Thread: How to decide who shoots.....

Default How to decide who shoots.....

I have a dilemma. I'm taking my two sons moose hunting. Does anyone have good ideas on who shoots first if we see a legal moose? They're not old enough to hunt separately, so we'll be hunting together. I want it to be fair so each as an equal chance, etc.

Thanks

start by flipping a coin to see who goes first then alternate shooter each day. That is how I still do it when in the field.

Who is older? If its the first for either, that's the way I'd do it. First big game animal went to my older bro...

It gets a bit complicated in that, one is a few years older. The ex definitely favors the youngest...but because I don't favor "her favorite" (I try to be fair to both) she keeps telling the youngest that I love the older son more...which is obsurd.
    Anyway, it's obvious to the oldest that the ex favors the youngest; he (the oldest) told me that if he gets to shoot first, their mom will cause trouble. It's a cryin shame because now he's worried about getting one if the other doesn't...and the youngest watches for any sign of favoritism...thanks to their mom. I know it sounds like a Jerry Springer show....but, I can't change their mother. All I can do is be as good (and fair) as I can.

He who spots first, shoots first, unless your an annual team and he scored last year.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Well, it sounds like you have a different situation than I once assumed. The best thing would be to sit them both down and explain to them that you are going to be as fair as you can.

Next, with BOTH of them and you coming to an agreement, have a discussion on what method of 'fairness' you want to approach

-Whoever spots shoots
    -Flip a coin (day by day is what I would recommend, since if you lose it on the first day and the whole season would be shot, that might be discouraging)
    -Year-by-year
    -Species-by-species

Once all 3 of you decide on how you as a group are going to make this fair, then everyone will be happy. This takes any an all drama out of the situation since its 'just the boys' coming to an agreement. Besides, once one of your boys shoots something, I imagine everyone is going to be so incredibly stoked that the other's anticipation will just build that much more!

Default Flip a coin

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    It gets a bit complicated in that, one is a few years older. The ex definitely favors the youngest...but because I don't favor "her favorite" (I try to be fair to both) she keeps telling the youngest that I love the older son more...which is obsurd.
    Anyway, it's obvious to the oldest that the ex favors the youngest; he (the oldest) told me that if he gets to shoot first, their mom will cause trouble. It's a cryin shame because now he's worried about getting one if the other doesn't...and the youngest watches for any sign of favoritism...thanks to their mom. I know it sounds like a Jerry Springer show....but, I can't change their mother. All I can do is be as good (and fair) as I can.
    Chance favors no one. I'd flip a coin let Chance decide.

I'm not sure of your boy's ages but second to flipping a coin I'd make it, "Who spots it (legal) gets to shoot" This actually works out to be a competition with and could motivate the both of them to stay in the glassing game vs. getting bored and wanting to quit. It may also benefit the older boy since he may be more disciplined and patient.

Either way good luck.

Find 2 legal bulls at the same time and have them both take one at the same time. j/k, It's too bad that there has to be issues like that in your family. I agree with the coin toss deal, and then switching each day, in the end hopefully everything works out for you, good luck

Thumbs up

u see its yours.if u want to pass,the the next guy gets to take it......this way it..KEEPS all eyes lookin for game!
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default whoever spots it first

that way it's up to them and they'll be actively trying to spot.
    if you spot first, get them both looking around there until one of them sees it. then it has nothing to do with you or favoring anyone.
    good luck hunting

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    that way it's up to them and they'll be actively trying to spot.
    if you spot first, get them both looking around there until one of them sees it. then it has nothing to do with you or favoring anyone.
    good luck hunting
    I agree. On all our hunts its who spots it has first option. Motivbation to pay attention and a reward for doing so.

Default I'm the youngest of four, and I still say...

... Let the older brother shoot first. If the ex makes a stink about the fact that the older brother shot a moose while the younger did not, simply explain to her that she is welcome to take the younger out for his own moose. .

Yeah, sorry, bad idea. I like the "whoever spots it" idea, with a backup of coin toss in case they both think they spot it at the same time (although that's pretty unlikely). Good luck!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

i would say the older gets to shoot first this year then the yongest next year. as the older will be the first one to be able to hunt under his own tags someday then the youngest will be able to shoot on yours without worrying about older brother. Anyways sorry bout the ex screwin things up good luck with all this its a tough call.

Default What do they think?

Ask the boys. Ask them an open ended question, that does not lead them, so they come to their own conclusion. Most likely each will come up with an answer that defers to the other.
    If they come up with a mutually acceptable answer for them, everybody shake on it, and stick to it. Remember, even kids have a sense of right and wrong. If you dictate what happens, then they both have reasons to be upset, especially in light of the other surrounding issues.
    If they come up with diverse answers, you choose. You are the dad. And my guess is that you already have an answer. If they are old enough to shoot an animal, I think they are old enough to be part of a decision making process.

Let the oldest shoot first, is this the last year that they are going to be able to hunt? Theres always next year for the youngest.

Good advice everyone...thanks. Sounds like the best way is for everyone to agree that "who sees it first, shoots it. If I see if first, they flip a coin.

Thanks again...

Wink Fair chase

We always said the spotter is the shooter, but if the shooter missses the animal is fair game. That almost never happened but you had the chance or the hope that they would miss and you could get a shot in. It did work for me once on Kodiak with my younger brother, nice Buck still hanging on my wall.

This is how my dad did things.

I was born on an even day and my sister on an odd day. If today is even I got to go first, if it is odd she would. This never did apply to hunting but for many other things that we would argue about.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    I have a dilemma. I'm taking my two sons moose hunting. Does anyone have good ideas on who shoots first if we see a legal moose? They're not old enough to hunt separately, so we'll be hunting together. I want it to be fair so each as an equal chance, etc.

Thanks
    If you're setting on a hill "glassing" - let whoever spots the animal have first choice. Sure increases the intensity with which glassing is carried out.
    Have a safe hunt.
    Good Luck

Joe (Ak)

Flip a coin, vest two out of three wins. If the one that gets to shoot misses when it goes to the other one. I like it when one person shots only. Even if the animal gets away, there will be NO who shot it. just my .02