still holding North.
    Being so warm , its hard to keep a carcass whole and stored outside, so those who got them early are putting alot of meats on racks this week.
    We settled for a cow for fresh meat and were holding for cold weather before we stack 'em up.
    Too bad I was up river yesterday, as guys here at Noorvik score'd a dozen FAT bulls across from town on the first Island.......so you may luck out with a Bull or two, or it may clear up and get cold, and you can score LOTS

Good luck and watch the temps.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Wink

Great Report Strange! Keep it up as many guys will benifit from first hand info!

Walt