Thread: Hot Barrel flyers...

Default Hot Barrel flyers...

Well I have never been known as the most patient person... So I may not be that inclined to wait a great deal of time between shots at the range. So I had my Browning A-bolt 325 out to check zero and it will put the first shot on a warm barrel (10 minute wait since last shot) dead on at 2.5" high @ 100 yards. The second fired about a minute later, was about an inch high still pretty close to the same as the first and honestly without a great shooting aid well within my human error. The next shot was about a minute later and it was 7" high and about 8" left. A minute later shot number 4 landed very close to the third and I was annoyed. I have shot other rifles at a similar pace and sure they never grouped truly great but this is the first that I have had spit them out like that. I started to get frustrated and finally took a break for about 10 minutes and the next round again found the 2.5" high that I was looking for. I am now going to take a ride out to shoot a couple rounds on a truly cold and thoroughly scrubbed barrel over the next couple weeks so I can be absolutly positive that it will put em where I want when I head out to Kodiak for goats.

I am curious if others have seen this amount of variation w/ hot barrel shooting. I am also looking for any recommendations on other tricks to make sure I find zero confidently and hopefully without spending a fortune on making holes in paper.

One of the tests I use is the bang, bang, bang test. Three shots as fast as you can while maintining accurate shooting. If they arent under an inch, new load or new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    One of the tests I use is the bang, bang, bang test. Three shots as fast as you can while maintining accurate shooting. If they arent under an inch, new load or new gun.
    I agree with Wildalaska, mostly. 3 shots fired as quickly as possible is indicative of its field performance. Haven't had many animals wait 10-20 minutes between shots to make certain my accuracy is good enough. I love very accurate rifles and own several, but the real world difference in one inch groups and two inch groups at one hundred yards does not show much effect on game animals at ranges out to 300 yards. If you are going to shoot much past 300 yards I agree you need more accuracy, but for most hunting 1.5-2 inches at 100 yards is more than sufficient, IMO.

Default I agree....

A good hunting rifle needs to be fired with a semi hot barrel. There's either something wrong with the load or something wrong with the gun. My personal test is a 5 shot ground as fast as I can shoot accurately. Mainly because my background is hunting coyotes back home and often times 3-4 and sometimes even 5 dogs came in at once. Therefore shooting quickly, accurately and often times off hand was a must. I have translated that into my Alaska hunting. After getting my rifle sighted in on the bench.... I stop using the bench while practicing. Prone, sitting, and offhand is all I shoot. I believe it makes me a better shot.... albeit I have a long way to go to be good.

I feel your pain. I am having similar results with a T3 in .308 I bought last year. After trying five different factory rounds from three different manufacturers I called the factory and spoke with one of their gunsmiths. His first question was "Did you completely clean it when you first bought it before shooting it?", as if he gets this call five times a day.
    My immediate thought was what kinda of customer support I am going to get? I told him yes as I saw it was copper fouled from the factory, nice huh?.
    So to make a long story short it has been sitting in the factory for the last six weeks waiting "for the next available gunsmith". As I was told ten days ago when I got through to a warm body after leaving message after message with two different people who did not return my calls.