Thread: Having A Variety - Makes For Fun On The Hunt

Default Having A Variety - Makes For Fun On The Hunt

Two great cartridges the 358Win and the 338Win Mag. I do not have a hunting experience with either and only load development with the 358Win. The only experience with the 338Win other than 20yrs ago getting a Ruger Mk II (Tang version) and shooting some factory ammo at the range and the same with the later version Mk II (newer model, three position safety) 338Win I have at the moment.

I will when I get back from my hunt Oct. 10th begin to develop loads for the 338Win Mag. A plus will be using it at least one day on the hunt even though it is a back up at the moment. I will write an article on the 338Win mag and present load work when I am finished sometime in late Oct or early November.

Also, my 45 cal. Cap Lock rifle is back and the new barrel is ready to go. I already have worked up loads for it using Triple-7 FFF and I will commit to carry it one day of my hunt in a very tight canyon I hunt from time to time in Arizona.

It is a 45 Cal cap lock with 31" barrel, .458" grooves and .450" lands with grooves being 50% wider than lands. I have driven a 330gr paper patch bullet 1850fps shooting 3" - 3 1/2" at 100yds using open sights with the older barrel which I did not like. The new barrel is shooting that same load at 1 1/2"-2 1/4" at 100yds with this same load and is at 1874fps.

So I have a 358win, 338win mag, and a 45 cal cap lock custom ready to go and hope that with one of these I get a shot at a black bear. Of course you guys know that I will have a ball just being in those mountains.

Here are some pictures of my 45 Cal. cap lock.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Three more pictures

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Also, my 45 cal. Cap Lock rifle is back and the new barrel is ready to go. I already have worked up loads for it using Triple-7 FFF and I will commit to carry it one day of my hunt in a very tight canyon I hunt from time to time in Arizona.

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle on that project. It's got great potential. I'm still not a long range muzzleloader shooter, but I'm fascinated with your tests. I tend toward larger diameters for killing power, but that's interest, not criticism of long bullets for deep penetration. My current "flame" is a 75 caliber smoothbore which delivers hunting accuracy out to 50 yards. Push me to 100 yards and beyond, and this kid is going to be reading the fine print on all your reports.

Thanks for your work and writing!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Glad to hear you're back in the saddle on that project. It's got great potential. I'm still not a long range muzzleloader shooter, but I'm fascinated with your tests. I tend toward larger diameters for killing power, but that's interest, not criticism of long bullets for deep penetration. My current "flame" is a 75 caliber smoothbore which delivers hunting accuracy out to 50 yards. Push me to 100 yards and beyond, and this kid is going to be reading the fine print on all your reports.

Thanks for your work and writing!
    No problem, it is a joy for me and lots of fun to boot.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Brown Bear, forgot to mention although I believe you remember from my past post that this is a 1&16 twist allowing me to stabilize the longer heavier bullets that retain energy longer and have great momentum while being designed for deep penetration.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Here are the pictures of my paper patched bullets and also some other bullets I have used in testing this 45 cal. cap-lock rifle.

Here are the saboted bullets I have used.

Here are a picture of all the bullets I have fired in this rifle during load work.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS